Tanker splits in half near Suez Canal - Ships Nostalgia
15:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Tanker splits in half near Suez Canal

User Tag List

Old 30th August 2009, 12:04

My location

I have just sighted this bizarre incident Reported in the Press with photographs - how could this happen?

A Panamanian fuel tanker has split in half and is sinking near the Red Sea entrance to the Suez Canal, 80 miles (130 kilometers) east of Cairo, Egypt, Friday, Aug. 28, 2009. Brig. Hagag el-Husseini says the tanker's 60 metric tons of engine fuel is leaking but port workers have contained the spill. The vessel was not transporting its usual cargo of oil and chemicals.

None of the 25 crew members was hurt and canal traffic was not disrupted.

El-Husseini says the tanker arrived Friday from Yemen for repairs. It broke apart while waiting to dock 15 nautical miles from port Taufiq, at the southern entrance to the canal

The vessel had a capacity of 59,000 tonnes but was only carrying its own fuel supply of around 60 tonnes, they added.

Authorities from the canal, which connects the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea, sent out vessels to rescue 24 sailors from the ship before it sank, the sources said.

The ship had travelled from Yemen for repairs in Suez port and had split in half during cleaning, state news agency MENA reported.

The cause of the accident was not immediately known.

Last edited by John Campbell; 30th August 2009 at 12:09.. Reason: additional info
Old 30th August 2009, 12:25
Retired, not expired

OK how the 'eck does a tanker do that...see photo in linked report...

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/worl...ear-suez-canal

Looks like something picked it up in the middle and snapped it from underneath
Old 30th August 2009, 12:35
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1998

As no mention of any explosion probably a ballasting cock-up during tank-cleaning.

73s

Marco
Old 30th August 2009, 12:37

Not the first, wont be the last.

Lucky she was in ballast at the time or it would have been a bit messy.

She Betelgeuse 1979 Bantry Bay, very different outcome that time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse_incident
Old 30th August 2009, 12:46

I remember being in Europort many years ago when a tanker with part cargo for Europort and part for Immingham broke in half. It sounded at the time as though a bomb had gone off. As far as I can remember it was caused by dischaging from the 'midship tank and leaving the fore and sfter tanks for Immingham, maybe another member may remember this and correct me if I am wrong.

Regards Robert
Old 30th August 2009, 14:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Wink The "Knick Tanker", Not Hogwash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post
I remember being in Europort many years ago when a tanker with part cargo for Europort and part for Immingham broke in half. It sounded at the time as though a bomb had gone off. As far as I can remember it was caused by dischaging from the 'midship tank and leaving the fore and sfter tanks for Immingham, maybe another member may remember this and correct me if I am wrong.

Regards Robert
The cause of the accident was the charterers order to switch the order of discharge ports, and the C/Os' reluctance to refuse to agree with the Master, both being Chinese and the Master being the older and therefore senior in age, as well as rank. The port went bonkers for weeks, especially as the emergency program, which had only just been revised after the casualty of the, "Agios Ioannis", was still found to be more than a little wanting. Additional regulations and queries, were added to paperwork covering the, "Notification to Harbour master-Dangerous cargo operations", which required both Master, C/O and receiver to agree on, with expected stress figures quoted. I cannot remember the name of the vessel at the moment, as it wasn't one of, 'My', ships.

Last edited by Billieboy; 30th August 2009 at 15:18..
Old 30th August 2009, 15:13
user

My location
"Split in Half" is good emotional stuff...

"Split in Half" is good emotional stuff, but it sells the newspapers... The following from Tradewinds is less sensational..

Worldwide Green Tankers says a stricken products tanker at the entrance to the Suez Canal is stable but "severely hogged".

The statement from the Greek company, identifying itself as managers for the ship’s owner, comes a day after reports that the 94,300-dwt Elli (built 1986) sank.

The company also says that no pollution has been reported. The Elli had no cargo, as it was awaiting a dry-docking, but had 60 tonnes of bunkers on board.

Worldwide Green Tankers confirms that the vessel’s crew was taken ashore safely and is assisting authorities.

Five Oceans Salvage has been hired to respond to the incident under a Lloyd’s Open Forum with a Scopic clause. The owner says the first step is assessing the condition of the tanker.

Worldwide Green Tankers, which is tied to a fleet of seven 1980s built tankers, was reported to have purchased the Elli in 2007 from compatriot Liquimar Tankers, which has told TradeWinds that it doesn’t own the ship.

The Lloyd's Register-classed, Panamanian-flagged Elli has protection-and-indemnity cover from American Steamship
Old 30th August 2009, 15:16
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post

Regards Robert
Engergy Concentration; she broke her back on 22nd July 1980 during a discharge of oil at Europort in Rotterdam. The two halves of the ship were later sold for scrap, with the front half towed to Split in Yugoslavia, whilst the stern section was taken to Barcelona.
Old 30th August 2009, 15:33

My location
That's the one Mark, the Energy was most certainly concentrated that night!
Old 30th August 2009, 15:34
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
That's the one Mark, the Energy was most certainly concentrated that night!
I am far too polite to comment
Old 30th August 2009, 16:47
Active: 1970 - Present

Hi Tonga,

Is the photo in the following link what you deck guys called hogging, us engineers have another word for it.

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/worl...ear-suez-canal

That was posted by Shamrock
Old 30th August 2009, 17:21

MJ
Yes she is hogged.

Regards Robert
Old 30th August 2009, 17:35

My location
Looks like someone didn't do his sums right, or maybe he got some jam on the loadicator disk!
Old 31st August 2009, 14:24
Retired, not expired

Updated report from Lloyds regarding the Elli...

http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/news/ti...3b5655190f397f

Another photo of her, this time taken from the stern view.
Old 31st August 2009, 16:28

"Authorities from the canal, which connects the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea,..."
Nice of the Press to explain what the Suez Canal is for!
Old 31st August 2009, 18:03

My location
I remember a tanker in the North Sea about 1980 breaking up for some reason. The Suffolk long shore fishermen were most concerned as she "hed brook in half in 3 places"
Old 1st September 2009, 03:04

out of line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancastrian View Post
"Authorities from the canal, which connects the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea,..."
Nice of the Press to explain what the Suez Canal is for!
SOME PEOPLE USE SITES FOR THESE FOR KNOWLEDGE> iF YOU SEE A MISTAKE BY ALL MEANS POINT IT OUT BUT PLEASE DONT ASSUME THAT EVERYONE, ESPECIALLY YOUNG PEOPLE, HAVE YOUR VAST AMOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE!!
Old 1st September 2009, 03:27
Active: 1970 - Present

OK then,

I thought the Canal connects the Red Sea with the Meddy, then again I am sure there is a bay at each end so technically the canal will join those.

If those with knowledge do not point this out to the young how can they become as smart as us. ?

My buddy who lives slightly north of me in SE Florida thought Scotland was like Ireland and had water between it and England and he is nearly as old as me.

I think Lancastrian may have been having a dig at the British Press.
Old 1st September 2009, 05:54

My location
I used to enjoy playing with the (analogue) lodicator to see what unconventional load distribution one could apply and at what point something nasty would be likely to occur. Filling the forepeak and afterpeak, leaving all other tanks empty on a VLCC was one such experiment.........!
Old 1st September 2009, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon2nite View Post
SOME PEOPLE USE SITES FOR THESE FOR KNOWLEDGE> iF YOU SEE A MISTAKE BY ALL MEANS POINT IT OUT BUT PLEASE DONT ASSUME THAT EVERYONE, ESPECIALLY YOUNG PEOPLE, HAVE YOUR VAST AMOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE!!
I can see two mistakes in your post and why are you shouting?
Old 1st September 2009, 08:46

I think this thread would combine very nicely with "Mariner Competence"!

Peanuts & Monkeys? or Certificates bought with Airmiles. Take your pick.
Old 1st September 2009, 08:47
user

My location
Take it easy and enjoy the Site for what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancastrian View Post
Originally Posted by bourbon2nite

I can see two mistakes in your post and why are you shouting?
bourbon2nite - The comment from Lancastrian is not unreasonable; all he was doing was poking a little harmless fun at the British Press, and frankly having a go at such an august body, who usually call everything that floats “A Tanker”, is seen my most as entirely fair game.

It is possible that with such an International site as SN, the meaning might have been a little hidden, and as such the use of emoticons is always there to underline when a comment is in jest or otherwise, but not many people would have confused a spirited joke at the expense of the UK Press, with anything else. In passing, it is worth taking note of the fact that USING CAPITALS is regarded as shouting and is actively discouraged on this and other Sites, so maybe it is worth counting to 10 next time and wondering if there is a secondary meaning behind what one is reading… I guess it is not the first time someone has misunderstood the written word, and on this basis alone it is usually worth giving folk the benefit of the doubt before jumping in with both FEET

So take it easy and enjoy the Site for what it is.

Mark

Last edited by non descript; 1st September 2009 at 08:54..
Old 1st September 2009, 09:16

My location
Tonga, your patience and tolerance astounds me ! I wish I had those attributes as strongly as you. Well done!
Having said that, I find it amazing that in this day and age someone had to come to this site to find out what the Suez Canal was there for and what it connected. And, I dont have a vast amount of knowledge!! As for using being young as an excuse, well, I knew what the Canal was for and what it connected when in grade 5 at school, thats around 10 years old.
Perhaps Bourbon2nite should take heed of what my grade 5 teacher told me - 'keep your ears open and your mouth shut', that way he will absorb more of the vast amount of knowledge available on this site. I wonder if an apology will be forthcoming ?
Old 1st September 2009, 16:35
Retired, not expired

It seems Elli had grounded before this incident, she ran onto a sandbank off Yemen in June this year, investigators are trying to find out if there are any links to her breaking her back and the previous grounding incident a few months ago...

http://lloydslist.com/ll/news/strick...3b5655190f397f
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:08

I dont think this was an Energy Concentration style casualty.
The C/M of the Energy Concentration was faced with a very complex
3 port discharge with nil sleep.
The Elli was inactive, and apparently in very light ballast.
In late May, LR took the very unusual step of suspending class.
Something was badly wrong with this ship.
My guess is we are looking at a very badly wasted hull.
This was certainly the case of the Betelgeuse
which killed 50 people at Bantry Bay.
See http://www.c4tx.org/ctx/job/cdb/4.2/flex.html
and search on the ship name.

KTF