Mimco Crusader Transmitter - Ships Nostalgia
01:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mimco Crusader Transmitter

User Tag List

Old 5th July 2019, 19:59

Mimco Crusader Transmitter

Follow-up from the Globespan here
Old 5th July 2019, 21:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

Every time I turned that big knob in the middle I held my breath !
Old 6th July 2019, 00:47
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Why on earth the 'big knob' was not interlocked with the HT switch will remain a carbonised mystery.
Old 6th July 2019, 11:32
Active: 1972 - 1980

Sailed with one on the Fleetbank which was a bit of an upgrade from the 'Span VI I'd sailed with on the previous trip on Weybank
Old 7th July 2019, 22:35
Active: 1966 - 1986

I did like the power though. The fluorescent tubes in the radio room would flash when keying on 4 & 6 MHz.
Old 7th July 2019, 23:48
Active: 1969 - 1982

... and the metal parts of the earphones would often burn your ears a bit on the old 'Serenia'...
Old 8th July 2019, 08:44
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braxton View Post
... and the metal parts of the earphones would often burn your ears a bit on the old 'Serenia'...
It wasn't just the use of 'open' antenna feeders (copper tubing) between the transmitter and the external antenna that caused such phenomena. Satisfactory grounding (earthing) of the transmitter was a cause of many problems that technicians, including those working in the installation planning department of MIMCo, didn't fully appreciate. For the Oceanspan range, tinned copper wire 7/.029" connecting the transmitter cabinet to a brass bolt screwed into the metal deck of the radio room was deemed adequate and, with the low powered Oceanspan range, did not exhibit any problems. This continued with Worldspan and Globespan and I can confirm that in hot weather, sitting at the key wearing only a towel around the waist, you had to be damned careful to keep the headphone cord away from your sweaty body if you wanted to avoid a painful reminder that RF does burn skin.

For the Crusader, after many initial problems, the earthing arrangements were improved somewhat to 6-inch wide, 0.4mm thick copper strip replacing the wire. With the higher power of that transmitter however, problems persisted, made worse by the changes in ship design that enforced the use of short, inefficient antenna arrangements. On some ships the length of copper tubing within the radio room was a significant portion of the overall antenna length.

To try to improve matters when Conqueror came along, I won a long struggle to convince the installation planning department, and others, that a minimum 12-inch strip must be used for the grounding. The transmitter cabinet was provided with appropriate connection arrangements for the wider strip and a specific grounding diagram was produced and included in the installation manual. Despite the power increase of Conqueror over Crusader, we had very few reports of operational problems with unwanted effects. A couple of years after the Conqueror entered service, I received a grudging acknowledgement from the head of the department that the transmitter had given them fewer problems than its predecessor.

Of course the real solution was to re-locate the transmitter's antenna tuning/matching arrangements out of the radio room, to the base of the antenna, being connected to the transmitter's 50-ohm output using co-axial feeder. Then all was calm within, as the transmitter's RF output was conducted into the antenna instead of bouncing around the radio room. This had become the standard for most manufacturers by the time that the radio room disappeared from ships and communication was transferred to the Bridge and the cabin.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:30
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1979 - 1987

Slightly off topic, a party trick which one captain particularly enjoyed was tuning up on 512 KHz or so with knee down on key, holding a lead pencil with the thumb on the blunt end towards the copper tube antenna feeder. A gap of a few inches would produce a long hissing orange RF arc in which with the other hand you could introduce a slip of newspaper. This would burst into flames and made a good captain's fag lighter when he lost his matches.
The only downside was a small but painless RF burn the size of a pinprick on the thumb.
It is interesting to note that at higher frequencies up to HF the colour of the RF arc turned progressively purple and the audio hissing tone increased. Someone should make a study of this phenomenon .
Old 8th July 2019, 11:56

Send me at once a Crusader, an appropriate gap and a good Captain. I will start the research upon receipt (might we also need a planck?).
Old 8th July 2019, 12:22

Where's our Troppo to enquire if this corona discharge was actually radiating and causing Class B QRM on the international distress frequency of 500 kc/s?
Old 11th July 2019, 23:37
Active: 1976 - 1986

I think it was on the Riverbank in around 77 that keying the main Tx (Conqueror or Crusader - I don't recall which) that keying on 22MHz literally stopped the ship - interfered with engine room electronics somehow. Good thing it wasn't any other band! My first trip as solo R/O!
Old 12th July 2019, 00:22
Active: 1966 - 1970

Crusader transmitter.

Found this MIMCO Crusader in the back room of a maritime museum in Port Chalmers NZ last, while on a Holland America cruise.
1101181528.jpg

1101181528a.jpg
Old 12th July 2019, 00:25

That looks in cracking condition.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:35
Active: 1973 - 1986

Cracking or crackling?