Denby Grange 1958-1973 - Ships Nostalgia
06:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Denby Grange 1958-1973

User Tag List

Old 15th November 2006, 16:12
user

My location
Denby Grange 1958-1973

The second ship the bear the name, this tanker was built in 1958 and like all the tankers and ore-carriers in the Houlder fleet at that time, traded under a long term time-charter rather than on the spot market; ending up with Stolt-Nielsen and being re-named Stolt Grange before finally being sold in 1973, re-named Stolt Puma and in 1976 sold and re-named Puma. Broken up in the same year. As a clean oil ship, she spent some of her time supplying aviation spirit to the Americans during the Vietnam War.

AJ Hawkins has kindly posted a useful image: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...6/limit/recent

Last edited by non descript; 15th November 2006 at 16:15..
Old 16th November 2006, 14:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Denby Grange

I sailed on the Denby Grange in 1967 as a Deck Apprentice. I joined her in drydock in the Tyne (picture in Gallery) which gave both apprentices a chance to get up to speed on "the line" and associated valves.

Loaded mogas in Milford Haven for Copenhagen then out to Ras Tunara under charter to Caltex where we loaded about eight different grades at a time mostly for the Far East but occaisionally Europe. The apprentices took on the carpenters responsibilities as that position had just been removed from the crew list. Lots of good memories. Singapore for Saigon, Bangkok and Hong Kong. Loading turpentine in Vishakhapatnam for Calcutta and Madras (no bond on that coast)!!

Stood by the Athel Laird off Fratelli Rocks. She had broken down and was dragging her way ashore. The attached Thumbnail shows a line being floated down to the Denby Grange on a lifebuoy and a large Teepool tin. We were unable to recover the line but shortly after a tug came out from Tunis and took the Laird in tow.

If my memory serves me right, Captain Jackson was the Master; Mike Caine(?) C/O; David Enever 2/0 and Dave Ley 3/0. The pumpman was Frank Nell a real character. Usually, crews on the Denby Grange could expect to be out for a long trip (10 months +) but Houlders surprised us all by flying us home from the Gulf after six months.

The other Thumbnail shows some of the crew (celebating the 5/E's bogus Saigon Star) taken alongside in Saigon.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Athel Laird.jpg (47.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Crew Denby.jpg (97.7 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Nova Scotian; 16th November 2006 at 14:13..
Old 25th April 2010, 13:54

Denby Grange

I can recommend a book called "On the Bridge - a Story of King Billy" written by Bill George (the bosun) about an 11 month trip during 1965/1966, on the Denby Grange. (Cunningly disguised as Derby Grange). published by Seaman Publications. Excellent characterisation, sometimes very funny. Thoroughly recommended. I would be interested if there are SN members who were on that voyage and can confirm the authenticity of the anecdotes!
Old 25th April 2010, 19:19
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

[QUOTE=Old Cunarder;421082]I can recommend a book called "On the Bridge - a Story of King Billy" written by Bill George (the bosun) about an 11 month trip during 1965/1966, on the Denby Grange. (Cunningly disguised as Derby Grange). published by Seaman Publications. Excellent characterisation, sometimes very funny. Thoroughly recommended. I would be interested if there are SN members who were on that voyage and can confirm the authenticity of the anecdotes![/QUOTE

I must have joined the Denby Grange at the end of that voyage. She was in the Tyne in drydock and I joined her in October of 1966. The only person I can recall rejoining the ship from the previous trip was Frank Nell, the Pumpman, and that wasn't for the full voyage.
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:51
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1967 - 1977

l brought the book after seeing the information as l was a catering boy on the denby joining in Bharain late 1967 till june 68 and we did 2 runs to the far east, 1 down under and then over to the states before flying home. I think the same Captain was on as was in the book and it was one of the happiest ships l was on in my 10 years a sea.