Liberty ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liberty ships

User Tag List

Old 28th June 2011, 18:09

I joined a Liberty in Garston in the early fifties for a trip round to Preston, expecting to sail in the morning and be home again that night so I was very jury rigged. However, the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley, and instead of going straight up the Ribble we anchored off for the night. During the night a bit of a breeze got up and the sea became a bit lumpy. At daybreak the Mate went forward to see how the cable was taking it. To his horror he found that whereas he had let go, say, four shackles the night before there were now seven shackles out, and even as he watched a bit more cable jumped over the gypsy as the ship pitched. So it was up anchor and off to Ramsey Bay to take shelter amongst all the coasters that were already there. It was quite a laugh to listen to the comments of their skippers on their radiotelephones at the arrival of the big fella amongst them. We couldn't respond because deep sea ships didn't have radiotelephones at that time. Anyway, the weather didn't get any better and after waiting for a few days we went back up the Mersey and docked in Garston again - five days after we left. Thus I learned the hard way never to tell the girl friend I'll be back for tea and never to join a ship jury rigged even if it was just to cross the river.
Anybody else ever find that the cable could jump over the gypsy on a Samboat?
John
Old 14th September 2011, 19:49

USA Liberty Ships....

http://www.usmm.org/libertyships.html#anchor435563
Old 15th September 2011, 01:33

I spent close to nineteen months on the Ivybank(Walter Husband,Sam York) from 1949 to 1951, and I must say I found her a very comfortable sea ship,at least with the midd ship accomodation one could get to the bridge from the crews quarters dry, no running for your life along flying bridges, and I did not find her overly hard work on deck, with the number of trips for phosphate to Nauru and Ocean Island we did, we had quite a bit hatch board excercise, and derrick up and downers, and many times that was with "new" crew the old crew members having Jumped in NZ, but once a system was worked out, things got easy, unless of course the discharge port was Port Lincoln or some such hole in the wall
Old 8th November 2011, 12:23

<<On the same wartime period the US also built about 500 VICTORY cargo ships 18,000 tons dwt, steam turbine, 6000 SHP 16 knots or 8500 SHP 17.5 knots ...>>

Although I never caught actual sight of her, I've never forgotten an incident off Bangkok in Feb 1967 when 'Greenway Victory' was trying to inform the local station that she was approaching and would need to dock. I had to relay for her because she could not be heard by the station for some reason (my own ship, the 'Speybank', was parked in the bay awaiting entry and we were in that position for 4 days, I recall). The sparks on the Victory ship was VERY inexperienced and his sending speed must have been something like 2 or 3 w.p.m.

Is it agreed that Victory ships were closer to 10,000 tons dwt rather than 18,000?
Old 9th November 2011, 20:19
Organisation: Coastguard
Department: Engineering
Active: 2007 - 2013

For those interested, a few more Liberties can be found still living, at least in part, out there.

The former Albert M. Boe is still relatively intact, but landlocked, serving as the cannery Star of Kodiak in Kodiak, Alaska (Seen here).

The former Richard Henry Dana and Jane Addams have been cut down to near the waterlines and filled with concrete, but are still afloat as floating quays in Portland, Oregon. (The Dana is seen here.)

Nearby in Portland, parts of several Liberties supposedly can be seen protruding from the riverbank where they were used as landfill after the war. In addition, further up the Columbia, the hull of the Davy Crockett, a Liberty converted to cable-laying barge, was recently scrapped after being left derelict on the river. Seen here, and here.

Lastly, the former Charles H. Cugle is still afloat as the MH-1A (also known as Sturgis), a floating nuclear power plant in the US Reserve Fleet on the James River. In the background seen here.

Just thought I'd pass on a little bit of what I've managed to dig up.

Last edited by Fairlane500; 10th November 2011 at 16:08..
Old 10th November 2011, 00:17

My location
Isn't there supposed to be a beached Liberty in Vladivostok?
Old 10th November 2011, 02:59

You might be talking about the Odessa, former Mary Cassatt (see here). Unfortunately, as far as I've heard, she was scrapped within the past few years.
Old 10th November 2011, 15:17
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Stanpit boat

Does this count ?

http://www.strollingguides.co.uk/boo...es.php#stanpit

Name of orignal vessel unknown - unless someone here knows more ....
Old 10th November 2011, 16:12

Also, to add another couple relatively intact "survivor," the former Josiah G. Holland, later the Cygnet III, Batsi, and finally Ekaterini G, still in place where she ran aground on Alaska's Great Sitkin island. Seen here.

The former Francia A. Retka, later the Liberty Bell, I.R. Lashins, Southport, and lastly oduna before being lost on Alaska's Unimak Island in 1965. Seen here.

The former Richmond P. Hobson, later Nueva Esperanza, and lastly Trebisnjica, lost on Hogsty Reef, Bahamas in 1963. Seen here.

I can't confirm the current condition, but seventies-vintage photos show her to be relatively intact. The Francis Preston Blair, forced aground on Saumarez Reef in the Coral Sea. Seen here in 1974.

The former Allen G. Collins, later Lyon, basil II, and lastly Ever Prosperity, wrecked on New Caledonia in 1965. Seen here.

Last edited by Fairlane500; 10th November 2011 at 17:03..
Old 11th November 2011, 20:00
Active: 1956 - 1970

There is a preserved Liberty in Piraeus, I think I would have preferred looking at her than all the old stones in Athens.
Old 30th March 2012, 08:16

Ivy bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Mackintosh View Post
I spent close to nineteen months on the Ivybank(Walter Husband,Sam York) from 1949 to 1951, and I must say I found her a very comfortable sea ship,at least with the midd ship accomodation one could get to the bridge from the crews quarters dry, no running for your life along flying bridges, and I did not find her overly hard work on deck, with the number of trips for phosphate to Nauru and Ocean Island we did, we had quite a bit hatch board excercise, and derrick up and downers, and many times that was with "new" crew the old crew members having Jumped in NZ, but once a system was worked out, things got easy, unless of course the discharge port was Port Lincoln or some such hole in the wall
I worked on the Ivy bank around that time as a fitter one ngine room repairs.All Liberty ships I worked on between 1947/1950 had oil fired water tube boilers(Foster Wheeler?)I was amazed in 1965 when travelling as a passenger on the Orcades at the number of Liberty ships still in service.They had a reputation for broken tail shafts due the critical speed of the shaft being to close to the shaft speed.
JIM GARNETT
Old 30th March 2012, 12:53

My location
The thumbnail is the Empire Capulet built by Redheads in 1943. She was a coal-burner and was soon to have her armament hugely increased for the Normandy landings. I was a middy in her for the last year of the war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Empire Capulet dep. Halifax.jpg (463.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 31st March 2012, 17:55

My location
I love the thought that I sailed in a ship which has become a part of Maritime History: I guess that makes me the same!
Old 1st April 2012, 03:50
Organisation: Other Navies
Active: 1970 - 1976

Quote:
All Liberty ships I worked on between 1947/1950 had oil fired water tube boilers(Foster Wheeler?)
Babcock & Wilcox are very common...
Old 1st April 2012, 07:42

My location
I sailed on two Ben Line Liberty ships, Benvrackie ex SamAffric and Bendoran ex Sam Dauntless in 1948-1952, they also had the Salmonier ex SamMont whidh I believe was built in Canada not the USA and she had wooden derricks. I found the Sam boats very comfortable in a sea but a bit hot on the Ben Lines Far East Service. Also when on HMAS Jeparit an MN ship taken over by the RAN
during the Vietnam War we used to see a French (I believe) Liberty which had run aground entering Vung Tau and was still there. It was still there in 1972 at the end of the Vietnam war
Ern Barrett
Old 1st April 2012, 09:02
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
A good read and just after I watched a programme on the history channel about the same subject.
Did I read somewhere that it was Japans adoption of the Liberty ships mass production methods that allowed them to usurp the tradition British shipbuilding methods after the war.

Bob
I expect Daniel Ludwig's decision to build the first generation of VLCCs and bulkers there had a lot to do with it.
Of course our unions, management and govt can take some of the credit as well.

Last edited by NoR; 1st April 2012 at 10:55.. Reason: wording
Old 1st April 2012, 10:48

The US Liberty ship "Stephen Hopkins" has the distinction of being the only allied merchant ship to sink a German commerce raider and the only US ship to sink a German surface warship.. A spirited defence by a gallant crew.

http://www.usmm.org/hopkins.html
Old 1st April 2012, 17:14
Active: 1957 - 1963

Ref. Hugh Ferguson. Yes,a part of Maritime history! Me too I suppose. was on the Liberty ship City of Leeds (GCDC) ex SamCrest of Ellerman + Bucknall in 1959. discharging and loading cargo Bristol,Belfast,Dundee,Bremen,Antwerp,
Glasgow,and Birkenhead while the regular r/o was on leave,he wanted back on that ship next voyage,so a good ship. However,had been on a T2 tanker also and can lay claim to both and for me - good ships. Frank
Old 1st April 2012, 18:51
Active: 1962 - 1974

Hellas Liberty in Piraeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland25 View Post
There is a preserved Liberty in Piraeus, I think I would have preferred looking at her than all the old stones in Athens.
I put some pictures on the thread about "Wartime built - empire" ships in Feb this year. I blagged a tour before the official opening as a museum ship. I declined a tour of the Athenian stones.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:18
Active: 1943 - 1952

I sailed on "Samidway" in 1944 2voyages (18months)- must say after old BF ships the accommodation was 5 star!!!