Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 8 - Ships Nostalgia
14:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

User Tag List

Old 20th September 2007, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
John

Charlie Belton was certainly unique, he also had a most charming wife who appears to have been the butt of endless jokes, but by all accounts took them in good part.

I had not realised that he came from that heart of the Maritime World, Wimbledon. - I believe that one of his many brothers was a Captain with Sun Tugs

Regards Mark
Hi Tonga, He lived at Farnham when I sailed 2/o with him on the Queensbury back in 1960's. He was the Master I wrongly named in prev. corres. ref Head! Howard
Old 22nd September 2007, 06:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan mayes View Post
SAMPEP was a Liberty ship managed by Houlder Bros .
The Master was Captain Smail OBE,well deserved - and Chief Officer was Mr Allerton known as Black Jack and aptly so.. To hell with the painting,smother everything in grease..He was a very competent officer and our work was in constantly maintaining the derrick gear as it was in use every day..
My time in the ship was 4th October to 6th December 1945 and we were engaged in returning army tanks and vehicles from Antwerp to Tilbury..
Mid November,a strike by Tilbury dockers caused our ship to be diverted to the Tyne.. Berthed on Newcastle Quay during a heavy rainfall we began topping the derricks..An accident occurred while topping a derrick at No 5 and it resulted in the Bosun losing his left leg...
Liberty ships had badly designed cargo winches with a single lever for hoist and lower and operation of it could easily be misjudged..In this sad incident the rope topping lift was on a drum end and the derrick was being raised ,but when the driver put the lever in the stop position he passed it and went into lower this resulted in the topping lift coming off the drum end and it encircled his leg .As the derrick came down the rope surged around the Bosuns leg and severed it ..
Many shipowners bought Liberty ships after the war and soon replaced the winches..
Arriving in Antwerp 6th December I was taken off the ship to a British Military hospital,I had pleurisy..On 23rd Dec. I discharged myself,stayed overnight in a seamens mission and next morning I went to British army barracks and hitched a lift to Ostend in an army truck..I boarded the ST JULIEN a small troopship,showed the Chief Officer my Discharge Book and told him my story and he took me to the galley and asked the Cook to give me a meal..
I arrived at my home in Grays late Christmas Eve...
SAMPEP with Captain Smail was MT1 ,the Commodore ship of the first convoy ETM1 to arrive at Juno beach head Normandy at 7am 7th June 1944...
Does any member of SN know of Captain Smail's career? I do recall being told he had performed heroic deeds during the sinking of a Houlders ship in WW2...
In 1948 SAMPEP was returned to the US Government and laid up in reserve for 21 years then broken up at Portland in 1961...
Stan Mayes asks what became of Capt Walter Smail.

Part of the story is contained in the very informative book "Furness-Houlder Lines by Norman L Middlemiss(1991).
I quote from the segment covering the second world war.
Speaking of the action of the El Argentino (Capt Freddie Kent0 when she was bombed and sunk, Middelmiss states -
"... one crew member diedin the bombing but the other 77 were rescued - iincluding an engineer called Mallinswho had been torpedoed 8 times in WW 1 and 3 times in WW, two of these in the tanker Imperial Transport. Capt W. Smail was in command of this tanker on the first occasion when she left Scapa Flow for Trinidad on the 20th of February 1940 and she was struck by a torpedo on the following day, breaking in two in less than 5 minutes. All of the officers who were berthed amidships were able to get on the stern half before she broke in two. The crew took to the boats but reboarded the stern half the next day. The engines were restarted and the stern half was steamed head first until some 130 miles w of Cape Wrath. The master and the crew were advised to board a destroyer as a gale was forecast and they were landed at Scapa Flow. The stern half was later towed in and beached at Kilchattan Bay, Bute. A new forepart was built at Greenock and the two halves were joined in the Elderslie Dry Dock.
The Imperial Transport was again torpedoed on 25th March 1942 while on a voyage from the Tyne to Curacao in convoy E of Newfoundland. She took a heavy list to port and appeared to be sinking - all of the crew abandoned the ship and were picked up by a Free French corvette. As the ship did not sink a skeleton crew of 6 together with 8 men from a British corvette reboarded and managed to start auxilliary machinery the next day. The main engine was started and they arrived in St John's on the 29th.
The Imperial transport survived the rest of thewar , was sold to Norwegian interests in 1947 and broken up in 1958

Walter Smail was awarded the OBE as was (I believe) the Chief Engineer Charlie Swanbrough though there is no mention of this in the Middlemiss book.

When I was apprentice in the Duquesa in 1959, Capt Smail was master and Charlie Swanbrough (a cricket nut) was Chief.
I say he was a cricket nut because if you went on watch at 4 in the morning he was up listening to the test match from Australia or wherever and would bound out to meet you and provide a blow by blow descriuption of the game to date complete with score etc. A very nice man.

I believe that Capt Smail retired shortly after this but Ii did see Charlie Swanbrough one last time when I was in an ore carrirer around 1962. He had become a superintendent and visited the ship in Irlam. He also gave my wife a lift to the railweay station. As I said, a very nice man.

Regards John
Old 23rd November 2007, 22:57

Hi Ian

Sailed with Houlders for much of my sea time on Oregis 6/71 to 9/71, Camarina 10/71 to 2/72, Tenbury 3/72 to 8/72, Sagamore 11/72 to 12/72, Clymene 1/73 to 7/73, Westbury 12/73 to 2/74 and Clerk Maxwell 3/74 to 6/74. Memory going a bit nowadays but if I can help I will with info. Cannot supply any photos as scanner knackered.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:52

Sailed as Lecky on the Queensbury 11/65 to 10/66.
Old 10th December 2007, 23:59
Active: 1936 - 1986

Hi John,
Thankyou for your reply to my query regarding Captain W.Smail,I had heard of the incidents concerning IMPERIAL TRANSPORT but unaware of Captain Smails involvement in them..he was well deserving of recognition..
I believe John Dancy of the TURMOIL and FLYING ENTERPRISE saga was Chief Mate of IMPERIAL TRANSPORT during the 1950s.
Regards _ Stan.
Old 11th December 2007, 00:20
user

My location
Stan, I have the Mate of the Turmoil down as a Mr Ken Dancy - he was a Falmouth man; it could be the same person as your John Dancy, but I am not confident.

Mark
Old 16th December 2007, 11:49

Houlders Crew

Was with Houlders from 69 to 83 - Sailed on most of the gas boats - would be great to hear form anyone who can remeber me

We have a reunion i Hull every september

Regards Chris
Old 16th December 2007, 12:17

Hello Chris,

Does Bob Kirby from Hull attend these reunions, sailed with him a couple of times on the gas tankers.

Regards

Ninja.
Old 16th December 2007, 14:15
user

My location
Hello Chris, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, you wil find quite a few Firey Kippers on here; we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage.
Old 18th December 2007, 23:52

Sailed on Avogadro as 1st Mate 23-3 to 28-7/65. under Capt.J.D.H.Glover and Capt.T.W.V.(Tom)Woolcott. The "Fiery Kipper" was then known as "Daphne the Delectable Dolphin". Regards and a very Happy Christmas and peaceful New Year to all Members
Old 19th December 2007, 00:05
user

My location
Norsea, wow, that was in the very early days of the gas boats and a time when one could get away with all sorts of fun (particularly on a Pressure Ship). - I think Daphne is a much nicer title than Kipper
Old 21st December 2007, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
Hello Chris,

Does Bob Kirby from Hull attend these reunions, sailed with him a couple of times on the gas tankers.

Regards

Ninja.
Hi Ninja
Sorry no never bumped into Bob, Ian Wilson, (now departed god bless him)
Jo Wilson, John Clark, Maurice Vitie, Steve Cooper,Steve Jeffrey, Steve Gudgeon, Davy Pike and Mick Bartle to name but a few hpoe this maybe jogs some of the old brain cells
Regards Chris
Old 29th December 2007, 13:22

My location
Alan Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac068 View Post
Hi Tim, only Mate I know from Fleetwood was Derek Brand, he later went into the Offshore side of Houlders, was Master of the HTS Coupler 1 (Oregis) then went on to be Bargemaster on the Kingsnorth Drilling Rigs.
ALSO FROM FLEETWOOD JOHN ROGERS & HARRY FARRAR BOTH WORKED ON THE OREGIS IN THE 70s
Old 31st December 2007, 00:26

My location
Hull reunion

Hello Chris I was surprised to hear that there is a get together in Hull if you can let me know were I can find out where the next social is..would be very interested as I met up with Jo Wilson whilst on the Tees a few years ago and talked of our exploits on the " Black Max"..Also I stopped with Colm Clair in Wexford quite a few years ago he ended up master on the Stena high speed job to Ireland I believe.
I still work with a fair few lads who came up through Houlders and will pass any info through to them...
Old 31st December 2007, 08:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1990

I know Barry Hatfield from Hull who was engineer with Houlder bros. If you let me have the details of the reunions I will pass it on to him. He retired last year as chief on the stand by boats. Cheers Jan.
Old 31st December 2007, 16:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 2000

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
ALSO FROM FLEETWOOD JOHN ROGERS & HARRY FARRAR BOTH WORKED ON THE OREGIS IN THE 70s
By Mate, I meant 1st.Mate, but it is quite true that John Rogers and Harry Farrer, who were ex-Fleetwood fishermen, served as back to back Third Mates on the Oregis in the 70's, up until the day she left the Tyne for the Spanish breakers. Both now desceased unfortunately. Other Fleetwood folk on there, were Stan Baker, Carpenter, and an AB/Roughneck by the name of Green, can't remember his Christian name.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:25

Sailed with Houlders (and then Furness Withy) from Feb 73
until I left the Ironbridge as Chief Officer in Feb 91.Sailed on a good variety of vessels from Edenmore to Stolt boats, Gasboats, Product tankers, Bulkers and Container vessels (and the Barge Longbow firing Sea Wolf missiles- where was the Joule when you needed her!!)
Left to become Assitant Harbourmaster with the Tees & Hartlepool Port Authority (now PD Ports).Recognise quite a few names on this forum and would be good to hear how you are all getting on.As Chris Campbell has mentioned we have a reunion in Hull in September, which started as our Second Mates course reunion and now seems to be more and more like a Houlders get together (must be the beer).
Still in touch with Dick Whistler, Tony Yeates, Lol Ashforth, Phil Newman and Colin Jackson. Joe Wilson and Steve Rathbone are both Pilots on the Tees. Sad to have to report friend and neighbour Dave Dawson (engineer) died four or five years back

Mike Bartle
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:05
user

My location
Mike, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and we will do our best to overlook the fact that you mentioned the other company. I am sure will find plenty of kindred spirits on here. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage
Old 5th January 2008, 20:43
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
screwy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCampbell View Post
Was with Houlders from 69 to 83 - Sailed on most of the gas boats - would be great to hear form anyone who can remeber me

We have a reunion i Hull every september

Regards Chris
Yes chris we remember you first came across you on the Tenbury then the gaz boats then the upwey and finally Abbey , wellcome to the mad world of x salty sea dogs
stuart
Old 11th January 2008, 23:27

Hi Stuart
The old brain cells must be playing you up , Never sailed on the Abbey but you are right about the rest
Chris
Old 12th January 2008, 10:41

My location
Last night I chanced to meet an ex Houlder Master, Capt Eddie Hutchison and I told him of the excellent SN site. Sadly Eddie is not into Computers and cannot partake in your interesting thread. However Eddie did wish me to pass on his kind regards to his friends in Houlders and to say that both he and his wife are alive and well and enjoying life in Aberdeen
JC
Old 12th January 2008, 10:58
user

My location
JC,
Please pass my best to Eddie Hutchison, I remember him as a very decent man indeed and I am delighted to hear that he is well and enjoying life.

Mark
Old 12th January 2008, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Last night I chanced to meet an ex Houlder Master, Capt Eddie Hutchison and I told him of the excellent SN site. Sadly Eddie is not into Computers and cannot partake in your interesting thread. However Eddie did wish me to pass on his kind regards to his friends in Houlders and to say that both he and his wife are alive and well and enjoying life in Aberdeen
JC
Hi John.
If you see Capt. Hutchison again please pass on my regards from someone who did workbys with him on the "Hardwicke Grange" in the 60's.
Regards
Leo Hannan
Old 12th January 2008, 21:44

My location
Tonga and Marinero - will do. I served with Eddie in Caltex and he was a first rate seaman from the Isle of Whalsy in Shetland. He ended his sea career as a respected examiner of Master's and Mates in DOT in Aberdeen.
JC
Old 12th January 2008, 22:33
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Tonga and Marinero - will do. I served with Eddie in Caltex and he was a first rate seaman from the Isle of Whalsy in Shetland. He ended his sea career as a respected examiner of Master's and Mates in DOT in Aberdeen.
JC

JC
Thanks, I remember him as a being from Shetland, but never remembered which Isle; he would have made an outstanding examiner - quiet and very dedicated man, those that came before him would have been well cared for.