The Nautical Institute. Does it have a future? - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
05:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Nautical Institute. Does it have a future?

User Tag List

Old 3rd February 2010, 14:40

Regret to report I too, a Founder Member, has just resigned. I don't have a problem with what they are trying to do, but I realised that we are still on about the same problems we had when I went to sea in 1961. As a retired sailorman I have to watch where the dosh goes. They'll have to manage without me; the wine merchant won!
Old 4th May 2010, 21:54

I agree with the mutual appreciation society statements on here. Also the arrogant "we're right and everyone else is wrong" attitude is annoying. I read an issue of Seaways recently and the gist in one of the articles was that headup is the way to have a radar and anyone using any other display mode was wrong. This got the usual backslapping I have come to expect in this publication.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Hi Chadburn
Thats interesting info. As I had some good friends on Derbyshire (Norman Marsh C/E, Fred Chedotal Electrician, "Bish" Waller RO) and had also sailed with Geoff Underhill (Master), I shall read the Derbyshire thread again from the point of view of what you have said.

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 19th May 2010, 19:34

My location
At a meeting last night, in Aberdeen,of the Nautical Institute we learned that proposals are afoot to open up Membership to all Mariners afloat or ashore who are in positions of responsibility. This will include Chief Engineers and Chief Stewards so a Master Mariner's cert. will no longer be required for Membership.
This proposal goes before the AGM next month and it is anticipated that these changes will be made thereafter
JC
Old 11th June 2010, 13:37

Surely those who do not possess a Master Mariners will only be allowed Associate Membership (AMNI). I understand this to be the current position.
Old 11th June 2010, 18:57

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersey Anorak View Post
Surely those who do not possess a Master Mariners will only be allowed Associate Membership (AMNI). I understand this to be the current position.
Yes you are correct about the current position but you can take it from me that this requirement will change after the AGM today -in Ireland.
JC
Old 14th June 2010, 10:17

That's not good. I was aware that there was some dilution in general standards over the recent years but have never looked into it in any depth.
Old 24th June 2010, 19:09

My location
News from The Nautical Institute

For immediate release 24 June, 2010

PRESS RELEASE

The Nautical Institute revises membership
criteria for the 21st century

One of the world’s leading professional membership organisations has issued a challenge to those working in the maritime world to help be a force for change.
The Nautical Institute has announced a major revision of membership criteria to include all those in control of sea-going ships and those who support them. The initiative was unanimously approved by the Institute’s annual general meeting in Cork.
“This acknowledges that in the 21st century there are more than seafarers working to support those in control of sea-going ships,” said the Institute’s Chief Executive, Philip Wake. “It is necessary to recognise that the safe operation of shipping, whether commercial or naval, is now, or should be, an integration of the command team on board and the management ashore.”
“This will open up membership to those with operational level qualifications or those in sectors such as offshore, coast guard, port operations, and the management team ashore. We call on them to join and help make a difference to the way ships are operated.”
He continued: “Membership of The Nautical Institute will help all qualified seafarers keep up with new technology and regulations, and thanks to our new NGO status at IMO we can give members a direct line to that agency’s decision making.”
There are other benefits too. With membership of 6,500 in over 110 countries and over 40 branches, there are many opportunities for networking and to improve job prospects. “There is also the question of professional recognition,” added Mr Wake. “Increasingly employers are demanding membership of a professional organisation and often cite the Institute as an example of this.”
The new criteria are designed to welcome all maritime professionals with qualifications directly into full Membership (MNI) and to recognise professional development beyond paper qualifications. As a result, all qualified sea-going officers will be eligible to join as will pilots, harbourmasters, VTS personnel, Designated Persons and other shore based managers, professional yachtmasters, marine surveyors, maritime lawyers, and maritime health and welfare professionals. A new grade of Associate Fellow (AFNI) has been introduced to recognise professional development to command of sea-going ships; other senior positions at sea, such as Chief Officer and Chief Engineer; and those who have attained senior management positions ashore. Those undertaking initial education and training for a maritime career will be encouraged to join as Associate Members (AMNI) as will ratings, boatmasters and other non-management level personnel.

Full details of the new grades and criteria are available from the Institute’s website: www.nautinst.org where an application form may also be downloaded. An online application process is also being developed.

Ends
Old 24th June 2010, 19:19
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
I am starting to think that this is not the Nautical Institute I joined all those years ago. A world apart from the rented room just a spit away from Liverpool Street station. Time to move on, methinks.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:09

I will wait to receive this from them in writing - if/when, then it will be time to draw the line under them (and have my business cards re-printed)!!
Old 25th June 2010, 13:40

Thin end of the wedge. Time to move on.
Old 1st July 2010, 14:11
Active: 1970 - 1996

I have been thinking of resigning for a few years now but have given it the benefit of the doubt but enough for me too after 20 years.
I am sure I could put the money to a better MN related cause and I have enough unread Seaways articles to keep me going for another 20 years!
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyly View Post
I have been thinking of resigning for a few years now but have given it the benefit of the doubt but enough for me too after 20 years.
I am sure I could put the money to a better MN related cause and I have enough unread Seaways articles to keep me going for another 20 years!
Agreed! I have just received my copy of Seaways and will not be renewing my subscription. It would appear that full membership is now available to those having the remotest association with the sea. Associate Fellowship... what is that?
Old 4th July 2010, 05:07
Active: 1970 - 1996

I think what they are trying to say is they have increased staff numbers so much the subscriptions from Master Mariners alone does not pay the bills so they are following the "dumbing down" trend that plagues the industry these days.
Old 5th July 2010, 18:42

My location
Years ago I got disillusioned with the Royal Institute of Navigation when, in their magazine, they went into the homing instincts of pidgeons.
I feel now that some of the Nautical Institute articles are leaning to that sort of erudition; but they don't do it so well. A pity, the early years were quite vibrant and good. Now? I feel they cater to a different table. Maybe it is me, but I do not think the N.I is representative of the Professional Seaman and Officer ( or is that far too harrumphish?) any longer.
Old 5th July 2010, 19:32
Active: 1978 - 1990

That press release tells you everything you need to know about the NI.

Incomprehensible Bull****

Follow the money trail
Old 11th July 2010, 16:36

The Nautical Institute have always considered themselves the poor relatives of the IMarEST. I think this latest move have reduced their stature even further.
Old 12th July 2010, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by greektoon View Post
That press release tells you everything you need to know about the NI.

Incomprehensible Bull****

Follow the money trail
Would not disagree.

I do not have the article to hand but the final paragraph in the summation of the changes gives a clear signal that decisions on membership acceptance will be final and irrevocable.
There will be those out there implying they have more than they have based purely on this.
Old 12th July 2010, 18:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanstead View Post
Would not disagree.

I do not have the article to hand but the final paragraph in the summation of the changes gives a clear signal that decisions on membership acceptance will be final and irrevocable.
There will be those out there implying they have more than they have based purely on this.
I feel that this is very true. Was not the original membership criteria clear and satisfactory? I am not at all happy with this, serious membership thoughts ahead. The administration has gone a little sloppy as well.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:32

Exactly! In days gone by we have always assumed MNI flagged up that the individual was the holder of a Master's. There will be people using MNI now who will not have Master's but quite content to let people think they have. I think they call it 'passing off' in law.
Old 18th July 2010, 16:14
Active: 1963 - 2011

Should fit in well with all the "Captains" that abound ashore then?
Old 18th July 2010, 21:20

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Should fit in well with all the "Captains" that abound ashore then?
I agree there are a great many who have had a Masters FG Cert but never got beyond Second Mate who grandly style themselves as Captain - particularly those who are in the HCMM. However I have yet to see or hear of anyone who is happy with the new Nautical Institute requirements for membership.
JC
Old 19th July 2010, 14:54
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
I agree there are a great many who have had a Masters FG Cert but never got beyond Second Mate who grandly style themselves as Captain - particularly those who are in the HCMM. However I have yet to see or hear of anyone who is happy with the new Nautical Institute requirements for membership.
JC
John,

I fully agree with all these comments. Reading your earlier post I found it hard to believe that the current NI Management would have the audacity to make such a radical change in the requirements for membership in such an undemocratic manner. Now received Seaways and read the full details from the AGM, I'm even more disappointed. In one stroke they have devalued the Nautical Institute. I will have to seriously reconsider whether to renew my membership. Chris Allport FNI
Old 21st July 2010, 10:31

The next topic on the NI agenda will be the trend stop those who have actually held command and quite rightly use the title referring to themselves as Captain on the grounds that it demeans those who have not held such a position.
Wait and see.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:03

Like The Marine engineers the sea has become universal for all professional persons serving in some capacity at sea. As an oily rag and apprentice in the 60's the maritime influances came mainly from the Uk and Norway/Scandavia, and the USA, and the British Government support of the Red Duster. To day one I suspect has to follow the trail of investment money, and that the fleets are basically offshore to the old maritime nations. Commerece has the day. As Old foggies and past seafarers it is difficult to sustain interest in the Western European zone to create a vibrant and up and coming pool of youngsters who wish the sea as a career. It is frustrating and makes one wonders who cares, and who wishes to learn the lesons of experience. It can be lonely I suspect on a modern ship were the langauge is english but the native tounge is multilingual. Very lonely for a person who likes to chat