Radio Operators Handbook - PDF - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
10:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Radio Operators Handbook - PDF

User Tag List

Old 31st October 2018, 12:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loptap View Post
If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.

I am not posting/uploading/attaching the file because I do not want to upset anyone over copyright.

I have painfully reconstructed the handbook using Microsoft Word/Excel along with image capture and copy/paste to produce a faithful copy which is actually all my own work (I have both the Word version and the PDF) - I will forward the PDF. Even the pagination is faithfully reproduced!

There are scanned versions of the handbook around but I started with the objective of creating a "clean" copy for my personal archive (threw my original away many years ago when we emigrated to South Africa)
Still getting anything via Private Message flagged as spam by my ISP. Can't seem to find any way to have Ships Nostalgia "white-listed" - so will have to continue periodic checking...
...so, my apologies in advance to anyone trying to get hold to me!
As suggested in my previous post - if you don't get a fairly quick reply from me (I have been replying to those PMs that get through within 24 hours) - try a direct email via the Members List

UPDATE: Unfortunately, it looks as though even direct emails through Ships Nostalgia are getting flagged as spam - there have been 5 PM notifications and 3 emails all flagged as spam in the last week - so I am going to have to simply continue checking!

Last edited by Loptap; 31st October 2018 at 13:22..
Old 9th November 2018, 20:06
Active: 1975 - 1979

Thanks for the pdf Loptap. I'm sure I had a copy of this way back in the 70's when at college in Plymouth and then at sea, but I cannot remember any of it; I don't recognise any of the pages other than the cover. I think mine had an orange cover as I'd have bought it in 1972. Is it too late to get them to correct it? page 153 has the number '1' as a dot followed by 3 dashes - sorry, but I couldn't resist.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWills View Post
...Is it too late to get them to correct it? page 153 has the number '1' as a dot followed by 3 dashes - sorry, but I couldn't resist...
'tis done!
There is now a revision 4.1! But I'll hold off in publishing it - just in case there are other 'errors' noticed!

Question for you...
...when you say "...get them to correct..." - who is the 'them'?

On colours and editions - IIRC the editions before and after this one had an orange cover; mine (circa 1964) was also blue. There is a fair bit of discussion earlier in the thread about colours and editions
Old 10th November 2018, 11:07
Active: 1975 - 1979

Quote:

Question for you...
...when you say "...get them to correct..." - who is the 'them'?
Hello Loptap,

It was said in jest; HMSO probably disappeared some time ago and I don't think that the Post Office are going to maintain it. It looks like you are the new custodian of this book!

I definitely had the orange coloured edition; I must have read it from cover to cover and committed much of it to memory. I just can't remember where I have stored that memory.

Regards
Andrew
Old 30th January 2020, 13:56

Smile

Quote:
If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.

I am not posting/uploading/attaching the file because I do not want to upset anyone over copyright.

I have painfully reconstructed the handbook using Microsoft Word/Excel along with image capture and copy/paste to produce a faithful copy which is actually all my own work (I have both the Word version and the PDF) - I will forward the PDF. Even the pagination is faithfully reproduced!

There are scanned versions of the handbook around but I started with the objective of creating a "clean" copy for my personal archive (threw my original away many years ago when we emigrated to South Africa)
Just discovered (because of a new request for a copy of the handbook) that it is well over a year (November 2018) since the last request - so, just for the sake of newer visitors to "The Radio Room" - I am promoting the link!!

Last edited by Loptap; 30th January 2020 at 14:00..
Old 31st January 2020, 22:55
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 1962 - 1968

I would very much like to obtain an electronic copy.
My email is [email protected]

I am an old USCG radioman and later commercial radiotelegrapher (1962-1978)

73, Doc - K2PHD
RACES-ARES-OOTC-SKCC-NAQCC
Old 1st February 2020, 00:21

Thanks again Loptap, I still go back to it for forgotten info.

Rgds, Duncs
Old 7th February 2020, 21:58

I would also be more than grateful for a copy. My 1948 one having long gone.
gpvlatshaw.ca

Alex
Old 7th February 2020, 23:28

Talking Handbook for Radio Operators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nicolson View Post
I would also be more than grateful for a copy. My 1948 one having long gone.
gpvlatshaw.ca

Alex
It's in the post (email post that is! )
Old 20th February 2020, 23:46

I would also like to thank you for your perseverance in copying this book. As an old USCG Radioman and later commercial radiotelegrapher and ham I want to thank you. Someone else also remarked that most of us knew most of the contents by heart, but with he passing of time much was lost, but now resurrected. Thanks again for making it available to us all.

Dr. Jim Kennedy
K 2 P H D -- PG0222156 - T2GB070658/Radar
OEM-RACES-ARES-CERT | [email protected]
SARA-OOTC-FISTS-SKCC-NAQCC | : FN20qv
Old 24th May 2020, 22:08

Handbook for Radio Operators

Quote:
'tis done!
There is now a revision 4.1! But I'll hold off in publishing it - just in case there are other 'errors' noticed!
I have just discovered that the reputed version 4.1 no longer exists (neither .docx nor .pdf) - I had a major disk failure last year and many things I had created just prior to the crash were not included in the backup I had to use to recover my system. Still - not to worry - the update for 4.1 was very small - on page 153 the morse symbol for "1" was incorrect (it was actually a "J") - and I have now corrected it!

If anyone is pedantic or OCD enough (no slight meant - both terms fit me!) to want the corrected version give me a shout (PM) and I'll do the honours

Last edited by Loptap; 24th May 2020 at 22:09.. Reason: No Title
Old 24th May 2020, 22:18

Handbook for Radio Operators

Quote:
'tis done!
I have just discovered that the reputed version 4.1 no longer exists (neither .docx nor .pdf) - I had a major disk failure last year and many things I had created just prior to the crash were not included in the backup I had to use to recover my system. Still - not to worry - the update for 4.1 was very small - on page 153 the morse symbol for "1" was incorrect (it was actually a "J") - and I have now corrected it!

If anyone is pedantic or OCD enough (no slight meant - both terms fit me!) to want the corrected version give me a shout (PM) and I'll do the honours
Old 25th May 2020, 00:56

I would very much like a copy. Let me know how to acquire it.
Thank you and 73, Doc - K2PHD
Old 25th May 2020, 10:01

Handbook for Radio Operators Version 4.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdad View Post
I would very much like a copy. Let me know how to acquire it.
Just sent it via email

Regards
Loptap
Old 4th June 2020, 11:36

Here's a similar US document but with a much wider scope including Ship/Coast stations, technical requirements/tolerances, operating procedures/frequency allocations etc.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=coast+station

Pages 5-159 are the 'interesting' bits.

There's even a section on the overtime to be paid to the R/O if he/she has to stay onboard to carry out a radio inspection. Which only seems fair as we can't have those pesky inspectors interfering with our well earned shore time!

Last edited by IMRCSparks; 4th June 2020 at 11:55..
Old 9th June 2020, 06:31
Department: Engineering
Active: 1933 - 1975

Hi There,
Can you please send a copy to email I used to have a copy years ago when I was with the NZPO. Will be nice to wander memory lane again.
All the Best,
Doug Allen

Last edited by hawkey01; 19th June 2020 at 10:22..
Old 19th June 2020, 00:22
Active: 1972 - 1979

I would be extremely grateful for a copy. I was in 1972-1979 all Marconi equipment ships. Thanks in advance Michael email

ex 9KSF MWHX MJEA GZBY GNUE GNUA GSWA GSUE

Last edited by hawkey01; 19th June 2020 at 10:22..
Old 19th June 2020, 10:25
Super Moderator
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Members,

I note some of you have been putting your email address in an open forum - here - this is discouraged as it leaves you open to the bad guys/gals. If you have not heard back from Laptop please send him a PM via the site with your email address. I have deleted those of GNUA and Allend.

rgds
Neville - Hawkey01
Old 19th June 2020, 14:45

Handbook for Radio Operators Version 4.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkey01 View Post
Members,

I note some of you have been putting your email address in an open forum - here - this is discouraged as it leaves you open to the bad guys/gals. If you have not heard back from Laptop please send him a PM via the site with your email address. I have deleted those of GNUA and Allend.

rgds
Neville - Hawkey01
Thanks for this.
I do ask, in the thread and am happy to reiterate here - if anyone would like an electronic copy of the Handbook - please send me a request with your email address using PM (Private Message).

I have already responded to both Allend and GNUA and sent them a copy of the Handbook so no harm done in deleting the post(s). There are, of course, many other ways of harvesting email addresses - and everyone should be aware of the need for caution. The modest damage is that you end up on a "for sale" mailing list, after that comes the issues of how that mailing list is used, and the worst case scenario is that gathering email addresses is one (small) part towards identity theft.

Regards.