Brunei Bay Lay Up - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
17:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Brunei Bay Lay Up

User Tag List

Old 6th November 2018, 13:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

Ellermans called at Labuan to discharge military cargoes in the 60's. There was an old grave yard on the foreshore with stones going back to the late 1700, if I remember correct. Lots of history attached to the "White Rajah".
Old 6th November 2018, 16:06
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor View Post
Ellermans called at Labuan to discharge military cargoes in the 60's. There was an old grave yard on the foreshore with stones going back to the late 1700, if I remember correct. Lots of history attached to the "White Rajah".
Think I can remember the graveyard. It was called Surrender point ?
Old 6th January 2019, 16:38

I worked for LASSA (Labuan Shipcare Services & Agency Sdn Bhd) as third mate(marine technician) the company set up by Capt Sainty (owned by a local Chinese businessman) to take on BP. There were about 12 Brits working there, we lived ashore in houses owned by the parent company, a couple of miles out of town (known as Kampong Lassa to us). We went offshore Monday to friday and saturday morning was work on the launches in port.

Sainty was the MD, we had a couple of ex BP lads working there, Andy Smithers-electrician and a ex 2/E. Unfortunately Sainty wasnt held in great esteem, as the ex BP lads said he was like chalk and cheese compared to his BP days. Very tight fisted and petty, we couldnt use the company launches for jollies etc.
He was certainly single and based on what we saw, not a chance he would marry (though law changes here in the UK would now allow)
None the less I had a very enjoyable 12 months there from Oct 85, though a very expensive place to live.
We would meet some of the BP lads at the Island Club on a wednesday or Saturday, I remember the shock when the redundancy notices came through about Feb 86, some very upset people. During my time I cant remember the BP lads hashing much except the 333 hash on Pulau Kuriman. (the one time we used the lassa launches)BP came in there own boats.
At the end of my 12 months, I decided to move on for career purposes, plus we lost 4 ships (BT promoter-reactivated, Esso Genava reactivated Esso Saba to BP as their new Base ship(or vv) and One of the El Paso LNG to scrap) so future prospects were not good.
An interesting 12 months which changed my life considerably.
Old 30th August 2019, 16:06
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

..................end of the line..................

The Tee shirts must have been very good quality to have lasted this long !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The end of the line.JPG (258.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 1st October 2019, 18:38
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1986

I was on the Reliance 2/85 ~ 5/85, then took the Norness to Singapore dry dock 10/85 and 11/85 came back to join the Resolution until the big redundancy in 1986
Old 8th November 2019, 15:53

I was on the crew that took Trident to Brunei Bay for lay up. We worked like trojans all day to tie her up with bullwires alongside another VLCC, whilst the BP Shipcare officers largely stood and watched us all day and made no move to help, as I recall. BP Shipcare, doddle of a job.
Old 8th November 2019, 20:02
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyD148 View Post
BP Shipcare, doddle of a job.
More RELAXED than doddle I think
Old 8th November 2019, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyD148 View Post
I was on the crew that took Trident to Brunei Bay for lay up. We worked like trojans all day to tie her up with bullwires alongside another VLCC, whilst the BP Shipcare officers largely stood and watched us all day and made no move to help, as I recall. BP Shipcare, doddle of a job.
Trust me it was no doddle ! One of the first jobs I had was replacing all the crankshaft white metal bearings on the Tridents Emergency Generator engine as the sump was full of water and someone had tied the dipstick down to stop it blowing out of the sump ! Must add I was not there when the Trident arrived but shortly afterwards. I take it you never worked in the lay up unit before ? apart from taking a ship there !
Old 9th November 2019, 12:16
Active: 1971 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
Trust me it was no doddle ! One of the first jobs I had was replacing all the crankshaft white metal bearings on the Tridents Emergency Generator engine as the sump was full of water and someone had tied the dipstick down to stop it blowing out of the sump ! Must add I was not there when the Trident arrived but shortly afterwards. I take it you never worked in the lay up unit before ? apart from taking a ship there !
Steve, were you there when the Trident broke free in a storm? That was a hectic night getting her re-secured to the mother ships.
Old 9th November 2019, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM399 View Post
Steve, were you there when the Trident broke free in a storm? That was a hectic night getting her re-secured to the mother ships.
No Dave. I wasn't there when it happened but I did hear all about it. I know the weather could get quite rough in the Bay at times !