new info - Ships Nostalgia
11:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

new info

User Tag List

Old 29th November 2014, 20:30
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

new info

my great uncle cpt mc millan harbour master scrabster/ ben line
died 28 dec 1984 theres a plack in the harbour masters office
the co ordinates are on the plack where he was buried in the
pentland firth
Old 30th November 2014, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVER2DEEP View Post
my great uncle cpt mc millan harbour master scrabster/ ben line
died 28 dec 1984 theres a plack in the harbour masters office
the co ordinates are on the plack where he was buried in the
pentland firth
I remember him well. He was the Ben Line Thames pilot along with Alf the boatman
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2007

Yes Your Uncle and Alf were two characters they always wanted their sandwiches and Alf also wanted some to take home as he used to say my wife will not have time to cook me something. They would both come on board at Graveend and Alf would sometimes take the wheel then when we came to the locks for eithe Victoria or West India docks Alf would take over and command the PLA tugs Plasma,Platina,Platoon etc. I have told this story before but Alf wanted some white paint to paint his garage door and mentioned to the Ch/of that our accommodation always looked good, so could he have some. The Ch /of sent me to get the painte and told him to fill a MMelroses coffee tin with white paint and to bring a six inch nail. I brought the tin to the bridge and the ch/of took it onto the wing of the bridge andd banged the nail into the bottom of the tin. He gave the tin to Alf who was on the wheel and told him to put in his raincoat pocket before the old man saw it. Alf did this as he was at the wheel munching his sarnies and drinking his mug of tea. It was all laid out on the Pilots chair next to Alf just like a table. As he was going ashore the Ch/of said to me he want ask for anymore paint but he will have to buy a new coat. It leaked into his pocket.Cruel things people did . Your uncle and Alf could also tell some stories whilst we waited in the river for exiting vessels to come out of the docks.
Rgds Ian.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian keyl View Post
Yes Your Uncle and Alf were two characters they always wanted their sandwiches and Alf also wanted some to take home as he used to say my wife will not have time to cook me something. They would both come on board at Graveend and Alf would sometimes take the wheel then when we came to the locks for eithe Victoria or West India docks Alf would take over and command the PLA tugs Plasma,Platina,Platoon etc. I have told this story before but Alf wanted some white paint to paint his garage door and mentioned to the Ch/of that our accommodation always looked good, so could he have some. The Ch /of sent me to get the painte and told him to fill a MMelroses coffee tin with white paint and to bring a six inch nail. I brought the tin to the bridge and the ch/of took it onto the wing of the bridge andd banged the nail into the bottom of the tin. He gave the tin to Alf who was on the wheel and told him to put in his raincoat pocket before the old man saw it. Alf did this as he was at the wheel munching his sarnies and drinking his mug of tea. It was all laid out on the Pilots chair next to Alf just like a table. As he was going ashore the Ch/of said to me he want ask for anymore paint but he will have to buy a new coat. It leaked into his pocket.Cruel things people did . Your uncle and Alf could also tell some stories whilst we waited in the river for exiting vessels to come out of the docks.
Rgds Ian.
Alf and the wife always needed sandwiches ,usually ham to take to the Bingo. I believe there was one 2nd mate swapped the meat once for a couple of sheets of chartpaper.and Alf went off quite happy.I could name the 2nd.mate,A clue is that he became BLC manager in Southampton.
Old 4th December 2014, 16:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2007

HI John,
Was it big Duncan Mc or are you going back further in time to The even bigger man Derrick Hulme.
.Rgds Ian
Old 4th December 2014, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian keyl View Post
HI John,
Was it big Duncan Mc or are you going back further in time to The even bigger man Derrick Hulme.
.Rgds Ian
Hi Ian. Believe it was the bigger man.