Finnish Tramp Ships in the Inter-War Era? - Ships Nostalgia
23:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Finnish Tramp Ships in the Inter-War Era?

User Tag List

Old 6th August 2014, 23:20

Finnish Tramp Ships in the Inter-War Era?

Hello everyone,
I was hoping to find some information on ships from Finland that might have been involved in the tramp trade during the inter-war years (1920s-30s). I had read somewhere that the Soviets were making moves in the late '30s and '40s to try and cut off Finnish access to the main waterways, but I've also read several accounts of liners (such as those on the Finland-America Line) that still made trips even after the war started, so clearly this didn't put a complete halt to maritime traffic from Finland. What interests me more than the liners though is the pre-war and wartime activities of ships in the tramp trade.

If anyone knows of records, accounts, or other sources of info on Finnish tramp ships from the period I'd be very grateful.
Old 14th October 2014, 16:52

You may find something at www.aanimeri.fi
Old 14th October 2014, 17:11

Also Finnish ship registry 1921- is available at http://kauppalaiva.nba.fi/?lang=en but it doesn't tell if the ship was coaster, liner or tramp.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:14

Thanks Jaysav! I'll have a look through those.