New member greetings - Ships Nostalgia
22:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

New member greetings

User Tag List

Old 18th August 2019, 17:25

New member greetings

Hi, thanks for letting me join your forum.
I have been a photographer since the age of ten. Born and bred in Kingston Upon Hull. Was out of work for almost ten years back in the mid eighties through illness but tried to get out most days with my camera. My favourite place to go were the docks in Hull. Over a ten year period I have amassed hundreds of images of ships coming and going on the Humber and those berthed in king George and Albert & William Wright docks.
I hope to share these images on this site and hope they prove useful to some people. Images have been watermarked with the name 'Hull & Humber Shipping Archive' but happy to share if permission is sought.
I also have a minutes book from the Humber Conservancy Board for the year 1963 which lists various items about ship movements and the annual wage for the Humber Pilots. I will scan some of this and post to this site, it makes interesting reading.
Old 18th August 2019, 17:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Welcome aboard, I'm sure there are plenty of us who look forward to your pictures. Have you any of Hanson and ARC Dredgers?
Old 18th August 2019, 18:17

Smile

Thanks AlbieR,
I do have some dredger images but until I source and look at them I cannot tell you the names and company they are. I have recently scanned about 400 images and the same number of negatives to my hard drive but as yet they are in particular order, this is my next job!
I will look for the dredger images and post as soon as I can
Old 18th August 2019, 19:45
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Hi,
Thanks fo the reply I am looking for photos of Arco Dredgers or Civil & Marine
Forgot to say, enjoy the site it is a goldmine of information!

Last edited by AlbieR; 18th August 2019 at 19:51..
Old 18th August 2019, 20:19

My location
You'll bring riches to the gallery. Welcome, sir. (i paid off a collier in Hull in 1956).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymehearties View Post
Hi, thanks for letting me join your forum.
I have been a photographer since the age of ten. Born and bred in Kingston Upon Hull. Was out of work for almost ten years back in the mid eighties through illness but tried to get out most days with my camera. My favourite place to go were the docks in Hull. Over a ten year period I have amassed hundreds of images of ships coming and going on the Humber and those berthed in king George and Albert & William Wright docks.
I hope to share these images on this site and hope they prove useful to some people. Images have been watermarked with the name 'Hull & Humber Shipping Archive' but happy to share if permission is sought.
I also have a minutes book from the Humber Conservancy Board for the year 1963 which lists various items about ship movements and the annual wage for the Humber Pilots. I will scan some of this and post to this site, it makes interesting reading.
Old 1st September 2019, 23:39
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1976

Smile Hull,.. St Andrews Dock,... RNMDSF

Hi,..I spent some time working on the Trawlers,.. ended up on the Stern Trawler mv Orsino when she was conscripted by HMG to be fulIy kitted out for a 5 month patrol as a Hospital / Weather / Support vessel for the UK fishing fleet at Iceland. (3 trawlers went down the previous winter, with loss of 59 hands ): I "lived" in the Mission in Goulton Street, between trips....I still watch a documentary, "Hull's Headscarf Heroes"... still find it moving. Shows it the Way it was, Warts and all...maybe you didn't photograph anything in St Andrews?.. Im always looking out for pics of vessels I was on,...sad person that I am
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:05

Welcome aboard and enjoy. Long shot I know but the only photo missing from the ships I served on is the Hull sidewinder trawler 'Swanland' H402, she was built in 1914 and I sailed on her in 1951/52

If you do come across one I will gladly reimburse any expenses you may incur
Old 2nd September 2019, 17:19

William Waters and Fairy Hill

I have just found your site as I am researching my family links with the Waters/Oag families in Wick. I noticed someone in 2012 also looking for info on the fishing boat called Fairy Hill which was owned by my Grt Grandfather from 1914-29. This person will be a cousin of my Dad. Any help gratefully appreciated in my search. I do have a couple of photographs which I will put on your site.
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:41
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1976

Don't recall the Swanland,... a bit before My time I think:.. The nearest similar "name" was the Swanella,.. owned by the Marrs Bros. I sailed on the Brucella,.. a sidewinder, (Marrs), for a hellish Christmas trip, up to SE Iceland... The memory forever burned in my brain,..lol
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:28

Hello

Hi, and thanks for letting me join this group.
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:32
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

And a belated welcome to Ships Nostalgia!
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:43

Thanks Art
Old 2nd September 2019, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB87 View Post
Don't recall the Swanland,... a bit before My time I think:.. The nearest similar "name" was the Swanella,.. owned by the Marrs Bros. I sailed on the Brucella,.. a sidewinder, (Marrs), for a hellish Christmas trip, up to SE Iceland... The memory forever burned in my brain,..lol
I know the Swanella, if I remember she was a diesel, the 'Swanland' was coal fired steamer, built 1914, went thro WWI and WWII as a minesweeper, scrapped around 1958, so as said only a long shot and living in hope! Trawling experiences in Icelandic waters and Bear Island are not easily forgotten
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:33
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1971 - Present

Welcome to the site. I did the first two years of my Engineering training in Hull at the Queen's Gardens college. Was in digs off Anlaby Road, and my landlady had previously been landlady of the Star of the West pub. Great times.