windows 10 - Ships Nostalgia
14:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

windows 10

User Tag List

Old 6th January 2016, 20:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - 1969

windows 10

Hello all just "upgraded to 10 " finding it all a bit strange anyone got any thoughts on win. 10?
Old 6th January 2016, 20:51
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Lots ,including losing 2900 photos, that's why I and five mates have reverted to previous 7 or 8.....however other friends have had little problem other than losing their Media programmes.
geoff
Old 6th January 2016, 21:03
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
I have had it since it came out,no problems todate.

The key is to prepare your machine for the download by moving your photos to a portable HD until you feel safe using Win 10.

Last edited by John Rogers; 6th January 2016 at 21:05..
Old 6th January 2016, 21:10
Active: 1963 - 1969

thanks all just "feeling my way around slowly. keep the thoughts coming thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 21:14
King Ratt

My location
I am not happy with it. It dumped most of my photos, all my addresses and various other stuff. Most of this I had backed up to an external hard drive so should be OK. I wish Microsoft would leave things alone. I will never buy another Windows PC.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:32
Active: 1964 - 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
Lots ,including losing 2900 photos, that's why I and five mates have reverted to previous 7 or 8.....however other friends have had little problem other than losing their Media programmes.
geoff
Have stayed with W10 but - many photo's and contacts gained over the years - mail program completely shredded, fortunately bt/yahoo server backup was able to download 5200 messages accumulated over the fairly recent past. Many licensed (and expensive) programmes refused to work - managed to contact various companies to re-authorise crypto keys. Mainly settled down now, but was a drawn out nightmare.

LouisB.
Old 6th January 2016, 22:03
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

The best system by a nautical mile....,faster,cleaner and safer.I,m convinced most of the problems are caused by the user when upgrading.
Tech moves fast these days,as does the software Louis mentions.
Keep persevering with it Bubba 3 and if you have any queries just ask.
Old 6th January 2016, 22:15
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1953 - 1958

My location
What problems do you find if it's a new pc with Windows 10 already installed as the OS? Are things like transferring photos from old pc to new with Windows 10 still a problem?
Old 6th January 2016, 22:53
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Just lately I have my doubts about Mr Microsoft. I have been using PCs since they were first invented, and MS Dos worked fine for me then. But as time went on we went through all sorts of versions of Windows, some of which were quite good and some a disaster. At the moment I have four PCs running for business Windows XP, Vesta, and W7, and I seem to spend much of my time sorting out OS problems. Recently I bought a W10 laptop to replace the XP laptop that I rarely use, and am dismayed that once again Microsoft have changed the whole way in which the OS operates.

Actions that were once routine for me are now hidden away in all sorts of obscure places, and I wonder why Microsoft could not have simply retained the facilities that remained through a series of Windows -- like email accounts on the taskbar along with a preferred web browser? Oh, I now have a touch screen, except that the only things it shows are things I would never touch, so that doesn't help much!

Anyway, three years ago I bought an Apple Mac, which doesn't have a thumping great box under my desk, can take up to 16Gb of memory, and just works faultlessly every time without "blue screens of death" and without needing to be restarted every ten minutes. It has a hard glass screen rather than a delicate TFT one, and it can be easily removed for cleaning, or even polished with a rag and some Fairy liquid.

So now, the Vesta machine is on it's way out and I can't be bothered to try to fix it, and the W7 machine needs a new hard drive. So where to from here? I intend to buy a second Apple Mac and put on it Parallels Desktop as I have on the first one, which works fine as a virtual machine and which allows me to run the CAD software that I need, and it does it faster and with less problems than any PC. So soon, goodbye Bill Gates, hello Steve Jobs!
Old 6th January 2016, 23:13
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
What problems do you find if it's a new pc with Windows 10 already installed as the OS? Are things like transferring photos from old pc to new with Windows 10 still a problem?
Probably not..friend in Canada with 9000 photos reported few problems on his Christmas machine.....

My 'geek' thinks Microsoft are using us all as guinea pigs!

Geoff
Old 7th January 2016, 00:27
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

skip 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART6 View Post
Just lately I have my doubts about Mr Microsoft. I have been using PCs since they were first invented, and MS Dos worked fine for me then. But as time went on we went through all sorts of versions of Windows, some of which were quite good and some a disaster. At the moment I have four PCs running for business Windows XP, Vesta, and W7, and I seem to spend much of my time sorting out OS problems. Recently I bought a W10 laptop to replace the XP laptop that I rarely use, and am dismayed that once again Microsoft have changed the whole way in which the OS operates.

Actions that were once routine for me are now hidden away in all sorts of obscure places, and I wonder why Microsoft could not have simply retained the facilities that remained through a series of Windows -- like email accounts on the taskbar along with a preferred web browser? Oh, I now have a touch screen, except that the only things it shows are things I would never touch, so that doesn't help much!

Anyway, three years ago I bought an Apple Mac, which doesn't have a thumping great box under my desk, can take up to 16Gb of memory, and just works faultlessly every time without "blue screens of death" and without needing to be restarted every ten minutes. It has a hard glass screen rather than a delicate TFT one, and it can be easily removed for cleaning, or even polished with a rag and some Fairy liquid.

So now, the Vesta machine is on it's way out and I can't be bothered to try to fix it, and the W7 machine needs a new hard drive. So where to from here? I intend to buy a second Apple Mac and put on it Parallels Desktop as I have on the first one, which works fine as a virtual machine and which allows me to run the CAD software that I need, and it does it faster and with less problems than any PC. So soon, goodbye Bill Gates, hello Steve Jobs!
You have to get better hardware Art,time marches on and if you keep the old machines you cause yourself a problem.Macs maybe ok for you,as you have discovered,but a desk top is always better if the stuff inside the case is right for the job.
My graphics card is nearly as big as an Apple Mac so no comparison really.
Old 7th January 2016, 00:27
Active: 1958 - 1972

Everything fine except had to replace my media with free VLC media player which does the job - my son did it for me
Old 7th January 2016, 10:34
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Downloaded W10 when it first came out, had no problems, much better than W7.
Old 7th January 2016, 11:48
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
As I needed to update from XP I waited until PC's became available with W10 installed. I have so far found it fine.
Regarding photos - I found all mine had disappeared but by asking Cortana I tracked them down. They had all been moved to - One Drive - up in the clouds I believe. All there and fine. Maybe worth a look there.

Hawkey01
Old 7th January 2016, 12:44

My location
Downloaded it on day1 and everything O.K., and a lot faster. Everything transferred perfectly.
Old 7th January 2016, 13:51

Does it advise you to prepare your machine before pressing the install download button ?. If it does, I must have missed it. And going by all the complaints a lot of people have come a cropper and wished they had not downloaded it. I am on windows 7 and can find no problems with speed and viewing what I want to. I lost my desk top after installing it and threw it in the bin. So I am now staying put with what I have on my lap top.
Old 8th January 2016, 10:41
Active: 1975 - 1991

I downloaded windows 10 last year.Ive had no problems so far, downloaded a upgrade last week,no problems.Its rearly not a lot different from windows 8
Old 8th January 2016, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingham SJ View Post
I downloaded windows 10 last year.Ive had no problems so far, downloaded a upgrade last week,no problems.Its rearly not a lot different from windows 8
Do you have Adblockplus ?
Old 8th January 2016, 15:12
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dryden View Post
You have to get better hardware Art,time marches on and if you keep the old machines you cause yourself a problem.Macs maybe ok for you,as you have discovered,but a desk top is always better if the stuff inside the case is right for the job.
My graphics card is nearly as big as an Apple Mac so no comparison really.
John, over the many years of using computers in business and in leisure I have regularly updated the hardware (which is why I have an attic full of old machines including two Windows 98 ones!). I have kept them because I use them for spare bits when I need them -- for example, power supplies haven't changed much in years so a failed PS could be replaced by a cannibalised one. I also had a large number of old 1.4Mb floppies that I needed to recover historical data from, and a 1.4Mb drive taken from an old machine and installed in a Windows Vista machine allowed me to do that.

When Windows 7 came on the market I bought a new computer running that to replace the Vista machine with no problems (provided that I did not allow Microsoft automatic updates which have been known to screw up computers). I avoided W8 because of the bad reports, and I don't use W10 on either of the PCs I currently use regularly.

The problem, in my experience, is that when Microsoft bring out a new OS then any new hardware one buys comes with that pre-installed. That is OK except that all too often the software one uses is no longer compatible with the OS, and can either only be upgraded at a cost or might not work at all. I don't want to upgrade or replace my range of software, much of which I have tailored to suit my needs, every time a new OS appears.

So my way of doing things lately is to change or upgrade my computers as I need to by replacing components but not upgrading operating systems that will make much of my software redundant.
Old 8th January 2016, 15:57

Sorry for those who had problems. I just installed Windows 10 on my Dell desktop, replacing Windows 7. It was entirely an uneventful experience; yes some new routines to learn in navigating and performing tasks but every former file was intact in exactly where it was previously.
Old 8th January 2016, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingham SJ View Post
If it's not a lot different from MS Windows 8 it's not worth having.

Last edited by zero; 8th January 2016 at 16:23..
Old 8th January 2016, 16:48

It is said by some, including me, that Uncle Bill's OS alternate between usable/stable and rubbish/unstable.
Win 3/NT - Good workhorse and added navigation to the un-bustable DOS.
Win 95 - Introduced us to BSOD....
Win 98 - Better.
Win ME - Rubbish.
Win XP - Best yet.
Win Vista - Pretty awful.
Win 7 - Good replacement for XP.
Win 8 - Dire - MS lost the plot.
Win 10 - Looks good so far but I get the feeling that it is still in beta , and we are the testers.

(The least said about NT4, which didn't even support USB, and 2000 the better.)

Anyone using Win 7 - Win 10 is 'different' but easy to get used to.
Anyone using Win 8 - Get Win10, it is much better and so much easier to use mainly because it goes back to the 'start' button that we have had since Win 3.
Win 10 can even be switched to different 'iterations' to suit the platform you are using it on - desktop, laptop, tablet, touch screen etc.
Win 8 seemed to have been designed for the MS Surface device and was clumsy with anything else.
Old 12th January 2016, 21:46
Active: 1966 - 1983

Windows 10 does not recognise either of my scanners 1) a Cannon and 2.) a HP.

Neither Cannon or HP have provided an updated driver. Each worked well running under Vista (which I liked) and W7 which I also liked.

Two perfectly good machines (total cost near 350) now rendered useless.

WTF does Microsoft need to change systems every few years.

BW

J
Old 12th January 2016, 22:49
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
This is interesting, even though I haven't yet made the move from W7 to W10 - waiting until that last minute so that others have sorted the bugs out for me.

http://now.avg.com/four-quick-windows-10-privacy-fixes/

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 12th January 2016, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Windows 10 does not recognise either of my scanners 1) a Cannon and 2.) a HP.

Neither Cannon or HP have provided an updated driver. Each worked well running under Vista (which I liked) and W7 which I also liked.

Two perfectly good machines (total cost near 350) now rendered useless.

WTF does Microsoft need to change systems every few years.

BW

J
Get yourself a cheap, spare, computer (you might already have one) download Ubuntu Linux on your PC, make an ISO copy on a disc and install it, either fully or trial.
You will find that it just works - and will probably work with your scanners, and all sorts of other kit.
If it does then you will just have to use that PC for those jobs, if it doesn't (it should) then what have you lost?