Ships Nostalgia banner

Hull Nautical College

71K views 120 replies 58 participants last post by  2548hopw 
#1 ·
Anybody out there remember Hull Nautical College, George St Hull. I attended between 1978 and 1982 Capt Weatherston was in charge with a few other characters under his command. Anybody remember Nobby....ex RN signals who lectured in signals funnily enough. I was serving my time with West Hartlepool Steam Nav Co then and was known as Westy... Anyone else from that era Steve

#2 ·
I was there

I taught at the College from1981 until it closed effectively around 1985/86. The signals guy was Nobby Clark, others teaching at that time were Jim Hawkins, Dave Martin, Geoff Hunter, Maurice Labistour, Bill LIttlewood, Frank Barratt to name a few. You I think I remember for disgracing yourself out of the 6th floor chartroom window one Saturday morning whilst I was trying to instill some knowledge into you.

#5 ·
I did a pre sea course at Hull Nautical College which was run by Capt Littlewood. I also recall Nobby CLARKE who taught us for signals and was certainly a character. He had been around a long time as he had taught my father signals some 30 years previous. I was trying to recall the name of the instructor who taught boatwork on the Alex dock site I think it was something like Precious. He also took us for swimming at the Beverley Road baths. Ah happy days.

#6 ·
I was there in 1973. Nobby was teaching signals then. He also taught at Trinity House. He reckoned he was still officially employed by the Admiralty. Mr Meekin was another lecturer along with DR Derret (author of the ships stability books) He retired to run a fish and chip shop in Leven village near Beverley along with his brother Les, a former United Towing tug skipper.
Ray Jordan

#7 ·
Mee It was indeed Capt Bill Precious who taught you. He was like the house master at The Halls of Residence when I was there and initially round the corner on Cottingham Road at a place I think was called Newland House or something like that. Cheers Steve

#9 ·
I was at Hull 1976 (Mates) & 1981 (Masters). Passed both 1st time, more due to the college than me, I think. Well remember Joe Meakin who taught us stability. I came across him later when I took a semi-sub stability course at Aberdeen College in the mid '80's. Hadn't changed a bit, still the same pedantic (but really effective) lecturing style and still the same haircut!

On the same topic, I had Capt. Disston? for Master's orals. He was the local bete noire (every exam centre seemed to have one). For whatever reason I got on fine with him. I remember not being asked anything about the magnetic compass, just as well because I was clueless, and not being believed when I got back to college!

Not bad days really, but nostalgia's not what it used to be.(==D)

#12 ·
Cadet, I dont know the no we were usually in The Gardeners Arms which was almost opposite....Happy Days Cheers Steve

That must have been Newland Homes. The College used a couple of houses there. As has been said Capt Bill Precious was looking after it.

In the late 70's Hull Nautical College became part of the bigger Hull College of Higher Education and they tended to use other student accommodation instead of Newland Homes.
A big bonus as you mixed with the teaching students of the old Endsleigh college.

#13 ·
I remember having Captain Diston for orals. If my memory isn't failing he would sit with his pipe in his mouth with a severe look on his face but a very fair examiner. There was also Captains McQueen and Schultz in the foreboding Posterngate examination rooms!!!!!

#16 ·
Anlaby Road 1973ish

Hi,
Anyone remember their mugs from this photo taken near the end of the 2nd Mates ticket course in 1973, I think?
I'm in the white pullover but can't remember any one else's name, though I recall the guy at back second left was of German origin.
We had the luxury of a terraced house on Anlaby Road, quite a step up from the Newland's Homes digs on our first visit to the college in '71 when Dick Snape was a fellow student.

Attachments

#49 ·
Hi,
Anyone remember their mugs from this photo taken near the end of the 2nd Mates ticket course in 1973, I think?
I'm in the white pullover but can't remember any one else's name, though I recall the guy at back second left was of German origin.
We had the luxury of a terraced house on Anlaby Road, quite a step up from the Newland's Homes digs on our first visit to the college in '71 when Dick Snape was a fellow student.
Cannot remember all their names but from back left Sam?, myself Pete Nieschmidt,Mark Connor, ?, Kevin Holden, Tim Franklin, ?, Keith Shears, Yourself and finally Eric Mears. Where they are now I know not. I lasted until 1975 with Houlder Bros then until 1986 with what finished up as UASC. Now feet up and retired. Surfing the net for past memories I came upon your piece, nice to hear from you.

#17 ·
i was at Hull Nautical College,1972 at Boulavard,doing Mates home trade,i remember Nobby Clarke,doing the flags and morse,did extra on Sat mornings with the fishermen,then on piss to Rainers,had a flat just across the road,complete with many mice,Capt Disston took me for the exam,had to run back from the exam room to swat up on errors of the sextant during lunch time,passed

#18 ·
Very fond memories of Hull Nautical college! Did 2nd Mates (68) and Mates (70) at the Boulevard. Always remember us all studying very quietly in Boulevard when one of the fishing lads passing by outside started singing at the top of his voice " I'll be up your flu in a minute or two etc. etc....." Silence and study shattered. Brilliant!
Did Masters (74) at the new place, remember Joe Meekin. He was a great guy, managed to bang enough stability into me to get my ticket first time. A positive chap who always greeted the class with, " Good morning future Masters!"
Captain Diston very well remembered. dipped me for Mates first time - not surprising, I thought I knew it all having been 3/0 - he showed me I didn't! For Masters I had Capt Rial, passed OK and no compass! Cannot have done me any harm - I eventually became a BoT Examiner myself!!!
Happy days!!

#20 ·
I too remember Nobby Clark for signals. If you paid him half a crown he would give you extra tuition. At the last tutorial before you went up, very coincidentally I am sure, the message you had to receive was always very like the one in the exam. I can still recall his strange semaphore flag antics so that you could remember some of the letters. And wasn't a "5" just a series of as many dots as he could manage?

In '68 for 2nd Mates Orals I had Capt Fellingham at Posterngate - went in to see him full of trepidation as he had a reputation for giving out seatime - they apparently did not call him "Failing'em" Fellingham for nothing. He failed the first three before me but I passed, which was a relief.

One of the greates moments of my life was going to Burton's Buildings and finding out I had passed 2nd Mates. I knew the feeling of being on cloud 9 - I floated across the Square passed Q Victoria to phone my Mum! My passing was as much a triumph for her as for me, given the family trauma at the time. Then went to the Merch.(Merchant Navy Hotel) and sank a great deal of Guinness!!

#21 ·
Nobby Clark was an absolute star and the trawlermen were brilliant, they were always up for a laugh and never took it all too serious. Only the fishermen could wind Nobby up.
I remember when he used to take extra signal lessons on a Saturday morning for all who wished to attend. He got one of the trawlerman up to the front of the class to send a message on his prized self made morse tapper with flashing light. The guy was banging away so hard at about two words per minute we all thought he was going to smash the thing to pieces. After a couple of minutes Nobby cour bear it no longer and shouted "stop, Stop"
The guy had us all in stitches when he indignantly looked up and replied deadly serious "What's up Nobby, am I going too fast for you?"

#22 · (Edited)
We have had a reunion of our Second Mates (HNC 1976) course for the passed few years.
We meet up at the old college steps at noon on the Saturday and repair to the Old White Harte for 'liquid' lunch and 'swing the lantern'.
A few of the old lecturers turn up. (last year we had Jim Hawkins, Dave Martin, Frank Barrett, George West and Alan Hodgson)
This years gathering is on 25/26 September.
Course members who attend include Messers Vitty,Gudgeon,Bryce,Brown,Hardy,Brittain, Clegg,Simpson, Marsh,Smuff et al.

Mike Bartle

#63 ·
The Bouelvard Nautical school

Hi Tony I liked the youtube video of the school would it be possible to have a couple of photos one in particular which is "How to lower the Anchor" This was the Pre-sea Class of 1956 which has me the little at the front
Thanks Ian Walker

#92 ·
Hull College / Humberside Polytechnic

I attended the same courses and classes, I remember "Ham" well, I hope your doing fine my old friend.

It was a great course and it was fun, but the shipping industry had collapsed by then, very few of us ended up working in the Marine Industry, but we adapted to the new challenges.

I came across this website after searching for information about the old Hull Marine College, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much about, I've often wonder what became of our teachers, Woody, Jane, Steve, Dave, Tomlinson, sorry to any I've missed.

Tech ^_^

#29 ·
Hi I new to the site and I am captivated by the topics and information found.
I attended the Boulevard High School for Nautical Training from 1968 to 1972 and Nobby Clarke also taught us signals. The Head was Capt Allison, Capt Jones taught Navigation, could do with a bit of help with the other teachers that were there over that time period I attended. Thanks
I left the school in 1972 to join Fyffes as an engineering cadet and spent a further 2 years in Hull at the Polytechnic in Queens Gardens completing part 1 of the HND in marine engineering. Good times
Was in Hull last year and the old school is still there but I think it is a community centre now. From what I remember the Boulevard School and Trinity House became amalgamated not long after I left and all moved to the Trinity House site.
Chris Clarke - Ripon

#33 ·
I was there when Ivan D Allison (I think) was the boss, Weatherstone was I am not sure what discipline but sort of next man down. I remember him sending someone up the mast on the parade ground there as a disciplinary measure, with a bucket and brush and sponge to wash the nast down. When the lad was up there, he looked up and shouted "Get on with it" and was deluged when the lad wrung the sponge out on him. He found it quite difficult not to smile, the culprit was quite a joker.

I wanted a reference for an application to Alfred Holts and Allison wouldn't give me one, he said they reserved them for top pupils (I really wasn't), I applied without and had an interview with them and got a middies post.

We did have some real laughs, I can only remember a very few names, Carless, Doyle and that is about it.

Friday afternoons was ropework and splicing, after some basic stuff we used to do a wire eye-splice in 6 strand wire (called a Liverpool locking splice, I think). When you had done that tou could go. I have always (and still do) loved knots, rope and splices, and Icould do a splice to pass grade in about 10 min. I reckon I could still do it now, given a practice, just don't fight the pre-forming in the wire and it does itself. Hitchhike back to Leeds in about 2 hours, good break and hitch back on Sunday.