Headline Shipping Co of Belfast - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
12:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Headline Shipping Co of Belfast

User Tag List

Old 19th July 2016, 16:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - Present

Many thanks for the video, just stumbled on it! David Alexander was the senior pilot on my watch when I joined BHC, a true gentleman!
Old 23rd July 2016, 17:06

St Lawrence Seaway to Port Arthur - Lakehead Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbrowne_123 View Post
i sailed on the Inishowenhead of the Head lines in 1971
If you ever sailed up the St. Lawrence, to Port Arthur, and landed at Keefer Terminal, my father, Captain R M Browne, a former Captain on the Head Line, was Vice President of Lakehead Shipping. We might have met!
Old 23rd July 2016, 17:42
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by shb64 View Post
If you ever sailed up the St. Lawrence, to Port Arthur, and landed at Keefer Terminal, my father, Captain R M Browne, a former Captain on the Head Line, was Vice President of Lakehead Shipping. We might have met!
Alas no! I only got to know David when I joined the pilots and having sailed with Bank Line we never made to the St Lawrence.
Old 23rd July 2016, 17:46

Thanks for responding! I appreciate it. Not sure any Head Line people are left anymore. My father passed away in the early 90s.

Good to hear from you, though. Best wishes!
Old 23rd July 2016, 23:37
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by shb64 View Post
Thanks for responding! I appreciate it. Not sure any Head Line people are left anymore. My father passed away in the early 90s.

Good to hear from you, though. Best wishes!
shb64. Susan P Carter has a Headline Group on Facebook of which I am a member, she is also a member here. She has a fund of information on The Headline.

We would like to hear from you. David.
Old 11th December 2016, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgurggle View Post
It was Head/Lord Line later was Head/Donaldson Line.
Head Line was a fore-runner of Port Line via JP Corry who still exist in Belfast as a timber merchants. Head Lines history is very complicated & verrrryyy interesting.
McG
Inaccurate statement, in part.

Ulster Steamship (Head Line) / G Heyn & Sons had no connection whatsoever with J P Corry or Port Line.
Old 8th February 2017, 12:14
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - Present

Hello all, I just joined. My father was a Radio Officer on the Carrigan Head, Patrick G. Murray in the early - mid 1960s. I am delighted to have the opportunity to find all this information and photos about the USS Co on your forum.

Many thanks,

Patrick Murray Jr.
Old 8th February 2017, 16:24

Smile Patrick Murray - R/O CARRIGAN HEAD

Hi Patrick,
Welcome to the group. They are a great bunch. You may also like to join the Facebook group "HEAD LINE SHIPS" which has 60 members, and lots of photos. Some would've served with your dad. It's at https://www.facebook.com/groups/5765...?ref=bookmarks
if you are interested.
Cheers,
Suzanne Carter
Old 4th October 2017, 22:00

Hi all,
If anyone remembers Billy Gardner ex 3rd mate Head Line, 2nd mate Everards,he sadly passed away some time ago, relatively young, his wife Lena died last week,
R.I.P.
Old 31st December 2017, 10:02

captain maxwell

hi ruud, my two uncles sailed on inishowen head they were called charlie and Alex whitlathey sailed under a captain maxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud View Post
Ahoy,

Found the Fair Head, here her details:

Fair Head[1573 GT] built in 1957 at the Arnhem Shipbuilding Co, for the Ulster Steamship Co.-Belfast.
She was inaugurated the Head Line's service from the U.K. to the Great Lakes trade.
Specially strengthened for ice navigation over her whole length and in addition has an ice-knife at her stern, rather unusual for British ships,her equipment includes special wharping and mooring gear required for passing through the locks above Montreal.
LOA:258'
B:42'
D:18'
Eng:Werkspoor-Lugt diesel of 1800 bhp at 164 r.p.m with direct drive gives her a speed of 13 kn.
Old 28th October 2018, 11:52
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1986

Hi All, most enjoyable Head Line site, I joined Head Line in 1958 as sixth junior engineer on the Roonagh Head, worked on the ship in H & W, and went through the ranks on this ship up to Chief Engineer, sailing as Ch Eng on all the Head line ships.
Left Head line when it was obviously going out of business and sailed with Harrisons (Clyde) Glasgow as Chief Engineer, including commissioning them for U.M.S until retiring in 1986, commissioning some for U.M.S. Quite a few Head line ex Head Line officers were in this company. Harry Kicubbin.