Indo China Steam Navigation - Page 17 - Ships Nostalgia
11:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Indo China Steam Navigation

User Tag List

Old 24th April 2020, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
I note this goes back to 2009. I'm not too clever on getting around this site. If you are still there Garry I was 3/E on Loksang, 1948 to 1951.

Eastern Saga was in the fleet, then Queen and Glory came before I left.
I was on the Eastern Argosy from 67 to 69
Regards
Pete Bailey
Old 24th April 2020, 18:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1952 - 2010

Hello Peter,

I was beginning to think this ICSN thread was dead so it is good to see your posting this morning. I don't think our days overlapped since i left in November 1965 but I m sure we would have shared many friends/shipmates.

The Argosy was my first ship, joining her in Dumbarton on March 15th 1956 as fourth nate and leaving eleven moths later in February 1957 to go to my first Hboat.

I wonder how long you were with the company.

Nick

PS I still keep in touch with Johnny Arthur in Brisbane where there used to be quite a few old Jardine men. He was on the Argosy as Chief or Second when she grounded on the Barrier Reef in 1970?
Old 27th April 2020, 12:05
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocka105 View Post
I was on the Eastern Argosy from 67 to 69
Regards
Pete Bailey
Hi, I was 2nd Mate on the E. Argosy for 3 months 14/9/67 to 9/12/67, signed
on and paid off in Brisbane. (I remember having a great night on someones launch in Breakfast Creek on pay off day then flying down to Sydney with a kings sized hangover next day en route to H.K !)
Regards

Mike Kearney
Old 1st May 2020, 12:18

My location
Hi Pete, just had a mail from SN saying they had tried to post a mail from you but couldn't as my box was full. Sorry about that didn't realise it filled up so quickly. All deleted now so yards of space !

Regards

Mike
Old 1st May 2020, 16:18

Mike,

Good to see there is still one other old timer on this once busy thread. My sole contact nowadays is by regular email and that is Johnny Arthur in Brisbane who I sailed with on the Eastern Queen in late 1959 and who later became chief and government surveyor.
Nick
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:26

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwilson89 View Post
Mike,

Good to see there is still one other old timer on this once busy thread. My sole contact nowadays is by regular email and that is Johnny Arthur in Brisbane who I sailed with on the Eastern Queen in late 1959 and who later became chief and government surveyor.
Nick
Morning Nick, hope you are well.
Yes it looks like we are becoming few and far between! I keep an eye on the new posts section just in case. Next year will be my big eight zero so who knows if I will even know who Jardines were beyond that
On that cheerful note, have a nice day !

Mike
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:34

I was on the Eastern Maid when your Dad had his first promotion. He was Mate and Graham Taylor was Master. Graham went on leave with Hiroko from a Tokyo BAy Port, maybe Chiba, and Mike was promoted to Master for the first time. He didnít make much of an appearance as we coasted in patchy fog around to a port just outside the entrance to the Inland sea. I was on the 8-12 watch, and had a devil of a time rousing him to come up to the bridge for arrival at the pilot station. He still didnít show up, so l slowed the ship and did all that was necessary. Eventually he showed up as the pilot boarded, looking as though heíd been sleeping for days. He obviously thought that promotion out of watchkeeping released him to sleep as long as he wanted. Really nice guy who told me great stories about the Borneo dayís. Sorry heís passed. Would have been either 1969 or 70, more likely the latter.
Old 23rd May 2020, 15:56

Am I guesing right you referring to Mike Sawyer and writing to Leanne or Michelle?

Nick

P.S. Your nom de plume is unfamiliar to me. Nick
Old 24th May 2020, 07:51

My location
Certainly not me !

Mike
Old 25th May 2020, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Certainly not me !

Mike
Never thought for a moment it was. I think I knew the Mike he was referring to. We last met here in Vancouver, c.1998

BTW I have always neant to ask what ship it was that we sailed on together. My memory says the Muse. c1965. Am I right? I have an image of your looks locked away in my fast failing memory but where and when I am not too sure.

best wishes,

Nick
Old 26th May 2020, 08:16

My location
Quote:
Never thought for a moment it was. I think I knew the Mike he was referring to. We last met here in Vancouver, c.1998

BTW I have always neant to ask what ship it was that we sailed on together. My memory says the Muse. c1965. Am I right? I have an image of your looks locked away in my fast failing memory but where and when I am not too sure.

best wishes,

Nick

Hi Nick
Yes you are right about the year. According to the discharge book I joined as 3rd mate in Sept 64, got promoted to 2nd mate in July
65 and Paid off in Jan 66.

Somebody kindly gave me a pic of myself from those days but trying to find it, convert it and post it on S N. could be a long job !

Mike
Old 26th May 2020, 16:48

Thanks, Mike. I am surprised my memory was that good because our time together was very brief. I had spent nine months on the Muse immediately after getting married in 1963/64 but my seond stint was just a single round trip to Calcutta which ended in late September 1965, in Kobe, when I transferred to the E.Ranger. A very lucky break in my life because by doing so I happened to be in HK a few weeks later and headed for Calcutta when a job for a marine surveyor appeared in the SCMP and my application was successful. Such are the ways of one's life.

I have written a lot about my Jardine days, the good, the bad and the ugly, but I found my memory served me best in the early years and sort of faded after so many identical Borneo or Calcutta trips. I stayed on in HK for another eight years and then on a complete whim moved to Beautiful British Columbia where we raised out four children and later met our four grandchildren and now one two year old great grandson. At 85 I like to think all those years of clean living when I was at sea have stood me in good stead!

Keep digging for the photo and also drop me a line some time to let me know what you got up to after our ways parted.

Best wishes,

Nick
Old 10th June 2020, 15:26
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1959 - 1965

Eastern Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry Norton View Post
Is their anyone out there ex Eastern Ships
I was Sparks on the Eastern Muse from May 1963 to May 1965. I remember Garry as he was a Kiwi and 3rd Mate for a while. Can't remember names of anyone else apart from Gus, who was the Chief Engineer. Had a a great time and even managed to go to the Tokyo Olympics and saw Anne Packer win a gold medal!
Tim Bolton
Old 10th June 2020, 19:22

Tim, Good to see you are till around. I have very clear memories of the Muse while you sailed on her. i wonder if these names and descriptions will help jog your own memory a bit.

I see we joined the same day in HK. At that time the other officers were John Thomas, master, myself mate, Mike Lever, 2/0 who very soon afterwards married the delectable Ms. Lesley Bolingbrook, aka Lolita and as you say, Gary was 3/m. Gus, the chief. He died in HK from cancer in 1994 while I was back working for three years, Mario da Cruz, a very handsome Portuguese was the second and Jimmy Main who later came ashore with China Light & Power. I think the 4/e was Ho, a young Chinese.

Later J.T resigned suddenly in Singapore thus allowing me a couple of brief weeks in command. The foppish Chalky White replaced me and then Terry Nicolls and very later Patrick 'John L.' Sullivan, a very pleasant Cornishman. Mike Lever was replaced by Eric Edmonson, and Gary by Phil Hammond. Gus stayed on but Jimmy was replaced as 2/e, by a Malaysian, Jerry Alarvez, and I think Jimmy Main by Stan Little, the wee Scot with many muscles who needed to do his 'motor' time at a reduced rank.

You will surely remember our New Years Eve in Calcutta in 1964 when we met up with the new E.Rover and Gus decided we should celebrate in true Highland fashion with himself, Eric and Jerry dressed to resemble Scotsmen. I had a tartan lined mac at the time and Gus reversed it and wore it around his waist in lieu of a kilt.

I returned to the Muse in July 1965, probably just after your two years were up but only for one round trip. Two months later after going to the Ranger I had resigned, not quite making it ten years with the company. I have no memory of who it was who replaced you. Do you?

Hope to hear what you have been up to

all the best,

Nick
Old 10th June 2020, 20:44
Active: 1957 - 1961

I remember Tim Sparks on the Eastern Muse now.I went ashore from the Eastern Muse to sit my Mates Ticket and about 2 weeks later joined the Eastern Saga after having 2 goes at signals passing all the rest first go. The Muse was a happy ship and I enjoyed my time on it even though my memory now is a bit hazy.
Old 11th June 2020, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryNorton View Post
I remember Tim Sparks on the Eastern Muse now.I went ashore from the Eastern Muse to sit my Mates Ticket and about 2 weeks later joined the Eastern Saga after having 2 goes at signals passing all the rest first go. The Muse was a happy ship and I enjoyed my time on it even though my memory now is a bit hazy.
Garry, NOBODY failed signal in HK. Your double failure must have gone into the record books!!! Having said that I have never understood how I passed mine. I was one of those mates who would pretend he did not see the winkling light asking 'what ship' while on watch, or if Sparks was around ask for his help. Remember being called up by Waglan Lighthoue on leaving HK with a long, long message to one of the passengers, full of names of people who were sending their best wishes. I managed to cobble something together and never received any direct complaints from the recipient.

Take care, Nick
Old 11th June 2020, 22:03

Eastern Muse

Hi Nick
Great to hear from you! Thanks to our lockdown I've had time to reactivate interest in my Ships Nostalgia account, which was recommended to me by a relation who was a Master with BP and Harbour Master for Aberdeen.You must have a brilliant memory to remember all the names and dates, and of course I now remember nearly everyone, especially you, a great CO.
I left the MN once I got home after my long leave, deciding to settle down and start a new career. I was in import and export for a while then went into banking until I took early retirement 24 years ago! I've been happily married for 53 years, have 2 sons and 3 grandchildren. My eldest son was an engineering officer in the RN for a few years and is now in IT, the same as my youngest son, who lives in Haverhill, MA, and works in Boston. I found out after I left HK that you were a fellow OP, I was there from 1954 -57 in Macquarie Division, got a Marconi scholarship and did my radio training at AST, Hamble. I wanted to go into the RN but discovered I was colour blind and my maths wasn't good enough for the E Branch. At least I got an O level in Seamanship and studied Navigation!
I'll be in touch again with memories of my time on the Muse and will share lots of photos with you, do you have Google photos?
Old 11th June 2020, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryNorton View Post
Hi Garry
Great to hear from you! I remember you well and have lots of photos of us all having some great boozy nights in Gus's cabin! I also remember us going together to Kobe and staying the night in a smart hotel. I'm 80 next year but still play golf, do keep fit, swim and go on lots of walks with my wife. Glad to hear you're out of lockdown now, just hope we are soon, it's been a long time since we've been able to go out to the pub or a restaurant. See my reply to Nick for the rest of my news.
Kind regards
Best wishes
Tim
Old 12th June 2020, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSparks View Post
Hi Nick
Great to hear from you! Thanks to our lockdown I've had time to reactivate interest in my Ships Nostalgia account, which was recommended to me by a relation who was a Master with BP and Harbour Master for Aberdeen.You must have a brilliant memory to remember all the names and dates, and of course I now remember nearly everyone, especially you, a great CO.
I left the MN once I got home after my long leave, deciding to settle down and start a new career. I was in import and export for a while then went into banking until I took early retirement 24 years ago! I've been happily married for 53 years, have 2 sons and 3 grandchildren. My eldest son was an engineering officer in the RN for a few years and is now in IT, the same as my youngest son, who lives in Haverhill, MA, and works in Boston. I found out after I left HK that you were a fellow OP, I was there from 1954 -57 in Macquarie Division, got a Marconi scholarship and did my radio training at AST, Hamble. I wanted to go into the RN but discovered I was colour blind and my maths wasn't good enough for the E Branch. At least I got an O level in Seamanship and studied Navigation!
I'll be in touch again with memories of my time on the Muse and will share lots of photos with you, do you have Google photos?
Tim, good to hear more about your life both pre the Muse and later. I am going to try to continue this rather personal message 'off thread' At the moment I am not sure if I remember the proper procedure. Pangbourne, by God. Have we a lot to catch up on! Nick
Old 13th June 2020, 16:28

Quote:
Tim, good to hear more about your life both pre the Muse and later. I am going to try to continue this rather personal message 'off thread' At the moment I am not sure if I remember the proper procedure. Pangbourne, by God. Have we a lot to catch up on! Nick
Having no luck contacting you off line. Risky, but this is my email address [email protected]. Pls get in touch. many thanks, Nick
Old 29th June 2020, 18:22

Hello,anyone who sailed on the first Eastern Saga and is still interested in the history of some of her German flagged, ill fated sister ships should check out the vessel 'Paranagua' in the gallery. All thanks go to Stein!

Nick