Bankline 2018 - Ships Nostalgia
21:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Bankline 2018

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 9th January 2018, 17:26
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,437
Bankline 2018

Greetings for 2018 to all ex Bank Line members who still look at this site!

However, it looks like most members have ‘ jumped ship’ to other sites, and must agree there now is quite a choice. For those that are willing to entertain Facebook, try ‘all at Sea’ a very active and entertaining daily shipping page with all embracing posts every day of the week, including some Bank Line ships and of course, memories. - They never fade!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9th January 2018, 23:05
Bankliner Bankliner is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 15
Some of us haven't abandoned ship yet and still drop in now and again to keep up with any new posts although they are becoming fewer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th January 2018, 23:26
John Dryden John Dryden is offline  
user
Active: 1969 - 1973
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,782
Maybe a tale or two wouldn't go adrift now that Alistair has passed over to the dark side and the clock is ticking?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9th January 2018, 23:47
jimthehat's Avatar
jimthehat jimthehat is offline  
ELDER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,034
lets see if we can get a thread going,

Started my apprenticeship on 25/8/52,completed 5/11/56 just 3 ships,

Maplebank,Etivebank and Clydebank,
23 days leave between maple and Etive and 17 days between Etive and Clydebank,
so in 4 years and 3 months I had 40 days ashore on leave, can any Bankliner better that?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10th January 2018, 00:35
BobClay's Avatar
BobClay BobClay is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
My location
Posts: 5,250
As a sparks and therefore not really a Bank Line man, I nevertheless did two trips on Bank Boats. A 13 monther on the Weybank, (it should have been 15 months back then, but we hit Liverpool so they must have figured now's the time to change the crowd, it'll cost less.)
And the Weirbank just relieving while she coasted the UK.
All this is back in the 70's when I worked (on and off) for Marconi.
__________________
"Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10th January 2018, 08:02
duncs duncs is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 451
Elmbank, R/O circa '76. only name I can remember is the skipper, WestWalian Dai Rees.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10th January 2018, 08:33
Engine Serang Engine Serang is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,967
Ah Bankline, the site that keeps giving.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10th January 2018, 10:19
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,437
Apprenticeship

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
lets see if we can get a thread going,

Started my apprenticeship on 25/8/52,completed 5/11/56 just 3 ships,

Maplebank,Etivebank and Clydebank,
23 days leave between maple and Etive and 17 days between Etive and Clydebank,
so in 4 years and 3 months I had 40 days ashore on leave, can any Bankliner better that?
Quite a record . I can go the other way with 5 ships on my first trip away. - Forthbank, Hazelbank, Eastbank, Inchanga, Westbank, returning home after 2 years. Then a long leave spell which had accumulated. Never had the idea to ask for an early return, but often wanted to get back to sea which felt more like home to me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10th January 2018, 23:29
Aberdonian Aberdonian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,179
During my apprenticeship 1954 – 58 I was lucky in having two UK shore leaves totalling 97 days in all. Ships were:

Cedarbank, transferred 16 Apr 1955 in Calcutta to Fleetbank
Laganbank
Foylebank, transferred 01 Jul 1957 in Colombo to Tielbank

Always relieved to get back to sea in those days!

Keith
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11th January 2018, 10:41
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,437
Liberty ships - Bank Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
During my apprenticeship 1954 – 58 I was lucky in having two UK shore leaves totalling 97 days in all. Ships were:

Cedarbank, transferred 16 Apr 1955 in Calcutta to Fleetbank
Laganbank
Foylebank, transferred 01 Jul 1957 in Colombo to Tielbank

Always relieved to get back to sea in those days!

Keith
Hallo Keith and all best wishes for 2018

Noticed your reference to the Tielbank in 1957, and realised you were on a Bank Line Liberty Ship, presumably with a so called ‘ white crew’. There must be a tale or two there, judging from my own and Jim Ferrier’s experience on the Maplebank. There was never a dull moment, and I often wonder what the other Liberty Ship Voyages were like?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11th January 2018, 13:24
Aberdonian Aberdonian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,179
I wish you a Happy and Prosperous 2018 Alan - and to all at SN.

The Tielbank had already converted to Indian crew when I joined her as acting Third Mate. The officers had been out a full year so I shared the second year of the voyage before being flown home from Houston - Eastern Airline to New York then PanAm to London via Gander. My seatime was complete for sitting Second Mates.

Keith
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12th January 2018, 10:13
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,437
Liberty ship crews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
I wish you a Happy and Prosperous 2018 Alan - and to all at SN.

The Tielbank had already converted to Indian crew when I joined her as acting Third Mate. The officers had been out a full year so I shared the second year of the voyage before being flown home from Houston - Eastern Airline to New York then PanAm to London via Gander. My seatime was complete for sitting Second Mates.

Keith
Mass desertions and regular drunkenness in port probably caused the change over to more stable Indian crews. I think the 1955 Maplebank trip was the last with a Liverpool crew. Still miss the humour!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12th January 2018, 19:10
Aberdonian Aberdonian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,179
Engineers may scoff but it was the thunderous clatter of 10 steam winches, especially loud when inside the accommodation, that impacted on me when first aboard the Liberty ship Tielbank in Calcutta. In my previous ships electric winches had been relatively quiet.

I remember there was particular concern to keep the boat deck clear of shore labour for our use in Calcutta heat. There was only a small bulkhead fan for cooling each cabin so several lads chose to sleep in hammocks out on deck. To discourage labour from gaining access, both steel ladders were unshipped from the after end of the boat deck with gaps in the rails roped off.

These minor quibbles apart, the Liberties were well appointed, comfortable ships to sail in. The absence of refinements like radar and gyro compass made navigation all the more interesting.

Keith
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14th January 2018, 13:41
DURANGO DURANGO is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dryden View Post
Maybe a tale or two wouldn't go adrift now that Alistair has passed over to the dark side and the clock is ticking?
Although I am not a bankliner I still read the many interesting yarns and for all that we where all merchant seaman and we all have a story to tell of great ships of a great era that will never come back I wear a small red ensign badge on my jacket hoping to bump into another old seaman from those golden days , I long ago gave up hoping to meet someone that I sailed with I lke to think that we are all shipmates because as time goes by we get to be fewer best regards to all hands Dave .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14th January 2018, 16:13
lakercapt lakercapt is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
My location
Posts: 2,666
As a Ropner apprentice and a spell in the Baron boats it is no fiction about the antics of the crew when reaching the Aussie and N.Z. coasts. I thiink on the original crew of the first ship only a few "white" crew were on board when signing off after over two years. As we had Arab firemen and donkeymen they never were of a concern. On the Baron boats it was the same every trip and it did include the master I am sad to say, until one trip the mates and apprentices did not accept it any longer and the ship had to stay alongside until it was sorted out. Big panic!
Yes these days did have lots going for them but maybe we tend to forget some things and view it through rose coloured glasses!!!
Water rationing, poor food no A/C radar or iron mike steam winches clanking night and day and bilge diving to name a few.

Last edited by lakercapt; 14th January 2018 at 16:14.. Reason: spellng
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15th January 2018, 12:16
RayL RayL is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
Although I am not a bankliner I still read the many interesting yarns and for all that we where all merchant seaman and we all have a story to tell of great ships of a great era that will never come back I wear a small red ensign badge on my jacket hoping to bump into another old seaman from those golden days , I long ago gave up hoping to meet someone that I sailed with I lke to think that we are all shipmates because as time goes by we get to be fewer best regards to all hands Dave .
A lovely post. I feel much the same. My sea career as Marconi R/O was short, but the adventures I had are unforgettable. Here's a little memory: we'd been warned at college not to get into arguments at sea, but I broke that rule twice - firstly when the 3/O tied bunting round the radar scanner and blew the system, and secondly when the Mate failed to warn his painting gang that the Bellini-Tosi direction-finder loops above the bridge were sacrosanct and should be omitted (the two loops are separate, and painting short-circuits them).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17th January 2018, 23:45
jimthehat's Avatar
jimthehat jimthehat is offline  
ELDER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,034
Did a few trips to Calcutta as 2/0 and spent a few hours mooring up to the Bore moorings,I was just wondering ,just how long did we spend down aft waiting for the cables to come from fwd and just how long were actually on stations from start to completion of mooring,
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 18th January 2018, 00:00
John Dryden John Dryden is offline  
user
Active: 1969 - 1973
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,782
Took most of the day to get lashed up to those buoys,a bit less to let go of them and seemed like ages longer to get in the dock.Once we had to go back in the river and do it all again for a day or two.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18th January 2018, 17:47
Clifford Cocker Clifford Cocker is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 114
Bank Line

ell done Alan for keeping us going for many years, I joined Bank Line when rejoining seagoing after 14 years ashore, after my medical etc. i went to the Federation Office and was offered in alphabetical order, Andrew Weir and Bank Line. I had heard of their reputation during my previous sea time but thought I would give it a go.
No regrets, I met a few people I really wouldn't invite home but thoroughly enjoyed the company of most.
As an Engineer we didn't have all the modern bits and pieces but we carried on to use our experiences of sights, sounds and smells to diagnose problems and then put them right.
Let us try and keep the memories going until the day comes when we have all met the grim reaper.
I had a reminder over Christmas by my granddaughter when she said
"Granddad, do you realise that in 2 years time you will be 90"
Cliff Cocker
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18th January 2018, 19:40
China hand China hand is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2007
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
My location
Posts: 2,425
We had a thread going a couple of years back about Hooghli moorings. Must be back there somewhere.
__________________
Besaanschoot an
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 18th January 2018, 20:06
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,437
Bank Line ‘pull’

The Bank Line ships and service had a certain something, I believe. There was a hint of masochism in it. Not sure if anyone would agree with this? This was always evident when forced to defend the choice of company during time spent taking tickets, and the other lads would question why the hell I stayed with Bank Line. Getting paid to study played its part, but the truth is I was personally never tempted to stray until finally leaving to be ashore - well, the ferries, which was the same thing.

Before the smarter new vessels came along, joining the old fleet vessels, many built in the 20’s and 30’s was a special moment for me. The smell of oil and steam; the clanking steam winches; even the familiar hand bell rung for meal times, tiny cabins and the chaos on deck etc. All added up to a comfortable feeling of belonging....

Strange, but true.

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 18th January 2018 at 20:16..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19th January 2018, 15:54
Aberdonian Aberdonian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,179
Bank Line was recommended to me by my mother’s brother Alex; he had begun an apprenticeship as a 16 year old in 1940 and later sailed Third Mate with that company. One of his early ships was the MV Lossiebank, built 1930.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alex McK Ellington. Lossiebank. 1940s.jpg (176.5 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 19th January 2018, 16:23
Waighty's Avatar
Waighty Waighty is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Greetings for 2018 to all ex Bank Line members who still look at this site!

However, it looks like most members have ‘ jumped ship’ to other sites, and must agree there now is quite a choice. For those that are willing to entertain Facebook, try ‘all at Sea’ a very active and entertaining daily shipping page with all embracing posts every day of the week, including some Bank Line ships and of course, memories. - They never fade!
Not on Facebook so staying loyal to SN and BLN!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 20th January 2018, 13:07
DURANGO DURANGO is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
Bank Line was recommended to me by my mother’s brother Alex; he had begun an apprenticeship as a 16 year old in 1940 and later sailed Third Mate with that company. One of his early ships was the MV Lossiebank, built 1930.

Keith
Keith those are derrick's I take it, they look like box girders or have I got that wrong thanks for posting the picture best regards Dave .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20th January 2018, 13:27
ianian ianian is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
The Bank Line ships and service had a certain something, I believe. There was a hint of masochism in it. Not sure if anyone would agree with this? This was always evident when forced to defend the choice of company during time spent taking tickets, and the other lads would question why the hell I stayed with Bank Line. Getting paid to study played its part, but the truth is I was personally never tempted to stray until finally leaving to be ashore - well, the ferries, which was the same thing.

Before the smarter new vessels came along, joining the old fleet vessels, many built in the 20’s and 30’s was a special moment for me. The smell of oil and steam; the clanking steam winches; even the familiar hand bell rung for meal times, tiny cabins and the chaos on deck etc. All added up to a comfortable feeling of belonging....

Strange, but true.
I have been laughing Alan , you must have been a masochist the way you were talking about the old vessels, I can't really believe you look back on that with nostalgia.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bankline in the 50's.... Alan Rawlinson Bank Line 763 12th October 2019 15:55
ex. Bankline kingperekule Bank Line 1 25th July 2016 23:49
Why Bankline? Alan Rawlinson Bank Line 41 20th November 2013 22:43
bankline mcdonoughk1 Say Hello 5 24th August 2012 06:10
ex Bankline Morrisje Say Hello 8 2nd May 2008 12:12



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.