Ships Nostalgia banner

Fleetwood Nautical College

62K views 146 replies 43 participants last post by  RonSew 
#1 ·
Any Takers????????????????????? :)

#4 ·
she was a b****y good cook, god bless her, but stood no nonsence.once threw a jug of orange juice over a cadet 'cos he called her a silly ol' moo. she was a red head and lived upto the trait. still got the spanking marks on my assienda to proove it!

#5 ·
yes...............

it shows how times have changed.................

it would have ended in a court case these days......

i was there when ted heath visited the college when he was p.m..........

being a yachtsman......the college was on his list of "must visits" when he was in the fylde region.

i remember being in the library when he came in with his entourage.......
all silence and deep study...............

just like any other day really..............:)

best regards............

#112 ·
I was there that day. Don Bee was our main tutor, I did the MRGC then radar down at the north Euston, think I left and joined Kelvin Hughes in late74.......Hughie Mcgurk, Abbo, Ray Pilgrim, Piggy Rhymes, that little guy ex raf that could take morse at 75wpm are a few names that come to mind. We were lodged in the Dorchester near the sea cadets at first then moved into Mrs Race's b&b on street opposite the Jolly Roger. Happy days but hardest studying I ever did with all the B.O.T stuff being 75% pass mark....looking back it must have been some of the worlds best training and let's face it the fundamentals haven't changed even now. It gave me a good life so I can't complain. I think there was 200 on our intake and about 75 at the end with maybe 60 plus actually going to sea. I do wonder if a lot of today's youngsters could stand it. Rgds.....Ron Sewell

#6 ·
He was my mother's hero, said she'd vote for a pig if it were dressed in blue. when I said Ted looked like a pig, she chased me all over the house with a slipper. She was on the serving hatch that day, and her knees went to jelly when she served him a meal. I think only meeting the Pope would have surpassed that moment for her! Her name was Ida, (Irene as she told all who asked as she didn't like the name Ida) Pritchard

#7 ·
i must have know her nhp.......but my memory isnt so wonderfull these days.....:)

i do remember....... no one ever went hungry though, and my daily plate of chips always went down a treat.

funny, but i dont remember eating anything else in those days.........:)

#8 ·
Fleetwood Navigation School

I did my pre-sea at Fleetwood Navigation School 1963/64. At that time the school was situated in a building on Station Road, just off Dock Street. The radio lads used an annexe in an old school which I think was on Blakiston Street.
The head of the school was Captain Carruthers. Other staff were Roger Scholes, Bruce Taylor, and Neil Robertson. Another popular member of staff was 'Jed' Stone who looked after the trawler lads but taught us ropework. A less popular member of staff was John Shaw, a non-seafarer, who took us for maths and physics.
Cadets I remember were Brian Raven of Irlam who joined Manchester Liners, Sid Barnish and ? Bates (Bibby Line) of Preston, ? Worthington of Carleton, near Blackpool, Norman ? of Derby and ? ? of Wrea Green (South American Saint). At the time the main focus of attention was the "Burridge Blonde" who worked in Burridge's cafe and newsagents which was frequented by the lads.

I returned in 1968 to do my Second Mates. By then the new college had opened at Broadwater. I think it was called Lancashire Nautical College in those days and the lads focus of attention was now one of the young secretaries (brunette with gorgeous eyes) who worked at the college.

Happy days

Eric Walter

#14 ·
Fleetwood Nautical College 1972 to 1974

It was still Fleetwood Nautical College when I did my induction there as a naive 16 year old staying at the Royal National Mission for Deep Sea Fishermen in 1972. After 2 weeks there I went off to join the Worcestershire (Bibby Line) in Hamburg and was taken to the Reeperbahn for the bits of my induction that Fleetwood Nautical College left out!!!!

I did a double header on the Worcestershire and then a trip on the Cheshire, which took me well over the requisite 12 months seatime before I could go back to Fleetwood

By the time I got back to Fleetwood in late 1973 on the ONC Nautical Studies Course, I was a lot less naive and my memories seem to revolve mainly around McGinty's Goat in Blackpool (where I was in overflow digs on Warbreck Drive) and the then college anthem of Hi Ho Silver Lining of Jeff Beck fame!

Those were the days!!!!

Once I became an Uncert 3/O, Bibby's had no inclination to return me to Fleetwood to complete my ticket and their refusal to let me go back to college was ultimately my reason for leaving. I hadn't intended to permanently leave the sea at that time, just change companies, but I was young and foolish and did not make sure that I had another Line to go to before I quit.

Martyn Sutton

I did my pre-sea at Fleetwood Navigation School 1963/64. At that time the school was situated in a building on Station Road, just off Dock Street. The radio lads used an annexe in an old school which I think was on Blakiston Street.
The head of the school was Captain Carruthers. Other staff were Roger Scholes, Bruce Taylor, and Neil Robertson. Another popular member of staff was 'Jed' Stone who looked after the trawler lads but taught us ropework. A less popular member of staff was John Shaw, a non-seafarer, who took us for maths and physics.
Cadets I remember were Brian Raven of Irlam who joined Manchester Liners, Sid Barnish and ? Bates (Bibby Line) of Preston, ? Worthington of Carleton, near Blackpool, Norman ? of Derby and ? ? of Wrea Green (South American Saint). At the time the main focus of attention was the "Burridge Blonde" who worked in Burridge's cafe and newsagents which was frequented by the lads.

I returned in 1968 to do my Second Mates. By then the new college had opened at Broadwater. I think it was called Lancashire Nautical College in those days and the lads focus of attention was now one of the young secretaries (brunette with gorgeous eyes) who worked at the college.

Happy days

Eric Walter

#9 ·
thanks eric........

capt "charlie" carruthers..........principle

"pat" shaw.........as u say.........non seafarer but high in the power game

tom stone........lieut cdr R.N.R.........spent his war fishing for u-boats.
a "real" seaman and splendid man.......always wore blue pinstripe "demob" suits........but not a better man sailed the sea.

i dont remember the ladies in your post eric..........cos i was too busy studying to notice...........:)

#12 ·
did my deck officer traing there periodically from 78 to 82 - was located on the entrance to Flletwood at that time off the main roundabout.
The accomodation looked like a building exploding with blue boils - i think eventually got barred from most of the pubs in Fleetwood and Cleveleys - but Blackpool was far more accomodating!!

Food was ok whilst we were there two - joined with a group of 12 other BP deck cadets - 2 weeks induction then off to Iran on a chartered ship - 78/79 - right at the time of the revolution - 7 months on board and only got off once - great first trip !!

#15 ·
I attended my Navigation Cadet Training here in '67 to '68.

I remember Capt. Carruthers well. He was a short stocky man who had his own table at lunchtime. Whenever we raised or lowered the ensign he would watch to see if it ever touched the ground, 6p in the Lifeboat Box if it did!

Jed Stone was a real ace character. We had him for Practical Seamanship, ropework and stitching (either a ditty bag or a rucksack).

Pat Shaw was held in awe, as his wife was Swedish, I believe. He kicked off he rugby team as well.

As for Linda the secretary!!! WOW!!! What a stunner!!

Also remembering Mr. Ollerton, (Master Mariner), Mr. Wilson (English and Librarian), "Isaac" Hunt (PE), Dougie Stott (Navigation and Physics). Finally, I believe that Roger Scholes became the Principal after Capt. Carruthers retired.

One thing I will remember well were the Monday morning inspections. We had to be smart in those days!

Well, my Navigation days came to an abrupt end when I went for my Seaman's Docs and failed on my eyesight. So I returned to the College on a Sparks Course. Failed the finals too many times, so I left in '70.

So, from the Sparks Lecturers, Mr. Pilgrim, "Abu" Can't remember his surname now - sorry, Hughie McGurk, Don Bee.

Anyway, this is sad, but I still have my college cap! I found it tucked away in my wardrobe this weekend. This find got me harking back 40 years - hence my finding and registering on this excellent site! so, for all your 'pleasure', I've here is the picture of the Fleetwood Nautical college cap badge. I'm sure it will bring back a number of memories for past Students!

Oh! I almost forgot the mother of an old friend of mine, Mrs. Packer in the Office with the delectable Linda (whose legs never seemed to end).

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
jaydeeare.............

"abu" watson.......... also known as neville..........:)

the "abu" came about, cos they was the registration letters of his campervan........simple as that.

you see how informative s.n. can be after all these years?

don bee, ted hackett, ray pilgrim, arthur bill and john laughland........all keeping well, im pleased to report.

best regards from another ex fleetwood cadet (and later fleetwood lecturer)

p.s..................

you are right about tom stone being an "ace character"........one of the very best

#19 ·
I was there between 72-75 for my MRGC and DTI radar.

For the first year we were in the Dorchester Hotel on the prom near to the model boating lake.

Mr Wilson took us for painting during Liberal Studies on a Wednesday afternoon.

Another lecturer that I remember who was ex Manchester Liners - I believe he died of cancer several years after I left.

#17 ·
Thanks for the info and update, Sparkie :)

Once you mentioned about Abu's campervan it all came back to me! Wasn't it a Commer? He used to take it when we were out in the Lake District hiking for our D of E Award (never got it ,did anyone?).

They were all good lecturers, I can still remember a lot of the Nav stuff after all these years. They all left a lasting impression on me.

If any other ex -Cadets attended during Nav course '67 - '68 or Sparks course '68 to '70 want to get in touch, I'd be glad to hear from you!

#20 ·
i think that would be Ray Bisby , Quiney.

The Dorchester stalag was wardened by Bob Abrams (ex RAF) and Steve Musgrave.

My first college group was composed of Charlie Balshaw, Neil Brook (ex army) ,John Quine (maybe you), ***** Strickland, Bill Dow, Tony Georgiou,***** Elliot
**** Lyons (from southport) and a further cast of thousands.

feel free to send a PM if you wish Quiney.

best regards.........

#22 ·
Some good times

I attended FNC from Sept. 1969 to december 1971. I was in the very first class to sit the DTI general Certificate. Seeing the names of Ray Wilson, Don Bee, Isaac Hunt et al bring back some very good memories. I was in a Class with Nick Heywood from Preston, Roger (Chopper) McLean from Blackpool, Chris Wadsworth from Rippon and Chris Lamb from Kirkham. I myself travelled every day on the bus from Wesham. Most of the cadets stayed in digs and the Jolly Roger was their favourite haunt.

Thanks for reminding me of the good old days. Yes I do remember Linda. One of the older guys was going out with her. Can't for the life of me remember his name - he was a good footballer though. I remember the Monday morning thing. Everyone in the gym with full uniform. In the last year we could dress causal. What a relief but we "pulled" less - the Uniform did it's thing.

Glyn Lewis

#28 ·
I'm afraid not. We only had eyes for the ladies at the Revue Bar. Perhaps a change would have done us good. Ivor sounds like a bit of a lad.

Another good thing about supping in Blackpool in those days. You could choose where you wanted to drink without bouncers turning you away at the door if there were three or more of you.

Cheers

Eric

#30 ·
Apart from Linda (in fact at work we have a girl who could give her a run for her money in leg length!) one of the best parts of the day were the morning breaks with fresh toast and those fresh thick potato cakes topped with lashings of butter! WOW! My mouth is drooling just thinking about them!

When on the sparks course, the favourite pub of ours was The Mariners near the Ferry where the old railway station used to be. Had many a lunchtime pint in there. OK, it was a helluva trek by bus or tram, but hell! We were breaking the rules about drinking in uniform - Rebels to the end!!

I do remember Steve Musgrave, he used to take us for morse and that infernal machine!!

How many remember doing the evening typing course with that machine doing infinite E's to get the rhythm? 'Dad has all ash. Dad has all ash..... Tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.....

#33 · (Edited)
waxing lirically like that ericho, I knew there'd be a pint or two in there somewhere...........brown and bitter was it, or HALF A HEEVY AND A SWEET STOOT?????[=P] (Jester) (Hippy)
Steve musgrave retired from the college only a few years ago at the same time as retireing as 2nd cox of Fleetwood lifeboat. bought my first house off me but seams to have dissappeared. haven't seen him in a long while.(Smoke)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.