BP Culinary Triumphs - Page 22 - Ships Nostalgia
00:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

BP Culinary Triumphs

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #526  
Old 29th September 2012, 09:12
Old Janner Old Janner is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
My location
Posts: 1,219
Correct, "Navarine of Lamb", chief steward used to make me put a sprinkling of small harricot beans in as well. I think from the recipe book they were called for.
As in alot of MN recipies they varied according to what you had to work with, or what somebody else thought it should be!

OJ
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 29th September 2012, 12:23
kevjacko's Avatar
kevjacko kevjacko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,983
Today for the first time in eons, I have bought a tin of oxtail soup. It's something I haven't had since the days of 'mad cow disease' in fact did they not stop producing it for a while? It just seems like years since I've seen it. Anyway I bet it's not as good as 'yesterdays braised oxtails, knocked back into a soup for the next day's menu' like we used to do at sea.
__________________
Distant ships carry all men's dreams
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 29th September 2012, 13:11
Ray Mac's Avatar
Ray Mac Ray Mac is offline  
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Today for the first time in eons, I have bought a tin of oxtail soup. It's something I haven't had since the days of 'mad cow disease' in fact did they not stop producing it for a while? It just seems like years since I've seen it. Anyway I bet it's not as good as 'yesterdays braised oxtails, knocked back into a soup for the next day's menu' like we used to do at sea.
Once the cauld weather starts Kev, we have oxtail stew, and next day soup. Only called Jardinaire onboard

Ray
ps looking forward to the visit of the TOON next month
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 29th September 2012, 14:41
kevjacko's Avatar
kevjacko kevjacko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
Once the cauld weather starts Kev, we have oxtail stew, and next day soup. Only called Jardinaire onboard

Ray
ps looking forward to the visit of the TOON next month
I bet you are mate. Hopefully by then we will have hit some sort of form. Nothing I've seen this season has exactly inspired me, one or two good individual performances but nowhere near last seasons efforts. Ben Arfa in particular has been good for us. Your lot though? hmm the jury's still well out from what my Makem colleagues at work tell me.

Off to make 'Toad in the Hole' with lashings of onion gravy now. Trying to curry a bit of favour with Mrs Jacko at the mo, and the best way for me to do that's through her stomach.
__________________
Distant ships carry all men's dreams
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 16th October 2012, 17:20
Dickyboy's Avatar
Dickyboy Dickyboy is online now
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 8,579
"Eggs to Order" Plural not Singular. That was a great treat for me when I came off of the pax boats. Where breakfast was served to the crew mess by the Peggy, me on one ship. All eggs fried at one time and placed on a tray to be carried from the crew galley to the mess. Same with the bacon and whatever else was on offer. Always almost cold by the time it arrived on the plate.
Great to have the eggs done individually, and plated up and passed to you by the 2nd cook. Never dared to ask for anything other than fried or poached eggs though, unless there was something like scrambled on the menu.
Much more civilised eating with better food all round.
I certainly got better food and conditions on good old BP.
As has been said, it was good quality basic food, which was needed in those days of swinging valves, tank washing, fabric maintanence, scavenger cleaning in hot engine rooms and so on. Those really were great days, sigh....
__________________
Good advice is usually ignored, but that's no reason for not giving it. Miss Marple.
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 17th October 2012, 07:49
kevjacko's Avatar
kevjacko kevjacko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
"Eggs to Order" Plural not Singular. That was a great treat for me when I came off of the pax boats. Where breakfast was served to the crew mess by the Peggy, me on one ship. All eggs fried at one time and placed on a tray to be carried from the crew galley to the mess. Same with the bacon and whatever else was on offer. Always almost cold by the time it arrived on the plate.
Great to have the eggs done individually, and plated up and passed to you by the 2nd cook. Never dared to ask for anything other than fried or poached eggs though, unless there was something like scrambled on the menu.
Much more civilised eating with better food all round.
I certainly got better food and conditions on good old BP.
As has been said, it was good quality basic food, which was needed in those days of swinging valves, tank washing, fabric maintanence, scavenger cleaning in hot engine rooms and so on. Those really were great days, sigh....
Yep,

Never had a problem with knocking any sort of eggs up for breakfast until one bright spark of a cadet asked for a small omelette AND a poached egg coz he couldn't make his mind up.

Yep Happy days......
__________________
Distant ships carry all men's dreams
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 17th October 2012, 08:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Yep,

Never had a problem with knocking any sort of eggs up for breakfast until one bright spark of a cadet asked for a small omelette AND a poached egg coz he couldn't make his mind up.

Yep Happy days......
Last DSV before I retired ,mainly American crew,one rigger asked for a fried egg with no yoke.Took a while to work out he wanted the egg fried,with the yoke broken,
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 17th October 2012, 09:41
alan ward alan ward is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,988
Navarine of Lamb,is lamb breast cut into diamond/lozenge shaped pieces and casseroled/ braised with root vegetables.Usually served as an an entree,regular Clan Line dish.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 17th October 2012, 22:25
Lksimcoe Lksimcoe is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
My location
Posts: 558
You gentlemen (loosely used) realize that your food while at sea doesn't sound too bad most of the time.

My Gran, (a Geordie) used to come every summer to Canada. Her way of heating up leftovers, including the meat, was to boil the hell out of it. Do you know how disgusting boiled meat looks? It's a bloody miracle i'm not a vegetarian

And the Navarine of lamb sounds pretty good. I may try it at home
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 7th November 2012, 20:52
Dickyboy's Avatar
Dickyboy Dickyboy is online now
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 8,579
Sauces. I recall some dishes came with home made sauces, but I don't recall and bottled sauces being provided. Good old HP or Heinz Tomato etc. Perhaps my memory is slipping, were they in fact provided?
__________________
Good advice is usually ignored, but that's no reason for not giving it. Miss Marple.
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 8th November 2012, 20:08
kevjacko's Avatar
kevjacko kevjacko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
Sauces. I recall some dishes came with home made sauces, but I don't recall and bottled sauces being provided. Good old HP or Heinz Tomato etc. Perhaps my memory is slipping, were they in fact provided?
They were never good Dickyboy, you used to see Daddies the odd time but the Ketchup was never Heinz I recall, and the Pickle never Branston. Mayo we made ourselves most of the time or used salad cream.
__________________
Distant ships carry all men's dreams
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 8th November 2012, 20:34
oldseamerchant oldseamerchant is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 2005
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 333
Remember 'Brands A1' a good sub for HP
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 9th November 2012, 08:14
chris dalquen chris dalquen is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 2007
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_E View Post
Hello Jim,
The name doesn't sound totally unfamiliar, but which ship and when I couldn't say. My last tanker was the "Hawthorn" which I left in '82 to go to the "Sulair" in the N. Sea. Not really had anything to do with them since '86 and almost totally lost touch apart from a couple of ex BPTC guys who used to work in the Dyce office.
I think I was lucky, never on a bad feeder, though inevitably some were better than others. "Her indoors" can still turn out a mean cheese beano, if required!!
you obviously didnt sail with board of trade Babs
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 10th November 2012, 10:56
Dickyboy's Avatar
Dickyboy Dickyboy is online now
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
They were never good Dickyboy, you used to see Daddies the odd time but the Ketchup was never Heinz I recall, and the Pickle never Branston. Mayo we made ourselves most of the time or used salad cream.
I remember "Epicure" pickles at sea. "Epicure" Silverskin pickled onions. "Epicure" Piccalilli and so on. Not the sauces though. I occasionally see "Epicure" products in specialist food shops, with a huge markup for what I thought at sea was the cheaper option for pickles. Epicure always reminds me of my time at sea when I see their products.
__________________
Good advice is usually ignored, but that's no reason for not giving it. Miss Marple.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 10th November 2012, 17:25
kevjacko's Avatar
kevjacko kevjacko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
I remember "Epicure" pickles at sea. "Epicure" Silverskin pickled onions. "Epicure" Piccalilli and so on. Not the sauces though. I occasionally see "Epicure" products in specialist food shops, with a huge markup for what I thought at sea was the cheaper option for pickles. Epicure always reminds me of my time at sea when I see their products.
Remember powdered mustard Dickyboy?
__________________
Distant ships carry all men's dreams
Reply With Quote
  #541  
Old 10th November 2012, 17:59
Dickyboy's Avatar
Dickyboy Dickyboy is online now
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Remember powdered mustard Dickyboy?
Of the Colmans type? Not really, I'm not a lover of mustard. (Except on Pork Pies) so wouldn't have used it at sea.
Though thinking about it as I type, didn't some dishes come with a "Mustard Sauce"? Ham or something perhaps?
__________________
Good advice is usually ignored, but that's no reason for not giving it. Miss Marple.
Reply With Quote
  #542  
Old 10th November 2012, 19:58
Ron Stringer's Avatar
Ron Stringer Ron Stringer is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
My location
Posts: 6,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Remember powdered mustard Dickyboy?
Still available in UK shops.
__________________
Ron
_____________________________________________

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Reply With Quote
  #543  
Old 15th November 2012, 03:38
IZZY SHAH IZZY SHAH is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1985 - 2000
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Reading this thread brought back lots of memories some not so fond. Served with BP as Engine Cadetfrom 89 and leftas cargo Engineer of the Al Khaznah. Fothers' tab nabs are my best memory. Food was good but limited for me as a veggie. However miss the days badly. Swallowed the anchor in 2000 and now work in a director position. Miss the camadre at sea and the hard work ethic- which is sadly missing in our shore based bretheren
Reply With Quote
  #544  
Old 19th November 2012, 12:35
Dickyboy's Avatar
Dickyboy Dickyboy is online now
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 8,579
Talking about work ethics, and sorry about going off topic, but I came across this recently Izzy. Says it all methinks.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29420_10151110390192816_420456212_n.jpg (45.1 KB, 69 views)
__________________
Good advice is usually ignored, but that's no reason for not giving it. Miss Marple.
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 28th December 2012, 17:48
Geoff_E's Avatar
Geoff_E Geoff_E is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 315
Work (or Chat?) in Progress

I started this thread in December 2006 - surely cheese beanos aren't that fascinating??
__________________
Best Wishes,
Geoff.
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 28th December 2012, 17:51
Satanic Mechanic's Avatar
Satanic Mechanic Satanic Mechanic is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,139
They are along with swiss cheese slices and randomly named curries
__________________
The measure of a life
is a measure of love and respect
So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 29th December 2012, 10:27
derekhore's Avatar
derekhore derekhore is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
My location
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
They are along with swiss cheese slices and randomly named curries
...... and heaven knows how many names for cooked potatoes!
__________________
R 892949
Reply With Quote
  #548  
Old 29th December 2012, 11:25
Dickyboy's Avatar
Dickyboy Dickyboy is online now
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_E View Post
I started this thread in December 2006 - surely cheese beanos aren't that fascinating??
Six years down the line just proves how fascinating cheese beano's and their ilk are.
I remember there were worries about TV style meals being introduced on ships, which would have involved a pre prepared meal being stuck in a an oven for a few minutes by the person who was going to eat it. I wonder if that idea ever caught on, especially now with the advent of Microwave cookers?
I could never imagine eating airline style food for months at a time.
__________________
Good advice is usually ignored, but that's no reason for not giving it. Miss Marple.
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 29th December 2012, 13:53
twogrumpy's Avatar
twogrumpy twogrumpy is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1986
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
Six years down the line just proves how fascinating cheese beano's and their ilk are.
I remember there were worries about TV style meals being introduced on ships, which would have involved a pre prepared meal being stuck in a an oven for a few minutes by the person who was going to eat it. I wonder if that idea ever caught on, especially now with the advent of Microwave cookers?
I could never imagine eating airline style food for months at a time.
Likely have a devastating affect on the old digestive system, could be interesting......

Reply With Quote
  #550  
Old 29th December 2012, 16:43
Dickyboy's Avatar
Dickyboy Dickyboy is online now
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
Likely have a devastating affect on the old digestive system, could be interesting......

Nasty thought, can you imagine a Christmas dinner, nuked by the diner? Remembering to remove the prepacked paper hat, the cracker and the company Christmas card first of course?
__________________
Good advice is usually ignored, but that's no reason for not giving it. Miss Marple.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.