Booth Line - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
14:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Booth Line

User Tag List

Old 21st July 2013, 14:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1961 - 1976

John T,

I only served onboard the Hubert for two years and in that time I believe that Jack Jordan was the Chief Steward.
The Pursers dept was Alfie Boyce, Purser - Glyn Rowlands, Snr Asst Purser and myself as Junior Asst Purser, I joined at 18 years of age and left at 20. I had been transferred from Blue Star Line (Argentina Star) as the Hubert urgently required an Asst Purser.
I did have a nickname on the Huber which was "Freddie'.
I actually did one voyage with LOF on the London Valour and left around a week to 10 days prior to the disaster.
Old 21st July 2013, 15:03

Thanks for that Ysgolfach. Think they both worked on the cargo ships, both great characters.

The "London Valour" tragedy was before my time with the company but it has come to mind lately with the Costa Concordia trials beginning. I met the 2nd Mate from the Valour, a Cardiff lad, and he was the "last man standing", so to speak, and, as far as the Italian authorities were concerned, it was down to him! Luckily he'd left the country by then, but he couldn't return to Italy because he'd have been thrown in prison. If more folk had died, the Italians would have worked their way down the crewlist to find someone to pin it on.

Thanks again and welcome to SN.

John T
Old 5th November 2013, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysgolfach View Post
Joined the RMS Hubert as Assistant Purser at Princess Dock in November 1962, served onboard until transferred to Austasia Line as Malaysia.
Captain was Commodore Jackson Wayman, Purser was Alfie Boyce and see to remember that the Chief Engineer was Sam Inch.
Was the chief steward JACK JORDAN, I am his son
Old 5th November 2013, 23:20
Department: Purser
Active: 1961 - 1976

RMS Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordan View Post
Was the chief steward JACK JORDAN, I am his son
Yes, Jack Jordan was the Chief Steward. He was with us to the end of the 'Hubert' when she was renamed the Austasia on the Australia/Singapore run, this was towards the end of 1964.
Old 23rd November 2013, 17:26
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1979

My location
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foca View Post
"The last one a Taffy"..that's me Lloyd Hughes. I remember you and all those girl friends you had in Manaus!!!! The mate was called Martin he had a nasty motor bike accident later, which left him in a bad way.
Nice chap "Gentle Giant". Chief Steward was called Willy, otherwise known as "One Egg Willy"...2nd Mate Tom Morgan(The Welsh Yank) and on the last trip I did I think the Third Mate was an Egyptian guy called Nadir.
Less of the Manaus details please, havn't been here on this site for a while Skip. But fond memories of that trip, would loved to have stayed longer. Took a month or two to straighten out after leaving from New York in Jan 74. Did another couple of trips with Marconi then left for Buries Markes. After getting married, left the navy side and went to Portishead, saw the writing on the wall there and left in '84 worked for the government thereafter. The times on the Cuthbert and her bloody radar (I often remember being upto my ankles in water in the pump room back of the bridge working on live radar equipment) are way and above the best of my times in the Merch and yes I do have many many fond memories of those times - take care
Old 11th February 2014, 10:41
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1997

Nice to hear from you......I too have many fond memories of the Amazon, more or less left in the early seventies and transferred to the Lamport and Holt run Rio, BA, Montevideo run, until we were taken over by Blue Star Ship Management.
Made redundant in 1982, Worked in the Gulf for a while, then a spell on the coast with Arklow Shipping until I took over command of the Research Vessel for UCNW and I was there till I retired in 1997.
Old 15th February 2014, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffj View Post
.I worked for Maggie Booth back in the early 1960's
Worked as 3rd then 2nd Mate on the Crispin. Also sailed on the Basil
from Dec 61 to Aug 62(laid her up in the river Blackwater).
Also served on the Denis. Only went up to Iquitos once that was
on the Crispin. Fond memories of the Booth Line.
I worked my way up from apprentice to 2nd mate in maggie booths from 1957-1964. SS DENIS, MV VIGILANTE. MV VENEMOS & RMS HUBERT. any bodu out there on same ships same time would like to hook up. fond memories of all the logging ports up the mighty AMAZON Also good time in 'tank street' Belem
Old 15th February 2014, 23:40
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Booth Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrocket View Post
I worked my way up from apprentice to 2nd mate in maggie booths from 1957-1964. SS DENIS, MV VIGILANTE. MV VENEMOS & RMS HUBERT. any bodu out there on same ships same time would like to hook up. fond memories of all the logging ports up the mighty AMAZON Also good time in 'tank street' Belem

Hi, as you will see from my earlier posts on this thread, same time approx but different ships. Same memories however. I didn't want to mention tank street!!!!
Old 8th March 2014, 17:04
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1952 - 1960

Hi Trotterdotpom, I sailed with a fredie archer ch/twd on theSalamanca psnc I was his 2nd stwd nov 59 to june 60 couldit be the same, he was one hard man. I also made 3 trips on the Hilary up the amazon march54 to nov 54 catering
dept another happy ship, lots of tales nobody would believe Pete barlow
Old 8th March 2014, 17:37
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - 1990

Any of you M.Booth guys sail with my dad-Arthur Louis Halsall.
Dont know when , probably late 50's -from Liverpool -possibly galley boy
Dads passed away now, but remember Mum said he sailed with MB
Old 8th March 2014, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete barlow. View Post
Hi Trotterdotpom, I sailed with a fredie archer ch/twd on theSalamanca psnc I was his 2nd stwd nov 59 to june 60 couldit be the same, he was one hard man. I also made 3 trips on the Hilary up the amazon march54 to nov 54 catering
dept another happy ship, lots of tales nobody would believe Pete barlow
Thanks Pete. I'm sure that is the same Fred, he was a big time South America hand. I knew him in LOF in the '70s - a great bloke who had probably mellowed with age.

John T
Old 9th March 2014, 08:01
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - 1990

Arthur Louis Halsall

Phill,
Im trying to find out which vessel (s) my late Dad sailed on with M.Booths.
All I know is he "ran away" to sea -dont know when. Mum ( sadly passed away too) said he sailed up the Amazon. His name was Arthur Louis Halsall from Liverpool. He was very young -could have been a gallley hand .
Ask your Dad if he came across him please
Thanks
Roy Halsall.

My father was on the "Dunstan" back in the 50s, just wondering if anyone else did a trip on her, my father to this day has a lovely photo of her on his hallway wall along with other ship photos he worked on.My Father has loads of good stories, but unfortunately cannot navigate a computer yet, I am trying to persuade him to get a pc and join this fantasic forum.

regards
Phill[/QUOTE]
Old 17th March 2014, 17:24
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1952 - 1960

Hi All you Maggie booths guys still waiting to hear from any one who sailed on the RMS Hilary I made three trips on her from 16 march 1954 till 24 November 1954 catering , great ship and great times. Peter Barlow.
Old 10th May 2014, 18:17
Active: 1972 - 1979

My location
Lloyd Hughes, SkipperI sailed with on the Cuthbert 73, did 4 trips NY to Iquitos
Old 11th May 2014, 20:55

Re the Booth Line last week I was watching an old Kojak episode and was surprised to see in the background of a dock scene the Clement a Booth boat,as the location is supposed to be New York can any one tell me where the Clement was docked
Old 12th May 2014, 00:05

My location
Booth Line

Probably the old pier #1 just under Brooklyn Bridge.
Old 12th May 2014, 00:07

My location
Booth Line

Probably the old pier #1 just downstream of Brooklyn Bridge.
Whoops - I think I've replied twice - sorry.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
Probably the old pier #1 just downstream of Brooklyn Bridge.
Whoops - I think I've replied twice - sorry.
Thanks for the info Duquesa,ked the programme often shows dock scenes and I try to see where they are.I docked in New York a number of times and over in Newark and Perth Amboy and once in Bush Terminal Brooklin.I love the show it takes me back to the times there and I loved all the big American cars .
Old 24th June 2014, 21:10

Filming of a Kojak episode

Well Tom you have certainly taken me back through the years......Summer 1976 to be exact.
The "Clement" and a few others "V" boats were laid up in Brooklyn for a while, not that I can remember the berth but it was somewhere down by the Brooklyn Army Terminal. I can remember all hands on the bridge wings watching the filming. I remember seeing the episode when I got home and you could just make out few heads on the bridge wings.
There was a road that ran parallel with the river were the locals used to use as a drag race track in the evenings. It was one of the hottest Summers I remember and the air pollution was pretty bad...certainly glad to get out at sea again.
By the 1970's the Booth operation had moved from Pier 1, Pier 2, Atlantic Basin and we ended up at a Mafia run berth close to Erie Basin, which I remember very well.
Some of the "V" boats were there for a long time with the crews going native.
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Pengelly View Post
Ch/Stwd Sam Murtagh was around in P&O GCD in the mid 70's. I seem to remember his wife was spanish and he lived in Spain. He was also a really superb ballroom dancer a great asset on a run ashore in Belem!!
My dad was a chief engineer with Booths, he has been dead for over 20 years, but used to talk about Fred. I think he ended up in Kuwait shipping? Bob Hughes
Old 26th July 2015, 18:40
Active: 1967 - 1977

Booth Line 60's

just to 'trigger' memories
I was R/0 on the Valiente 68-69, she then changed name to Veloz about April 69 Panamanian flag. Did 4 trips NY to Iquitos.
Names I remember.
Captain J Needham, J Ogonowski
C/Mate E Bentley, C Evans
2/Mate T Morgan, H Johnson
3/Mate P Thompson, Bassim Balal.
C/Eng D Price
2/ Eng J Rutherford
3/Eng V Tiffin
4/Eng B Barnes
C/Stwd L Jones

Can remember those names, have to think really hard on the great grand kids.

No use getting older, if you can't remember what you did when you were younger.
Old 26th July 2015, 19:18

Nice to hear you still have memories of the old Amazon, I think we were the lucky ones to have sailed Ocean Going Vessels up to Iquitos. Booth Line was taken over by the Blue Star Ship Management around 1975 and things were never the same again. I relieved John Needham a couple of times...he married an American girl from Brooklyn, seems to have dropped off the radar. Eric Bentley affectionately known as Cri Cri, married a Brazilian girl from Manaus and after Booth Brazil closed, opened a Shipping Agency in Manaus, which after his death a few years ago is now run by his sons. Sailed with Tommy Morgan and Lou Jones both great characters on the Amazon....Ogonowski was also a real character, don't know if you remember Ned St Roas he was Superintendent in Belem at around your time on the Amazon...sadly he has passed away.
Busy putting my memories down on paper at the moment...as you say memories of the past come flooding back...the more I write the more it seems I remember.
Nice to hear from you..good luck for the future.
Old 27th July 2015, 00:39
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1962

Does anyone remember Tom McCuthen? I might has spelt his surname wrong.
Anyway I sailed with Tom on the Crispin back in 1960,he was Chief Officer,
master was Captain Norman Sharpe. Last saw Tom in Late 1962 when he was
Chief Officer on the Hubert. I believe Tom finally got his own command but latter had a heart attack and I think had to give up his sea going career.
Great guy and a good shipmate. Another clue,he had a daughter called Liz and
wife called Molly. Couldn't believe he had a heart attack as he was a big/fit
strapping Scottish lad. Any news about him would be appreciated
Thanks. Caffj
Old 27th July 2015, 20:52

Hi Caffj
The name you are after is Tom McCutcheon, I remember his wife and daughter very well, my family I visited them in their boarding house in Dunoon when we were camping up in Arrochar. He did get his command just before I did. I do not remember him getting a heart attack, but he left Booths in the late seventies if I remember right, families reasons; and joined the Dunoon/ Gourock Western Ferries, that's were he was working when we visited.
Tom was a great guy, we were once in Leixoes on different ships..we were invited to the British Club in Oporto by the Manager of Garland Laidley's, and certainly drank our fill of Vino do Porto. On the way back we called in one of the bars for a night cap..a good night was had by all.
Lost touch with Tom when I left Booths, and spent a few years working in the Gulf.
Just did a internet search and came up with this, which might interest you. Tom and Molly certainly look well.
http://forargyll.com/?p=75340

Last edited by Foca; 27th July 2015 at 21:32.. Reason: Extra info
Old 28th July 2015, 16:30
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1962

Hi Foca,
Many thanks for you input regarding Tom McCutcheon. Your news very much
appreciated. Some one, some where told me Tom had a heart attack.
I couldn't believe it as he didn't smoke,(at least not when I sailed with him)
As I said he was a big strong good looking blond Scot and fit as a fiddle.
As I mentioned before he was also a nice guy and a good shipmate
Anyway great to have your input. I'll take a look at the web page you suggested
best regards,
Caffj