Stuart Le Fevre - Ships Nostalgia
06:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stuart Le Fevre

User Tag List

Old 25th January 2016, 19:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 2005

My location
Stuart Le Fevre

It is with great sadness I have to report the passing of Stuart Le Fevre who took over Navigating Apprentice Training in BP tankers.

He visited New Zealand a few years ago and we met up in Marlborough where I took him round selected Vineyards and we had a lovely day reminiscing. In his retirement he had planted a vineyard himself and recently they produced their first vintage of which he was very proud.

Our Old Salts group of e-mailers which he belonged to had a lovely e-mail from him a few weeks ago with a couple of photos showing he still had a twinkle in his eye and in which by his own admission he was so ready to go.

This from Jim his youngest son....'I knew how much the Old Salts meant to him when he first found the forum a while back and I know how good the community is at passing on each sounding of the ships bell when one more passes.

My brother actually found a lovely note in one of his diaries this morning of the Company Grace which we shall read when we raise a glass at his wake which says... Let us give thanks for safety from the sea, and for this bread with these our gathered friends. May the light guide us 'til our sailing ends.

So please pass on this news to all the Old Salts and let them raise one to him in their own time. RIP Stewey.

I will attach a photo of him aboard his first command.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Reliance ... Stuart le Fevre Master.jpg (37.2 KB, 252 views)
Old 25th January 2016, 20:20
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Never knew the man., never sailed in BP, but touched by your post. Calm seas to Stuart.
Old 25th January 2016, 21:06
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
Sad news, he was a very well known and well respected man.

Jim
Old 25th January 2016, 22:27
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1966 - 1979

I was a BP Deck Apprentice/ 3rd Off from 1966 to 71. His name was known to me but we never met. Sad news though. How old was he?
Old 25th January 2016, 23:17
ELDER MEMBER

I never met Stuart but we were in the same oldsalts group and it was sad news to hear that he had finally cossed the bar"

Thanks to Barnsey for letting the forum know,there must be many who had known him ,
jim
Old 26th January 2016, 01:36
Active: 1955 - 1962

Thanks for the info David, I did try to get in touch with Stuart but I believe he was a very busy person. He does appear on the Navigating Apprentices database.

I think he was a 1946 or thereabout intake, he sailed the Caution as Navigating Apprentice 21 June 1949

Sail with the wind.
Graham
Old 26th January 2016, 07:28
Active: 1969 - Present

I am sad to hear about Stuart,

I met Stuart on the Renown in Parita Bay, where he was liaising with the US Office and he used to make us laugh with his conversations with them. I later met him on the Fasgadair up in Aberdeen too.
Regards, Mike
Old 26th January 2016, 08:17
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Sad to hear that - I met Stuart on numerous occasions after joining BP in 1971, indeed I think it was he who interviewed me first off in Britannic House.
He visited Plymouth Nautical College a few times during my cadetship down there, along with Brian Elliott.
Always seems a friendly and fair man with us all.

RIP
Old 26th January 2016, 16:10
Active: 1971 - 1988

Sad to here the news. I met Capt. L. Fever several times in the early 70's at Bigpanic House and Plymouth College. I remember his visits to Plymouth always put staff at the RNC on edge, but he always seemed very approachable to me as a cadet.

RIP

Chris

R903573
Old 26th January 2016, 16:35

I can only refer to Capt Le Feve: I meet him in Britannic House Moor Lane, as a grease monkey, I believe Capt Leve become intime involved in BP's Deck apprenticeship scheme and training, sometime in the 70's.
There was quite a few gentlemen of the Nautical discipline, George King, Capt Ralph Maybourne, Capt Peter Mason, who were ready to put me into my correct pigeon hole, as an upstart and engineer. It was an very interesting time in my career, and I met many engineers and ship designers/Naval Architects (Peter Telford, and his team who completed the Manhatten Project.).
Old 26th January 2016, 17:34

My location
It's sad to hear the news, but I was fortunate enough to sail with Stuart Le Fevre on the Power in late 64/early 65 when he was the Extra Mate and I was a first trip Nav App. He was a great bloke and very good towards the Apps. He was also very good at his job so working cargo or bridge watches with him were easy and he passed knowledge on to me all the time so I was well versed in watch keeping and cargo handling when I paid off. I also seem to remember that he was keen on Lapsang Souchong and usually had a cup on the bridge after tea relief! It was rather nice actually!
Richard.
Old 29th January 2016, 18:50
Active: 1972 - 1979

I am very sorry to hear this. I believe he was about 90? I had a very sweet message from him during the centenary year, which I am trying to track down. He and his wife ran a vineyard in Somerset I think and were very active in the community. He is mentioned on page 3 of one of last year's pension magazines on his work to get BP seafarers memorialised at the national arboretum:

I am very sorry now that I didnt make more effort to see him during the centenary year.

He was a genuinely nice guy and a good cadet superintendent. Very sorry to hear he has crossed the bar. His Facebook page is still online.

nina

Last edited by ninabaker; 29th January 2016 at 19:01..
Old 30th January 2016, 09:22
Active: 1958 - 1975

I've known Stuart Anthony Nelson Le Fevre for over 55years. He crossed the bar on Saturday 23rd January, aged 86yrs. His funeral service will take place on Friday 5th February at 12:00 noon, at Higher Ground Meadow Burial Ground, Hackney, Corscombe. DT2 0QN (signposted from A356). The service will be followed by a private family only burial, and then people are invited afterwards to Clapton & Wayford Village Hall, Clapton, Crewkerne TA18 8PS.
The undertakers are A E Stoodley & Son, Crewkerne, TA18 7LU telephone : 01460 73229
Old 4th February 2016, 13:05

Stuart le Fevre

This is very sad news. I had the good fortune to sail with Stuart twice, I was an apprentice when he was Extra Mate on the Comet then I was 3rd Mate when he was Master on the Patrol. We walloped the jetty going alongside in Dundee it was the only time I saw him exasperated, the pilot was not popular. He was a gentleman and a good seaman. RIP Stuart
Old 4th February 2016, 22:31

My location
Stuart Le Fevre spent some time in Aberdeen together with George Buckingham where they were in charge of BP's Offshore Marine Operations . They both were chairmen of UKOOA Marine Committee, for a period, where they both were very capable and popular officers. We hold their memories with respect .
Old 6th February 2016, 22:52

In John Campbell's message I notice the name George Buckingham, I knew he served on the Sea Quest for a time, but didn't know where he ended up, is he still with us?, we served together on the laid up ships in the Fal; 56 years ago.
Tony Maskell
Old 7th February 2016, 02:27

My location
was on one BP tanker British Queen skinned out in Genoa, I"d had enough of cleaning and serving people and washing up Strange crew on her like, Went to college for me sparkies ticket not long after that.Much more fun.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Saafely Anchored now All the best Hughesy
Old 7th February 2016, 15:41
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Re George Buckenham, sadly he died at his home age 76 in October 2006.
George was with BP all his professional life starting as a deck apprentice in 1947 and rising through the ranks to Master. He was one of the first people to come to Aberdeen in the very early days of BP's North Sea Operations. He brought Stuart Le Fevre up to Aberdeen from Britannic House to work for him.
His final position was Marine Manager, Logistics.

Jim S
Old 7th February 2016, 16:26
Active: 1971 - 1986

George was the old man on my first trip as cadet in 1973 on the Inventor; a very likeable gentleman.
Old 14th October 2016, 22:48

Only just re-visited after a long absence:
SAN LeFevre was Master of the British Reliance when I joined as 2nd Mate in Curacao (1978?). His "reputation" was well known and huge. He left in Cape Town and I was sad to to see him go (though no reflection on his relief). Sailing with Stuart was one of the memories that stick after all the years; "Gentleman" seems a pale epithet, but he was, very much.
Old 14th October 2016, 23:17

My location
Although I did not know Stuart . I send my condolences to his family and friends on their sad loss .
Regards ,
Alex C .
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:50

Captain Le Ferve

Hi All I found this site a few weeks ago looking for information about Captain Le

I was, for a brief period in 1973, a Deck Cadet with BP Tankers, interviewed by Stuart Le Ferve. He always signed his name SAN Le Ferve.

I have just published a novel called Le Mat (The Fool), which begins with a genuine account of what happened while joining my first ship, the SS British Grenadier, on its way up the gulf.

I was lucky to survive the accident but left as a result. Captain Le Ferve was very kind about the affair and offered me six months on full pay to reconsider.

Out of respect for him I have used his name, with a disclaimer, because it deserves authenticity.

I would therefore like to contact any of his family to pay my respects.

Anyone that joined BP in 1973, and was in the Worcester in October, please reply. Anyone on the SS British Grenadier on November 14th ditto.

If anyone is interested my book is on Amazon for download or paperback.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mat-Fool-Ma...3322168&sr=8-2

Many thanks

Ian Russell
Old 10th August 2018, 13:54

My location
Thanks Ian, going to take a peek at the book...
Old 10th August 2018, 14:47

Thank you John. I hope you enjoy it. You can read the opening chapters on Amazon. It says unpublished updates pending at present because I am having problems at the Kindle End screwing up the Drop Case characters at the begining of a chapter or sub chapter. If you enjoy it please leave a comment on my page at https://www.facebook.com/Eratean/.
Old 12th August 2018, 15:38
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRussell View Post

Out of respect for him I have used his name, with a disclaimer, because it deserves authenticity.

I would therefore like to contact any of his family to pay my respects.
Ian,
Stuart Le Fevre (not Ferve) was well known and, I think, liked by all the cadets of my era (I started in BP in 72). During the preparations for the BP Shipping centenary in 2015 I was in touch with him by email but sadly never got to meet up with him before he died. I sent my condolences by email and can pass you his son's email address to you if you send me a private message her.
regards
nina