Former WELLPARK Cadet - Ships Nostalgia
11:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Former WELLPARK Cadet

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 9th February 2007, 06:15
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Former WELLPARK Cadet

I was cruising in New Zealand last week aboard the STATENDAM and was on the bridge for departure Dunedin. We had two polots on board. One for Dunedin and the other was aboard to take us into Milford Sound the next day for 'scenic cruising'. I only ever did 'scenic cruising' twice with Denholms. First occassion was on the SEVONIA TEAM when we came in close to Malta to have a look. Some naval vessel told us off for coming so close inshore. The second time on the LOCH LOMOND... taking a closer look at Acapulco and the local pilot boat told us to 'go away' as well.

Anyhow, the last few minutes in Milford Sound before the pilots disembarked I found out that the junior pilot was Craig Holmes... ex Denholms. Not enough time to get any more information othen that he was cadet on the WELLPARK when she rescued the boat people.

If anyone wants his e-mail I'm sure I can get it.

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10th February 2007, 12:18
Fenton Fenton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
Hi

I am Andrew Griffin's daughter and looking for more people's memories ofmy Dad and the rescue, it would be great if you could point him the direction on the Wellpark rescue thread or the one I started that is anyone sailed with Andrew Griffin.

Much appreciated
Carmel
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10th February 2007, 14:20
John Cassels John Cassels is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
My location
Posts: 2,963
According to one of the three licensed Fjordland pilots , Mr.Holmes is not one
of them.

jc
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th February 2007, 21:09
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
According to one of the three licensed Fjordland pilots , Mr.Holmes is not one
of them.

jc



John,

As I said...

"We had two pilots on board. One for Dunedin and the other was aboard to take us into Milford Sound the next day for 'scenic cruising".

Craig was on as Trainee pilot.... armed with digitial camera. Milford Sound pilotage must be one of the more plesant piloting jobs in the world. Not exactly an easy job but certainly a sight you would not get tired of. When the wind begins to howl through the entrance in the late afternon it gets quite hairy.

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13th February 2007, 08:07
NZSCOTTY NZSCOTTY is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
My location
Posts: 567
As one of the Fiordland Pilots I am pleased that you corrected the fact that your mate was a trainee pilot. There has been a lot of politics from maritime NZ and Environment Southland regarding Foirdland and a risk assesment which was done over 12 months ago and still not reached any conclusions. The only people not consulted were the Fiordland Pilots!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13th February 2007, 14:12
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSCOTTY View Post
As one of the Fiordland Pilots I am pleased that you corrected the fact that your mate was a trainee pilot. There has been a lot of politics from maritime NZ and Environment Southland regarding Foirdland and a risk assesment which was done over 12 months ago and still not reached any conclusions. The only people not consulted were the Fiordland Pilots!!

Interesting. I guess the envrionmentalists want to put a stop to the ships calling in the Sounds? Would be a shame to ban the ships. As you well know the day in the Sounds is extremely popular. Have you piloted STATENDAM by any chance with Captain Bos? Good friend of mine.

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14th February 2007, 21:30
NZSCOTTY NZSCOTTY is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
My location
Posts: 567
Yes I did Stattendam twice this season with Peter. Excellent Master. Just came off the Pacific Venus last night after another great day in Fiordland.

Yes the greenies want the place for the deer and possums only and the govt depts are out of their depth!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18th February 2007, 20:54
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSCOTTY View Post
Yes I did Stattendam twice this season with Peter. Excellent Master. Just came off the Pacific Venus last night after another great day in Fiordland.

Yes the greenies want the place for the deer and possums only and the govt depts are out of their depth!!



Scotty,

Yes, Peter is a good fellow. Well respected by everyone who sails with him. E was opriginally Shell Tankers (Netherlands) before moving to Holland America in the early 80s. I've sailed with Peter numerous times since 1993 including the 4 month world cruise in 1995. Long cruise and thankfully on occassion I was able to avoid the other pax by having dinner in Peter's cabin with his wife Kathy. Kick the shoes off and relax.

Excellent ship handler. I was most impressed to watch him bring the old ROTTERDAM alongside in Ketchikan one day. Twin screw steam turbines, single rudder, bow thruster... no more than ten feet to spare either end... no tugs and a fair bit of current. Not a scratch on the paintwork... or even close!

Are you ex Denhom also?

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20th February 2007, 21:08
NZSCOTTY NZSCOTTY is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
My location
Posts: 567
No I am ex Ben Line. It was John Cassles who let me know about the Fiordland Pilot thing and you meeting a "Trainee".

Just back again from the wilderness. This time three days with the small vessel Clipper Odyssey. Once again believe it or not majic weather in Fiordland. Off tonight for the Europa this time!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14th March 2007, 01:48
Andy-D Andy-D is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
I was cruising in New Zealand last week aboard the STATENDAM and was on the bridge for departure Dunedin. We had two polots on board. One for Dunedin and the other was aboard to take us into Milford Sound the next day for 'scenic cruising'. I only ever did 'scenic cruising' twice with Denholms. First occassion was on the SEVONIA TEAM when we came in close to Malta to have a look. Some naval vessel told us off for coming so close inshore. The second time on the LOCH LOMOND... taking a closer look at Acapulco and the local pilot boat told us to 'go away' as well.

Anyhow, the last few minutes in Milford Sound before the pilots disembarked I found out that the junior pilot was Craig Holmes... ex Denholms. Not enough time to get any more information othen that he was cadet on the WELLPARK when she rescued the boat people.

If anyone wants his e-mail I'm sure I can get it.

Stephen
i sailed with craig on wellpark and met him years later, he was master of a coaster..last i heard he was joining met. police.must have changed his plans!!!be obliged if you could get his e-mail address
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31st May 2007, 13:06
Orkney Orkney is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
My location
Posts: 33
I sailed with Craig on Wellpark prior to the boat people rescue and interestingly, I was asked for his email address recently from another of his old shipmates. If you could get it that would be great Stephen. I was in contact with him a few years back while he was still in the UK but he left soon afterwards and we lost contact. I had heard he was piloting out there.
By the way, was Captain Mateboer on Statendam or is still on Princendam?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14th June 2007, 16:22
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkney View Post
I sailed with Craig on Wellpark prior to the boat people rescue and interestingly, I was asked for his email address recently from another of his old shipmates. If you could get it that would be great Stephen. I was in contact with him a few years back while he was still in the UK but he left soon afterwards and we lost contact. I had heard he was piloting out there.
By the way, was Captain Mateboer on Statendam or is still on Princendam?


Graeme,

Will try to get it later this year when I am back 'down under'.

Mateboer is now permenantly on the new NOORDAM.

Best,

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14th June 2007, 20:05
Jim MacIntyre Jim MacIntyre is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
My location
Posts: 240
Stephen
How did you wangle a bridge visit ??? You must have some kind of 'in' with HAL !! (just joking) I certainly envy you - My wife and I did the Statendam cruise last February (2006) The entire voyage was absolutely spectacular but must admit the cruise through the Sounds was the highlight.
Recall we had to leave Napier due to a 'sympathy' swell inside the breakwater. The ship was surging fore and aft about twenty or so feet and after parting the first line ashore we left Napier and slow steamed on to Wellington.
I was usually up and about for all the port arrivals and the berthing in Port Chalmers was certainly an impressive demonstration of ship handling.
Cheers
Jim Mac
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17th June 2007, 16:33
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim MacIntyre View Post
Stephen
How did you wangle a bridge visit ??? You must have some kind of 'in' with HAL !! (just joking) I certainly envy you - My wife and I did the Statendam cruise last February (2006) The entire voyage was absolutely spectacular but must admit the cruise through the Sounds was the highlight.
Recall we had to leave Napier due to a 'sympathy' swell inside the breakwater. The ship was surging fore and aft about twenty or so feet and after parting the first line ashore we left Napier and slow steamed on to Wellington.
I was usually up and about for all the port arrivals and the berthing in Port Chalmers was certainly an impressive demonstration of ship handling.
Cheers
Jim Mac

I've known Captain Bos since 1993 when he was Chief Officer on STATENDAM and she was a brand new ship! Sailed with him many times since then, mostly on board the old ROTTERDAM. First class fellow and a fine seaman and a rather good ship handler as you state.

I spoke to him just a few days ago.... he was off to rejoin STATENDAM in Vancouver. Will see him again when STATENDAM comes back to Australia in November. He shifts over to VOLENDAM late next year when she starts on the Aus/NZ run.

I've sailed in STATENDAM quite a few times since her maiden voyage. She is wearing well..... out in front of the house at least. Behind the scenes she is struggling a bit. Plumbing, tank tops etc etc.... all beginning to cause problems. My guess is that she will be replaced in another five years or so. Sad because she is a rather handy size ship.

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30th November 2019, 10:03
advara advara is offline
Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1976 - Present
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7
Despite visiting this site a few times over the years, this is the first I've seen of this thread. Anyway, I was the trainee pilot in question and I'm still piloting ships in Otago Harbour and around Fiordland. I've got another few years to do, but I only work six months of the year now on a semi-retirement gig.

I was at the Wellpark rescue 30 year reunion in LA in 2008 but didn't do the 2013 London reunion, which actually had more Wellpark crew there.

I've sailed with Peter Bos in both the old Statendam and in the newer Noordam. A brilliant master and great all round geezer :-) He retired last year.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30th November 2019, 13:31
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Connections. I did one stint in Wellpark in '79 as Mate. Heading up the China Sea I asked Capt George Anderson, "What is plan if we happen to see some boat people requiring assistance?" He had a very 'PC' answer, but left it open for the chance of an O.B.E. :-) We didn't see any.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 1st December 2019, 04:10
kauvaka kauvaka is offline  
Senior Member
Active: 1959 - 1963
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 349
Re Fiordland. Do cruise ships go into Doubtful Sound/Deep Cove, home of the Wanganella for many years. Hostel ship for the Manapouri Project.At that time the wharf was not yet built and she was tied up in the middle at the head of the sound. Darcy Kirkland was her master when I worked on her in 1963 or 4. Is he still around?

Last edited by kauvaka; 1st December 2019 at 04:15..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 1st December 2019, 07:32
Engine Serang Engine Serang is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSCOTTY View Post
Yes I did Stattendam twice this season with Peter. Excellent Master. Just came off the Pacific Venus last night after another great day in Fiordland.

Yes the greenies want the place for the deer and possums only and the govt depts are out of their depth!!
I'm with the Greenies on this one. Who wants a big boat full of Dutch Marauders and Fat, Bloated Americans with blue rinses contaminating the pristine habitat with their sulphurous emissions and the smell of beefburgers?
And nobody's sure who the Pilot is.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 1st December 2019, 08:38
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim MacIntyre View Post
Stephen
How did you wangle a bridge visit ??? You must have some kind of 'in' with HAL !! (just joking)
Jim Mac


I have known Captain Bos for 26 years... knew him when was Chief Officer.

The first time I met him was in the then new STATENDAM. The ship was north bound from the Caribbean to New York in April 1993. In the middle if the morning with the 'Ocean Bar Crowd', having our morning Bloody Mary, I was paged over the PA, come to the Front Office. Everyone assumed there was a problem about the bar tab! Went to the desk and the Ch Officer, Pieter Bos, was waiting. He then escorted me to the Bridge. Not a clue what going one. Captain Dijk was there waiting for me. Turned out that there was a medical evacuation required for a passenger and the nearest port was Bermuda. They knew that I had been Harbour Master and they were asking the best way to get through to the Pilot ground or could there be another place to make the transfer to save time. Easy as that.

Over the years we became good friends. Pieter and his wife Cathy are great fun. Here is a little party in my cabin. Pieter and some friends for dinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PH 1.jpg (45.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 1st December 2019, 09:34
Barrie Youde Barrie Youde is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,923
#18

"And nobody's sure who the pilot is".

A highly relevant point, beautifully made!

Time was when the names and addresses of licensed pilots were published for all to see in Holden's Almanack and other such publications. It is barking madness that there might be any secrecy or lack of complete clarity about pilotage, particularly when and where it is imposed by compulsion on the general public.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 1st December 2019, 11:58
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
I'm with the Greenies on this one. Who wants a big boat full of Dutch Marauders and Fat, Bloated Americans with blue rinses contaminating the pristine habitat with their sulphurous emissions and the smell of beefburgers?
And nobody's sure who the Pilot is.


PACIFIC VENUS? No, you would fine on this ship. Do you speak Japanese?

The crowd to watch out of this area is the P&O Australia ships... mostly Australians.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 1st December 2019, 12:09
Barrie Youde Barrie Youde is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,923
#18 and #20

Public ignorance of pilots and pilotage has reached highly dangerous proportions.

Another thread here in SN reports that in UK a Metropolitan Police criminal investigation into marine pilotage has been running now for three and a half years, with a former Shipping Minister placed under suspicion of misconduct in public office. Although the investigation is open, no police officer has yet begun to address either the facts or the law. No effort has been made at all.

Yesterday I was obliged to write to the Chief Superintentendent in charge of the investigation, pointing out that a ship is a very large moving object without brakes; and therefore a highly dangerous thing if in the wrong hands. I find myself astonished to have to make that explanation to any intelligent person.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from ex Ben Line Cadet NZSCOTTY Ben Line 31 6th August 2013 11:05
Brocklebank Cadet Ships tom e kelso Brocklebank Line 10 7th January 2007 18:34
Mv Wellpark scossie Ship Research 3 21st August 2006 23:44
cadet reporting for duty sir clayholeblue1 Say Hello 6 22nd June 2005 20:06



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.