Ships Nostalgia banner

Reardon Smith Nautical College

67K views 141 replies 48 participants last post by  duquesa 
#1 ·
Can someone please tell me all they can about the above named college and, if possible any of the cadets who passed through it's doors in the 1950's. Thanks.

#3 ·
Readdon Smith Nautical College

Hi Alan, very good of you to get in touch. I was there 1957/58 and have been keen to track down any of those who were at that time. I have had absolutely no success. They must all have vanished into the ether. However, thanks to this site, last year I was put in touch with one of Capt.Rose's daughters. As a result of that contact,I now have some photographs of my fellow cadets and of the sail training vessel. She also brought me right up to speed on the staff. Many thanks. Enjoy your retirement.

#6 ·
I left in Summer 1961 to join the Clan Line. I found my old ID book a few months ago and can't believe such a fresh young man ever existed.

I went on afterwards to do a degree in UWIST which was the CAT in our days but have been involved in the sea and ships ever since.

I think it's a drug that hooks us all

#11 ·
I had just left school and was sent there for a two week induction course for the new ONC courses which started in 1970. The Margarita then was an ex mine sweeper. Sailed out of Barry.
It seems now to be something from a bygone age. Us ONC lads didn't even have uniforms. Woken up by bugle, climbing that bloody great mast and ballroom dancing lessons. Great induction for life on a tramp bulk carrier.

Peter

#12 ·
The original Margarita was no minesweeper but a very excellent sailing vessel of which we were all extremely proud. The minesweeper came later. Possibly the ex. St.David and no doubt under the command of the redoubtable Fred Ball.
I spent many happy nights on watch duty in both Barry & Penarth docks on the old girl. I have some excellent pics of her if anyone is interested.

#13 ·
Fred Ball

Saw the name mentioned. I was a good friend of Fred Ball through the 1960's and 1970's, both of us were attached to HMS CAMBRIA, South Wales Division, RNR at Cardiff. I did some annual training cruises on board HMS ST DAVID the ton class coastal sweeper attached to HMS CAMBRIA.
Usually Fred who was a Lt Cdr was in command and I a mere Lt was first Lieutenant, good old days and many happy memories.
Sadly Fred passed away last year.

Cheers.......Glan

#19 ·
Rsnc

I have found a decent pic of the 50/60's Margherita but have no conceivable idea how to get it from my desktop unto this page. Beyond the limits of my PC know how. (MAD) So, if anyone has instructions in idiot proof language, I may give it a whirl.

#20 ·
Assuming your pic is on your desktop.

When you have the Reply to Thread window open

1) Scroll down to additional options.

2) Click manage attachments

3) In the new window that opens click browse

4) Look to your left and you will see desktop

5) click on desktop

6) click on the pic, or folder then upload and away you go (hopefully)

#25 ·
HMS St David

Re the HMS ST David I mentioned, the ton class coastal minesweeper attached to HMS Cambria, Sth Wales Division, RNR. She was ex HMS Crichton, I was one of the officers that picked her up from HMS Vernon (Shore Establishment) Portsmouth. Had a name change to HMS St David.....M1124.
Cheers
Glan

#27 ·
Re the HMS ST David I mentioned, the ton class coastal minesweeper attached to HMS Cambria, Sth Wales Division, RNR. She was ex HMS Crichton, I was one of the officers that picked her up from HMS Vernon (Shore Establishment) Portsmouth. Had a name change to HMS St David.....M1124.
Cheers
Glan
What Year was that Jack? I remember the one lying in the East Dock Cardiff in 1956/9

#28 ·
HMS St David M1112

I believe it was around May 1961. We returned the 'old' St David to Portsmouth and commissioned M1124 as the 'new' St David. The old one M1112 had Mirlee's Diesels and M1124 had Deltic diesels, otherwise not much difference. Both 'open bridges' !
Cheers,
Glan

#29 ·
St David M1124

Hello Billieboy,

When we took the 'old' St David to Portsmouth and picked up the 'new' one, that was my first annual sea training since being attached to the South Wales Division, RNR. We execised daily out of Portsmouth for a week and then had a 'foreign' visit, to Scheveningen, Holland. Just realised that you live in Holland and probably know it !
If my memory is correct, nearly all the other vessels in port were fishing vessels ! We had a great time, but on sailing from there for the return passage to Cardiff ran smack into a force 8 gale as soon as we departed Scheveningen.

Cheers,
Glan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.