What did you do before BP and what after - Ships Nostalgia
17:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What did you do before BP and what after

User Tag List

Old 25th September 2019, 14:35
Department: Engineering

What did you do before BP and what after

I left school in Glasgow and then did my time as a BP engineering apprentice. Sailed on 5 ships then left and joined Honeywell Computers. Trained as a systems test engineer and later joined field service fixing mainframe systems across Europe. Transferred to Aberdeen then Toronto Canada to look after Bell Canada's mainframe complex. When Honeywell (Honeywell Bull) closed its doors became management in various IT companies serving time in Bermuda and Texas before retiring, I left BP at the right time although have many fond memories.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:56

I believe for many of us, who may have know River Plate House, Britannic House, the crude and products and latterly the gas fleets, whether deck engine, or even crew, we have many an experience at the hands of old father times and King Neptune. What didwe gain as individuals, well I am sure your have heard that OLD CRY, friends!! for one and Board Of Trade Aquaintences for another.
I signed up from the Yorkshire woollen towns, I requested of my self, Travel, free board and lodgings, and being paid for the experience, with an education qualification of life thrown in?
Then in the 60's the shipping industry, the federation had many varied and novel shipping companies with whom one could travel: The names were not all bright orange, and in some more traditional liner and tanker companies one could desire a little more.
The experiences if one were a company man signing on the the different pool crews around the UK, such as HULL, London, Southampton, Liverpool, Glasgow, Cardiff, and Tyneside, where they all had pineapple allotments? and a tale to tell. I am not for getting here the deepsea fishing ports and crews of Hull and Grimsby.
It was all griese to the mill?
I did travel, married, children, and an after life still connected to my marine roots doing vessel surveys and offshore structures in the UK.
waters. Do I regret it? No is the answer, it is what I came to know and understand. People are people, and we all signed the articles to be in the same club?

Last edited by david freeman; 27th September 2019 at 09:59.. Reason: lastminute
Old 29th September 2019, 21:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1976 - 1982

Left school at 18 and joined NO as an engineer cadet. After being made redundant in the early 80s started a family then joined the Prison Service as a trades officer. The guy in charge of all works departments was an ex shell chief engineer so no interview needed
Old 29th September 2019, 21:05
Department: Deck
Active: 1980 - 1985

I left school in May 1980 ,I had a place at NSTC in September and so was allocated a YTS place by local careers office at a local garage until I was due to go to Gravesend. I was a dogs body serving petrol , cleaning and polishing cars, and maintaining cars in for service . When I handed my notice in after 3 months the boss nearly fell of his chair as he was not used to YTS kids leaving before the 6 months was up. This was probably due to him bull sh**ing and telling all the kids they would get apprenticeships only to get shot of them when 6 months was up - thatchers Britain cheap labour!!
After NSTC and short spell on Middlesbrough pool I joined BP. I did trips on Renown , Dart, Forth, Patience, Shoush, Esk, Resolution, Spey and Tay I then left BP for BUE ships for 2 Trips in North Sea
Since 1987 I have been in the construction sector and I am currently a principal surveyor with Bureau Veritas Building Control U K
Old 30th September 2019, 09:15

I left the MN in 83 and joined BR for a short while.I then worked for Audi VW import centre at Grimsby until I was made redundant in 93.It was then back to BR for 25 years, the last 20 as a train driver and I retired at 56 years old.
Old 30th September 2019, 18:18
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1983

My location
Joined BP as a Deck Cadet (as we were called that week) in 1972. Reached the dizzy heights of 2nd Mate and left in 1982.
Spent a year working on building sites as a labourer, never been fitter or thinner before or since.
Joined HM Customs and Excise, (the opposition?), in 1985. Spent a lot of time on launches round the southeast coast of the UK then managed to get early retirement in 2009. Best move I ever made.
Part time at Toys R Us building pushbikes til they went bust and now collect and deliver cars all over the UK. Loving the current lifestyle but wouldn't have missed the time and travel with BP for anything.
Old 1st October 2019, 18:21
Active: 1969 - 1986

I started my sea career in 1969 at 17 in Mauritius, sailing on a variety of foreign and Mauritius ship. in 1976 I came to Liverpool I signed on the pool at Mann island at the time BP was recruiting for GP seaman on company contract so I joined until 1986 when the big redundancy came in, I went on one trip with the agency but I did not like it so I decided to come ashore and I manage to get a job at Ford Halewood on the assembly line, there was a few ex BP crew working there as well. in 2004 I had an opportunity to retire at 52 after 18 years with a pension so I took it as I was in the TA at the time so I carry on with the TA until 2009 when I was discharged and retired fully now I just enjoy life.
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:01

Thanks interesting...
Old 6th October 2019, 10:08
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Went to Gravesend in 81 sponsored by BP did 8 years in total with them until ' foreign flag' took it's toll. Then 4 years north sea.
Came ashore got out the catering game by buying a Snap On Tools franchise, sold it back after a few years, went to work for BOC as a welding equipment centre manager, medically pensioner off after 2 x back ops. Went taxi driving for 1 x year after rehab just to get back into work place. THEN went to work on the newly privatised Home Oxygen Service. Ironically the company who won the tender lost the contract after 5 x years. It was won by BOC who under TUPE law had to 're employ' me as a senior technician (that went down well). Still there now, spose I'm lucky in the fact I have a well paid job I largely enjoy. Only thing is its vulnerable to contract changes and tenders one of which looms now. TUPE protects us to a degree though.
Old 6th October 2019, 21:32

Born and brought up on a farm. Left school in 62 at 15. Did a year at Dundee Trades College. Started my apprenticeship in 63 as a Lecky with Boase Spinning company in Dundee - Now long gone and houses built on the site. Finished my apprenticeship in 68 and joined BP Tanker Co in 69.

Sailed on various "Birdie" boats and a couple of the old 16's, then came the oil crisis of 74/75. Moved to BP Petroleum Development (as it was then), on the Forties, Buchan, Millar & Bruce fields. Finished up as a Planning Engineer.

Got made redundant at the end of 95 when my job was "Outsourced." Went to Perth, Australia to work on the Goodwyn & Cossack fields. Came back to Aberdeen after 18 months, and was head-hunted by the company that my job had been "outsourced" to! Back to doing my old job at a vastly inflated salary!

Then I had a wee bit of open heart surgery, so decided I'd had enough of this working for a living and took early retirement at 55. I worked for the next couple of winters on small jobs for the north sea. Fully retired now.

On the personal front, I've been married for 35 years, have 2 Daughters, one Grandson and another due at the end of next month. We bought a plot of land 25 years ago, had an architect design us a house, and I project managed the build.

I Think I've had a good life, and hope to have a few more years yet.
Old 10th October 2019, 17:38

In these tales of who's who, I just pause and wonder, what happened to the Catering department, with the 'OLD Mans TIGER' and the Catering Officers. Do these positions still hold good in the modern fleet of BP's company men???.
In the 60's with Indian and Karachi crews the butler, was responsible for the catering crew on board ship, all be it overseen by the 3rd/Mate.
Old 16th October 2019, 07:32

Joined BP Tankers in 1970 as Junior Engineer (British Light & Courage) Joined Shell Tankers until 1980 Bought share in a fishing boat for 10years.For the last 39 years have worked as a Dive/lay Technician/Supervisor with Comex,Stolt Offshore,Acergy,Subsea7, EMAS and NKT Cables.Onboard NKT Victoria cable layer last trip before I retire at the end of the year.
Old 30th October 2019, 21:27
Active: 1964 - 1996

My location
'64 intake Engineer Cadet and left after completion and one trip 'compulsory' J/E to come ashore. Worked as airframe fitter on Buccaneer aircraft for just over a year but when the factory went on strike realised this was going nowhere and returned to BP J/E to 2/E. Left late 70s to join another Company who were offering much shorter voyages. With the demise of the MN late 80s went foreign-flag and then did a few contract jobs as Commissioning Engineer before final 20 years offshore in North Sea oil fields.
Old 30th October 2019, 22:47
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverlonian View Post
'64 intake Engineer Cadet and left after completion and one trip 'compulsory' J/E to come ashore. Worked as airframe fitter on Buccaneer aircraft for just over a year but when the factory went on strike realised this was going nowhere and returned to BP J/E to 2/E. Left late 70s to join another Company who were offering much shorter voyages. With the demise of the MN late 80s went foreign-flag and then did a few contract jobs as Commissioning Engineer before final 20 years offshore in North Sea oil fields.
Was that at Brough on the Buccs?
Old 31st October 2019, 00:15
Active: 1964 - 1996

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Was that at Brough on the Buccs?
Yes, early 70s.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:13
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Left school and did an OND Engineering course at South Devon Tech - on passing that I joined BP Tankers as a Deck Cadet in 1971!
Studied for 2nd Mates at Plymouth Nautical College and took a re-sit at Bristol, sailed as 3rd Mate.
Left BP in 1977 and joined Wallem Shipmanagement (UK) sailing as 3rd Mate and then 2nd Mate.
Left Wallems in 1979 and went coastal with Rowbotham Tankships sailing as 2nd Mate and then Mate.
Left Rowbothams in 1992 when they were taken over by P&O and set up by own shoreside business.
Now happily retired!
Old 8th November 2019, 17:04

Left BP Shipping in 1987, went offshore North Sea on platforms then drilling rigs. Worked as Roughneck, Derrickman then moved into HSE. Became a Safety Supervisor on drilling rigs, then left drilling to work in HSSE on offshore production platforms.

Studied for a Law Degree for 5 years at same time.

Came ashore to work for SBM in Monaco in 2003 as an HSSE Engineer.

Now Operations HSSE Manager for SBM's global fleet of 15 FPSOs.

Still live in South of France with my wife. Kids are grown up. I'm now a Granddad.

Going to sea set me off on the right path for life. Only good idea I came up with at 16 years old!

Andy Douglass