Ships Nostalgia banner

William Muir. Glasgow Nautical College

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  xdenholm 
#1 ·
Anyone remember William (Bill) Muir.
Teacher of Marine Engineering to 2nd class candidates at Stow College Glasgow and then later at Glasgow Nautical College.

#2 ·
When doing my Phase 3 (1976/7) William Muir was then head of the Ph 3 department in the new workshop block. Used to stick his head around the classroom door at lunchtime when we were in electrotech and give a nod and a wink to the lecturer (Patterson?) and that was it, off to the Clelland. We then followed at a discrete distance! (Thumb)

#3 ·
I was a year behind you for ph 3 (1997/8) and remember such a scenario occuring on several occasions! Great teachers though - done it all and seen it all. Times had changed by the time I got on the high seas on supertankers and was lucky to see land during a voyage!! Think old Bill is still with us?

#9 ·
I did my ph3 1972-1973 and certainly remember Bill Muir and Mr. Patterson, (can't recall his first name). Hugh Macauley, he used to recount stories of the "Drastic" and the "Chronic", powered by two H&W, B&W, four stroke double acting diesels. Must have been some ships! Anyone remember Joe Perkins, and a Mr. Cunningham? There was a David Davidson who taught naval architecture. It was a memorable year! thanks for the memories Norm!

#11 ·
Glasgow Phase 3

I did my phase 3 at GCNS from Feb 77 to Dec 77.I remember big Dougie Patterson coming into class one day before the exams,never said a word,wrote 2 worked examples on the blackboard and walked out.The next day all we had to do was change the numbers and the marks were ours.The best year of my life at Glasgow.I can say that because I am confident that the wife will never read this.

#15 ·
Your father will remind nostalgic place names such as “black row” and all it brung also the sea survival course with the Faslane ship breakers life rafts which Bill i remember finally came up gasping after he righted the raft not a nice experence being condemed rafts they use to leak co2 , send him my regards , i also remember Bill told us all about the earthquake down his way all those years ago
Best regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.