Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 38 - Ships Nostalgia
09:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

User Tag List

Old 28th January 2014, 23:55

I thought the name C.G.Wells sounded familiar,so, trawling some of my Houlders memorabilia I unearthed a Watchkeeping Certificate for a voyage as 3rd.Mate in s.s.Holmbury with Captain Wells from 22/2/60 to 20/6/60.Angus Davidson
Old 29th January 2014, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
I thought the name C.G.Wells sounded familiar,so, trawling some of my Houlders memorabilia I unearthed a Watchkeeping Certificate for a voyage as 3rd.Mate in s.s.Holmbury with Captain Wells from 22/2/60 to 20/6/60.Angus Davidson
Thank you so much for that info Angus ... slowly but surely we are filling in the gaps! We have been surprised and so pleased at the number of people who have recollections of Father. It was a good day when we found this forum!
Mary Wells
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1945 - 1985

Charlie Wells

A little more information for you I remember Charlie well both as friend and shipmate We sailed together for fifteen months sixty three years ago on the Dunster Grange he was Chief Officer I was a first trip third mate. After our last voyage the Dunster was sold to a Finnish company and renamed Vassa
From 1961 when I came ashore as Cargo Superintendent I would meet Charlie when his ship loaded in UK right up to his retirement.

Derek Smith.
Old 19th February 2014, 21:39

London Monday

Passing 53 Leadenhall Street--went inside and asked front desk if any "Furness Withy or Houlder offices?" "Yes sir--long time ago" Ancient history.
Went on down Minories and see London School of Navigation is "under demolition"!
Old 31st May 2014, 18:17

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Norman View Post
Anyone around from Houlders, would be great to hear how you are doing.
I wonder if there are lists of apprentices 1959-63 .
My discharge book being an apprentice was not stamped.
I served on the Duquessa, Newbury, Shaftesbury & Oregis.
Thanks.
David Menzies
Old 31st May 2014, 19:01
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Menzies View Post
Thanks.
David Menzies
I used to know a David and Robert Menzies from Findochty. Are you the same one?
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:37

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Menzies View Post
Thanks.
David Menzies
Houlders used to print out crew lists and send them round to their ships, someone out there might have some, the ones I have only go back to the 70,s Alan.
Old 28th June 2014, 22:00

Question ss kingsbury

My name Terry bayley. Ex AB
I a m new to all this, i thought i would have a go. It would be interesting if anyone out there would remember the SS Kingsbury--Houlder brothers.? I joined her in liverpool 12 dec.1959 and the trip was to south america-montevideo first port then on buenos aires at the time there was political unrest so our stay was a bit longer. I will just ad our deck cargo Pigs--Horse,s. what a trip that was. And i left her and discharge 25 april 1960.
Old 4th July 2014, 16:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry bayley View Post
My name Terry bayley. Ex AB
I a m new to all this, i thought i would have a go. It would be interesting if anyone out there would remember the SS Kingsbury--Houlder brothers.? I joined her in liverpool 12 dec.1959 and the trip was to south america-montevideo first port then on buenos aires at the time there was political unrest so our stay was a bit longer. I will just ad our deck cargo Pigs--Horse,s. what a trip that was. And i left her and discharge 25 april 1960.
Hi Terry, I don,t remember the Kingsbury, slightly before my time, here a few facts....She was built as the Samlamu in Bethlehem Baltimore 1944 acquired by the Alexander Shipping Co, in 1947 and sold in 1960 grt 7246 and finally broken up in 1982. Alan.
Old 5th July 2014, 00:05
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
houlder Brothers crews and ships

Certainly do remember the old Kingsbury. I recall being in BA at the same time. I think that was probably just prior to her sale.
Old 9th July 2014, 23:56
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Seabridge Consortium

If anybody is interested there is an article on the SEABRIDGE CONSORTIUM in the August edition of "Shipping Today And Yesterday" the FB, Orenda & Orotava (Ripon Grange) are all mentioned.

Stuart
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:31
Active: 1970 - 1978

Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey!marconi View Post
hello everyone, Wonderful nostagic site.
Been reading everything from 2005 onwards! Thus ref #218 from Marinejocky, I am the R/O Ralph and still with my dear wife Linda. I did not know the buzzer was fixed, 10 points deducted!!!
I was looking for our very good friend Ian Hardie ( Capt) lost touch since 1982-ish.But now we have found this forum the memories come flooding back, not necessarily in complete focus.
So...where are you all...Oretava hellish atlantic crossings Xmas 1974, Standing by Sir Alex Glen Mar 1975, Then at last Cavendish Apr 1975-Dec 76, Faraday 1977 ,Lord kelvin Stand by building and maiden voyage.
As reiterated by so many, there can be no more happy family than Houlders, From John Houlder himself downwards, the happiest seadays in my 45 years career.
Hi Ralph. I was second E stood by building Lord Kelvin Marina de Carrara and did the maiden voyage for a month or two before parting the waves and going ashore Remember Ian well but no knowledge of whereabouts.
Old 1st November 2014, 17:09
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1975 - 1998

Hi,
just joined in after a random search on the web.
I was at SSMTC 75-78 as a Houlders radio cadet, and also sailed on various ships and 'tubs' with FWS then OOCL before being made redundant in '98.
Anyone out there know/sailed with me?
In no particular order Hornby/Oswestry/Upwey/Lynton/Dunster Granges, Abbey, Clymene, Faraday, Lord Kelvin, Atlantic Splendour (OMG!), Canadian Explorer, Dunedin, Dart Atlantic/OOCL Challenge/Honour/Assurance/Freedom/Frontier etc etc
Frank Fletcher
Old 2nd November 2014, 02:31

Notinla

On about Houlders you are right. I sailed on Brandon Priory Nov "61
til Sept "62. Started off Cat/boy then promoted to A/S. We had a Chinese laundryman and his name was Lee Sang, he was given Rations off the Cook and used to cook all his own meals in his Cabin. I used to go and visit him on the pretext that we would teach each other our native tongues. This never happened I just enjoyed his cooking, though maybe picked up a few words. We had a great Swimming Pool but nearly lost the use of it as the Galley boy wanted to do a Belly plop from the Funnel. He soon changed his mind when told what would happen.
I also seem to remember there being a Ping -pong table on board and
me and this other Steward (forget his name)spending hours on it. The balls got really dented and we tried to suck the dents out with our mouths. I was never able to win as when it was the final points I used to start laughing and miss the table. It was a great Ship with a Great Skipper and Crew but we had to pay off in Rotterdam though we all wanted to stay on.
Old 4th November 2014, 01:53

frank are you a photographer as a hobby
Old 4th November 2014, 09:53

Rob,
Used to take loads of photos when at sea but don't do a lot now - just holiday stuff really.
Old 4th November 2014, 23:50

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-sparx View Post
Hi,
just joined in after a random search on the web.
I was at SSMTC 75-78 as a Houlders radio cadet, and also sailed on various ships and 'tubs' with FWS then OOCL before being made redundant in '98.
Anyone out there know/sailed with me?
In no particular order Hornby/Oswestry/Upwey/Lynton/Dunster Granges, Abbey, Clymene, Faraday, Lord Kelvin, Atlantic Splendour (OMG!), Canadian Explorer, Dunedin, Dart Atlantic/OOCL Challenge/Honour/Assurance/Freedom/Frontier etc etc
Frank Fletcher
Hi Frank
Left Clymene 5/11/79 13 days before daughter born, also now got grandsons 7th birthday on 16th,
2 points about First trip on Clymene Taking over from the kermits and going thro the same storm as the Fatal fasnet yatch race, which we knew about 3 days before. Also did a dry docking on Clymene in 1984 at South Shields
regards
stuart
Old 6th November 2014, 10:22

Stuart,

Also paid off Clymene 5th Nov '79 in Deptford. Hired a car to drive home and had the pleasure of oiks throwing fireworks at the car as I tried to navigate out of London......
Do you remember the 3/O who shot himself with the condemned line-throwing gear and we had to put into Algeciras to swap 3/O's?

Frank
Old 7th November 2014, 22:16

I was on the Clymene at that time, I was galley boy and the cook was some nutter who kept a pushbike on board. Back and forth to Port Alfred with paper rolls unloading at Convoys Warf in Deptford. A lively run ashore if I remember correctly.
Old 8th November 2014, 11:12

Nick,
The Canadian end wasn't a bad run ashore either - Chicoutimi on a good day was OK. Can't remember the cook but nutters at sea seem to go hand in hand....?
Frank
Old 17th November 2014, 17:20

My location
[QUOTE=William Clark8;1126538]On about Houlders you are right. I sailed on Brandon Priory Nov "61
til Sept "62. Started off Cat/boy then promoted to A/S. We had a Chinese laundryman and his name was Lee Sang, he was given Rations off the Cook and used to cook all his own meals in his Cabin. I
Confession time, I sailed with Lee Sang a couple of times on the Joya Mc Cance and Cerinthus, He lent me a Chinese cookery book as my Chinese cooking was not up to much, with his tutoring and his book I,m glad to say I improved obviously not up to Lee,s standard though. Now I have to admit I,ve still got the book he lent me in 1969!! sorry Lee.
Old 17th November 2014, 18:41

My only experience of Houlder brothers was as a sparks when i took the Ocean Transport from the Clyde to the Tyne in May 1970.
Old 26th November 2014, 14:09
Active: 1961 - 1974

My first ship as 2 Rad/op was Brandon Priory six months 1962/1963. Mainly back and forth the Gulf to Aden. The old man was Capt D Parkin. I think the Ch/Off was Luff and 1st/Off Harrington 2nd Tim Yeo x2nd Gisawski.

I was with Marconi and again sent to another Houlder ship in 1963, smaller tanker and better run, Atlantic ports, co-incidentally Capt Parkin again in command and I don't think he was very pleased to see me being a very young and inexperienced RO and now on my own. To make matters worse the 3rd mate Dave Stone, for a prank, lined the Radio Room desk with many used beer cans and piled up ash trays. Did I have lecture the next day re drinking on watch. Never split on him though (boarding school training). I got my own back on him later though!

Another incident in Trinadad when he and I and others were arrested in a bar somewhere in the jungle after a brawl. It hit the News of the World after a court case in UK, with the headlines 'Modern Captain Bligh on high seas'. But that's another story.
I read Capt Parkin has 'crossed the bar' now he was a good man and at the time the youngest of Masters at 32, he came from Yorkshire. Memories in the Radio Room of Sparks 'get the BBC news tuned in' during the Cuban missile crisis when one didn't know if the Russian ships would turn back (1962).
Old 26th November 2014, 14:15
Active: 1961 - 1974

Re my previous post 'Modern Bligh' was not of course referring to Capt Parkin it was the 3rd/Off.
Old 26th November 2014, 16:50

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-sparx View Post
Stuart,

Also paid off Clymene 5th Nov '79 in Deptford. Hired a car to drive home and had the pleasure of oiks throwing fireworks at the car as I tried to navigate out of London......
Do you remember the 3/O who shot himself with the condemned line-throwing gear and we had to put into Algeciras to swap 3/O's?

Frank
can't remember who he was but do remember 3/0 who took over
Paul Marshall and girl friend Sara as they came and stayed with us for a couple of days. Also sailed with Paul on the Ripon Grange.

Stuart