Arcadia The First 21 Years - Page 7 - Ships Nostalgia
03:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Arcadia The First 21 Years

User Tag List

Old 25th May 2020, 12:00

Swizzle and Calypso Tour Boat

Short You Tube clip:

Bermuda Vacation 1950's ~ Castle Harbour Hotel, Swizzle Cruise, Princess Bandshell & Natural Arches
.Ken Butz

I'm sure you will recognise most of this. Some good shots of the old QUEEN OF BERMUDA and a very rare shot of REINA DEL MAR at anchor. I can date this footage late 1950s.

The photo shows the tour boat DUCHESS, she was a RN 'Fairmile'. The old ferry is the CORONA. My 'ferry' in those day. I used to sit in the stern with my girlfriend... age about 6. I still see her... she is the Principal of the same school! Ouch! Her brother told her dad, "That Card boy is going to be trouble."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DUCHESS with CORONA bermuda.jpg (31.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 25th May 2020, 18:58

Yes memory is a funny old thing. I'm on lockdown with my girlfriend in Brighton at the moment and she's forever reminding me to put the toilet seat down yet I can look at the photo of my class at Gravesend Sea School and still identify and remember the names of those who joined the "Arc" with me. There was Bob Toy, our class leader, from Birmingham who later sailed in the DM with me. Dick Skelly from Camberwell, Dave Tapping from Wimbledon, "Cooky" Cook from Beccles in Norfolk and "Pepsi" Pepper from Southend.
We were all discharged from the Sea School together and took the Ferry across to Tilbury, then by train to Fenchurch Street, which was a short walk from the P&O office in Leadenhall Street. We were all sent round to Miller, Rainer and Heysom's to get kitted out and given our joining instructions for the Arcadia and a travel warrant to Belfast.
Old 25th May 2020, 19:40

Miller, Rainer & Danco from the 1970s. In Glasgow, I you wanted to posh you went Paisley's. They closed so it was off to Miller Rainer.
Old 26th May 2020, 23:00

#150 Thanks Stephen for your memories

Where I usually live (Croydon) Patois is African/Caribbean mixed with Sarf London, innit.

It was mentioned above that Spike Milligan was a passenger, that was the trip before I joined. Spike's Goony antics were legendary. He completely took over the Captain's Cocktail Party, getting himself between the announcer and the "Old Man" and saying "Arrloooo" in that Goony voice of his. He also caused chaos in the First Class Saloon. Grabbing a tray he said to the "winger" "let me give you a hand mate. I'm not like these people. I'm one of the bhoyzz" and disappeared into the galley with the Steward.

Russ Conway the popular pianist had previously been a Writer in the "Arc" and we were told that the "Arc" and Iberia were designed to be converted into Aircraft Carriers should a war break out.

Speaking of Captain's Cocktail Party's I think it was usual for first trip Bell Boys to be employed at these. Captain Wilde was the "Old Man" and were there to collect empty glasses. The Wine Waiters would give the "Bloods" full glasses and put the empty on their trays. We would circulate with trays and when we bumped into a waiter he would say "here you are bells. One, two, three, four or however many empties there were then "five, six, seven" and put three full glasses on your tray which we took out to the pantry and poured down our necks. You can imagine the state were in by the end of the evening.
Happy days.
Old 26th May 2020, 23:52

Thanks John. Yes, good memories. Problem today is that youngsters would believe it... unless you could find it on their FaceBook!

What ships did you go to after the 'Arc'?

Stephen
Old 28th May 2020, 00:14

#155 Hi Stephen

I stayed at Sea till 1968.
Lots more memories to come
John
Old 28th May 2020, 05:02

[QUOTE=barlowjohn42;3055247

I stayed at Sea till 1968.
Lots more memories to come
John[/QUOTE]

Good stuff!
Old 6th June 2020, 05:17

More Cruising 1959

No account would be complete without a mention of our "gay" shipmates who were usually known by women's or "camp" names and spoke a back slang called Polari. A typical conversation between two gay wingers would be "come on Ethel get your blood's moving. We're all waiting to go ashore". "It's 'er" replied Ethel "the polone. 'es lovely". "Just tell her to f*** off. Silly cow" said the first gay winger.
I remember my mate who came from just outside Southampton was ashore with his girlfriend and bumped into a crowd of "gays" from the ship. The next day my mate was taken to task by Ethel "We don't use camp names ashore dear. Even if you do want to impress your little girlfriend ".

After a couple of cruises we had a few days leave and were reassigned job's. I was moved to the 1st Class Dining Saloon. Duties included pushing the revolving doors around, tending the Buffet and walking around the 1st Class accommodation playing "come to the cook house door" on a dulcimer to announce the meal was being served.
Old 6th June 2020, 13:04
Super Moderator

The gays on both Arcadia and Canberra were very funny, always the life and soul of any party or 'pour out'. In Sydney some were going back to Arcadia in a taxi stopping to pick me up when walking to Pyrmont: "Get in ducky", they said.

On Canberra when Med cruising we went on a crew tour to the Acropolis in Athens. When leaving the coach we walked to the entrance. A group of gays were way ahead of turning round saying: "Oh, come on ducky's". Then all of the sudden they stopped saying loudly as if one voice:"EYES RIGHT". To their right were naked male statues. We fell about laughing
Old 7th June 2020, 06:56

#158 The "Camp" name Ethel is fictional. The conversation was real.
Old 7th June 2020, 09:35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowjohn42 View Post
#158 The "Camp" name Ethel is fictional. The conversation was real.
Yes I know. Most of them used feminine names.

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 7th June 2020 at 09:38..
Old 9th June 2020, 23:02

Re:#151 Hi Stephen
Did the Queen of Bermuda do a luxury trip from New York to Bermuda and back in tandem with the Ocean Monarch

John
Old 9th June 2020, 23:26

Hi David
There was always a humourous handwritten Newsheet at the top of the companion way going forard into the accommodation. I remember one that said "there will be no Cunard Vessels in Southampton this trip. In fact the only big Queen in port will be Mr John Smith"(fictional name)
John
Old 10th June 2020, 02:37

Quote:
Re:#151 Hi Stephen
Did the Queen of Bermuda do a luxury trip from New York to Bermuda and back in tandem with the Ocean Monarch

John

Both ships were on the NY-Bermuda run. The Monarch did the occasional 'cruise'.... Caribbean or up to New England. Queen did the occasional 'cruise' as well.

The ships were 'contract' ships. Passengers yes, but also carried mails, freight, reefer, lifestock etc.

Stephen
Old 11th June 2020, 04:46

#164 Hi Stephen
We forget that most mail was carried by ship hence RMS

John
Old 11th June 2020, 07:18

Quote:
#164 Hi Stephen
We forget that most mail was carried by ship hence RMS

John

RMS was never for the Furness ships. No idea why. They carried the US Mail from New York to Bermuda and Royal Mail on the way back. Furness preferred the Q.T.E.V.... Quick Turnaround Every Voyage. (Quadruple Turbo Electric Vessel) Ocean Monarch used the T.s.s. Twin Screw Steamer or Turbine Steam Ship.

Royal Mail Line was a main player on Bermuda runs, UK, Bermuda runs. Perhaps Furness did not want people to think that the Furness ships were part of Royal Mail Line fleet! That makes sense.

The Royal Mail Line ships in Bermuda were usually known as R.M.S.P. as in Royal Mail Steam Packet ARAQUAYA.

Stephen

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 11th June 2020 at 07:21..
Old 12th June 2020, 04:19

#166 Hi Stephen

Yes. That does make sense

John
Old 17th June 2020, 09:46

#164 Hi Stephen
If the crews stayed out of the UK for the whole of the tax year, all tax payed was refunded.

John
Old 17th June 2020, 11:18

Quote:
#164 Hi Stephen
If the crews stayed out of the UK for the whole of the tax year, all tax payed was refunded.

John

Very true. A lot the 'staff' ended up living in Bermuda until 'end of days'. Plenty of 'crew' went off to live in USA.

Stephen
Old 17th June 2020, 13:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Stephen, so where did the QSRMMV Reina Del Pacifico fit with this.
Old 17th June 2020, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilcockson View Post
Stephen, so where did the QSRMMV Reina Del Pacifico fit with this.
QUARDRUPLE SCREW ROYAL MAIL MOTOR VESSEL

Another name using 'ROYAL MAIL'.... on the finest PACIFIC STEAM NAV. CO. REINA!

Stephen
Old 17th June 2020, 22:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1965 - 1968

Back to the Arcadia theme. Back in the early '60's, I had a private tour of and lunch on the Arcadia when she was docked in Tilbury. I must have been 14 or 15 years old and had never been on a ship before. I specifically remember talking to an Assistant Purser by the name of John Bonham.

For whatever reasons (maybe it was the ship's smell of the Orient or the uniform) I decided that I wanted to be just like him and devoted the next few years to meeting P&O's academic requirements for a Purser Cadet (6 'O' levels and 2 'A' levels.)

I went to sea in the 'Orsova' in February 1966 and John was an A/P on board! What a character! Some of his unique verbal expressions are still in use in my household some 60 years later. And some of his antics are still fondly remembered.

That short event (the visit to the Arcadia) changed my life.

I sometime wonder if we really know what impact the small things we do, or say, have on other people.

As for John, I know that after he left the sea, he opened and owned an antique bookstore in downtown London.

It's all about nostalgia, ain't it?
Old 21st June 2020, 07:05

More Cruising 1959

Another incident which probably happened many times was when one of the Utility Stewards working in the Tourist Class platehouse decided to enter the Tourist Class Fancy Dress Ball as a Tramp. He didn't think that was a particularly original costume and expected to collect a few free drinks and get knocked out early. This was not to be and it was looking like he might even win.

The judge was "Peddler" Palmer the Tourist Third Steward and boss of the platehouse. The U/S by this time emboldened no doubt by free alcohol gave "Peddler" a broad wink as he passed. Talking about it later he said the look on "Peddler's" face as recognition dawned was priceless.
Old 22nd June 2020, 04:47

More Cruising 1959

I was to be reminded of those times when I was working as a Bricklayer in 1974. One of the other Brickies was Roy Wilmot and we recognised each other from the Arcadia. He reminded me that he'd led a strike by the Tourist Platehouse Crew against the tyranny of "Peddler" Palmer.
I later watched a TV documentary called "A Brickie named Roy and a Chippy named Ray". Yes it was about the same Roy Wilmot and how he'd become a millionaire.
I remember it was 1974 because Roy's mate Jack had a brother who was a Labour Candidate in the February election of that year. Jack had lived and worked in New York and would wax lyrical about working up high, watching the United States and all the other big ships steaming up and down the Hudson.
The job I worked on before that was the Daily Telegraph building in Fleet Street. The Bricky I was teamed up with and our Labourer were both ex-seamen and one of the Chefs had been in the Arcadia in 1959. So lots of Lamp Swinging on that job.
Like all good things Cruising 59 came to an end. We payed off in Tilbury on 4th October and signed on for the next trip.