Hi everyone - Ships Nostalgia
17:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hi everyone

User Tag List

Old 8th November 2019, 00:05

Hi everyone

I'm Dave Hampton. I served on UK Ocean Weather Ships (OWS) as a Met Man between 1975 and 1987. Following OWS service I sailed on container vessels Manchester Challenge (OOCL Challenge) and Canmar Europe (OOCL Europe) on Europe/Montreal route making surface and upper air observations via weather ballon launched from a container fixed to the deck. Glad to be aboard.
Old 8th November 2019, 08:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Welcome on board Dave, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank
Old 9th November 2019, 13:40
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - 2000

Hi Dave
Old 9th November 2019, 14:27

interesting career? I remember the weather ships out of the clyde station for the atlantic? and possibly the bering sea? Ship in a grey livery no funnel boot top, just overal grey, and if I remember flying the Blue Ensign. That was at my time in late 65, early 66 when we were in drydock in Greenock, for a major refit.
Your remarks on your later career are more enlightening on the Oversea ships? container vessels and then the manchester liners, still apparently letting off weather balloons, and making weather observations? { I assume you were still in the North Atlantic?
Question, were you one of 'aunties friends'? and a man in the cupboard, who are you know MR Fish the TV weather man from the met office?? Remember that piece of paper - the official secrets act? were you working for 'auntie' or the Good Lord to help protect all us sailors??