HMS Athena - Ships Nostalgia
06:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Athena

User Tag List

Old 27th April 2014, 19:48

HMS Athena

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum and am trying to find out some information on the HMS Athena and a proclamation that is given to a crew member. This proclomation was given to my grandfather who served on this vessel. I would appreciate any information on this subject from anyone that is aware of this proclomation.

Regards

Colin A
Old 27th April 2014, 22:20
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 27th April 2014, 23:36
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Colin,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and hopefully someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around.
Old 28th April 2014, 08:08
Super Moderator

Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Colin.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck
Old 28th April 2014, 12:37
Super Moderator

A warm welcome to SN. I hope that you will enjoy your membership.

I am unable to find any record of a ship or shore station named Athena in the Royal Navy, or any other Navy. There was an HMS Athene, a Clan Line ship converted into an aircraft transporter, but no HMS Athena.

Could your document be part of a joke?
Old 28th April 2014, 16:03
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Perhaps this is the vessel you seek:

http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/page2051.html
Old 28th April 2014, 19:30

HMS Athene

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred henderson View Post
A warm welcome to SN. I hope that you will enjoy your membership.

I am unable to find any record of a ship or shore station named Athena in the Royal Navy, or any other Navy. There was an HMS Athene, a Clan Line ship converted into an aircraft transporter, but no HMS Athena.

Could your document be part of a joke?
Thanks for your response, and I incorrectly quoted the ship name, it is the HMS Athene which as you say was originally a clan line ship that was requesitioned by the navy and converted into an aircraft transporter. I have since found that the document I mentioned is a neptunus rex certificate which is issued on the crossing of the equator. I am still researching this as there seems to be different types of this document. Again many thanks for your help.
Old 28th April 2014, 20:14
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
It is simply a certificate given to someone who has crossed the equator for the first time and has been covered in gunk and god knows what else.
Old 28th April 2014, 21:02

Thanks Chris,

All this research to say he went from a pollywog to a shellback.

Thanks for your help
Old 29th April 2014, 09:35
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Colin and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 29th April 2014, 12:23
Active: 1972 - Present

My location
Hi Colin
My father served in HMS Athene during WW2 and just recently my mother gave me a Crossing the Line proclamation that was his (he died in 1965).
Could this be the sort of proclamation that you refer to?
Old 29th April 2014, 19:24

Athena proclamation

Hi JT,

Thank you for your response, It was my Grandfather that served on this vessel and his name was W. Collins. The proclamation you refer to seems to be what I have, a neptunus rex certificate that is given to a seaman that has crossed the line for the first time and presume that these all look the same for this vessel. I would like to take this time to thank yourself and all the other members that have forwarded information for me considering that I have only joined this site 2 days ago. Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated.
Old 25th May 2020, 20:19

My grandad also served on the Athene and I have a copy of his certificate. His however commemorates ten crossings of the equator and lists the ports and destinations they sailed to. My struggle however is finding crew lists (only so far from forums like this and adding a name to my list such as Colin's granddad). Also, knowing the Athene didn't sail until 1940, it's finding what my granddad did before then other than the naval equivalent to basic training. Then there's a story where he was picked up trying to get back on board a ship after extended shore leave (potentially going AWOL) as he was found under a coat covered in ice. That has sparked stories of him being involved in Arctic convoys but they didn't commence until 41 and my granddad was on the Athene at that time and I don't believe it was involved in those particular convoys. Plus I am pretty sure you don't have to be in the Arctic to have a coat covered in ice.