Stag Line Shipping North Shields - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
11:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stag Line Shipping North Shields

User Tag List

Old 25th February 2009, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barga View Post
I joined Stag line in June 1969 , first ship was the Cydonia which I joined in Belfast as a Deck Cadet it was her last trip before being sold and I paid off in Rotterdam handing her over to the new owners. I stayed with Stag line till I finished my cadetship then I went to work for the Kuwaite's .
Would be happy to get in touch with any old shipmates.
Hi barga,
I know this is a bit late,but I have just read your message.I left Stag Line
just before you joined.I am trying to find out what became of some other
apprentices I sailed with.Peter Rowlands,John (jock) Chalmers,Graham
Robinson.Yoy may have sailed with them.
Kudu.
Old 28th March 2009, 07:08

Hello! Clive Spencer here a retired shipmaster living in New Zealand. Having taken my qualifications at South Shields I got to meet quite a few lads out of the Stag Line - geordies one and all, the salt of the Earth! A yarn I once heard that was whilst at anchor in one of the Great Lakes the apprentices from another Tyneside tramp (maybe one of Runciman's - my old firm) went aboard at the dead of night and painted "large appendages" on the stags on both sides of the funnel. Her Master was not amused.

All the best...Clive
Old 20th May 2009, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by janbonde View Post
I knew a Capt-Reekie with Stag Line he came from a place he called the East Nook or Neuk,I heard from sources that he passed away about four or five years ago he must have been in his nineties
I also sailed with Capt Reekie on the Begona (built 1931) during 1954 as a deck apprentice. Smoked 60 cigarettes a day until well into his nineties. He came from Anstruther, Fife where his offspring have a large general business - everying from a needle to an anchor. I visited Capt Reekie at his home - opposite the "Craws Nest Hotel" in Anstruther a year or so before he died - still fit and well. He had'nt seen or heard from me for close on forty years and he knew me right away. His family are still in Anstruther and Capt Reekie was well known in the town.
Old 20th May 2009, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Robert

9 years with Staggies 1969 t0 1978 vessels sailed on Zinnia,Ixia,Photinia and Gloxinia
Rgds Gdynia
I also sailed on the Zinnia as a first trip deck apprentice in 1953.

Oliver
Old 20th May 2009, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantramp View Post
Hi Robert
I sailed with Stag Line 1952 to 1966 I have a small web site at
http://stag-line.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
All the best oceantramp
I also sailed with Stag Line as a deck apprentice - 1953 until 1957

Oliver
Old 20th May 2009, 22:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1970 - 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signorini View Post
I also sailed with Capt Reekie on the Begona (built 1931) during 1954 as a deck apprentice. Smoked 60 cigarettes a day until well into his nineties. He came from Anstruther, Fife where his offspring have a large general business - everying from a needle to an anchor. I visited Capt Reekie at his home - opposite the "Craws Nest Hotel" in Anstruther a year or so before he died - still fit and well. He had'nt seen or heard from me for close on forty years and he knew me right away. His family are still in Anstruther and Capt Reekie was well known in the town.
I also sailed with Capt Reekie on the Photinia as cadet on a trip to Paranagua, Brazil. Early 1970's. Back to Trafford Park with Maize. I can confirm his smoking habit. It was a sad trip as we lost the third mate Willie Fallon. I believe he had sailed with Capt Reekie for many years probably back to war time. You may remember him from your time with Stag Line.

Peter
Old 21st May 2009, 20:25
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Peter
I sailed with Captain Reekie on his last trip on Photinia can always remember him saying"Is that no to much money for a young man"
Old 21st May 2009, 21:35

Quote:
Peter
I sailed with Captain Reekie on his last trip on Photinia can always remember him saying"Is that no to much money for a young man"
Nev.

He was a bit reluctant to give subs to cadets. No doubt looking after our best interests. Myself and two others went to ask for a sub while alongside at Trafford Park. We said we wanted bus fare into town, money for a hair cut, money for writing paper and envelopes to write home and money for some new socks. We got 5 each. We gave each other a very poor hair cut, walked as far as the Trafford Park Hotel and spent the money on beer. You could get a lot for a fiver in the early 70,s. We had to good grace to feel guilty about it.
He was a fine Old Man from a different generation who served through the war years, you had to admire him.

Peter
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:24
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Yesyou did Peter I think that was my first trip with you and Chris Brackenberry
Old 11th June 2009, 11:19
Active: 1955 - 1999

this first appeared in j&j denholms sub forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
In this Evenings Shields Gazette, it reports the death of Captain David Mustarde on the 3rd of June He was 69. He was with Denholms for quite some time.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:54

Photinia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2182sw View Post
i have a photo of the PHOTINIA in KING GEORGE DOCK HULL with all her cable laying gear on the bow i dont know if she was just going to lay the cable or she had just finished but she had just discharged a full cargo of grain so she must have done a trip with the gear still on sam
She did a cable from north to south island of New Zealand ( Cook Strait ), I knew Davey Barton who was on that trip 68 I think, he was my Senior Apprentice when I joined the old Cydonia in Belfast. She went for scrap to Rotterdam ! Some great lads !
Old 30th August 2009, 17:00

Quote:
Robert

9 years with Staggies 1969 to 1978 vessels sailed on Zinnia,Ixia,Photinia and Gloxinia
Rgds Gdynia
Helo Gdynia

You were there longerthan me.
I was on the Cydonia as Junior and 4th Engineer, Captain Riekie, Chief Eng Mustard, 2nd was John Snowdon. two seasons on the Great Lakes
Transferred to Ixia 69 or there-abouts, joined her in Boston. Bob Chambers was Chief, 2nd was Hughie Shotton. Capt was Mortimer. We lost an anchor off Cape Hattras lightship in rough weather, did three weeks in NY for repairs, to the Fwd B/Head which was a mess. We then headed South to catch Hurricane Camile in Gulf Port, another mess, cargo of sulphur got blown away. Local bar was not there the day after we had been it Interesting trip. I see Bob Chambers most weeks, now spends his time in his allotment.

Do you recall Ernie Lamb, he is still going according to Bob

Recall seeing the Zinnia being fitted out, was it Redheads Yard?

Alan McKenzie
Whitley Bay
0191 2371283
Old 30th August 2009, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Enter "Stag Line" in the Search Forums of this site and quite a few mentions of the company and former employees (including myself, very briefly) come up. There is also a direction to a Stag Line website belonging to 'Oceantramp'.
Enjoy.

John T.
John T

Are you the John T that lived near Widdrington Station? was it Stobswood?
Cydonia with Captain Riekie and Old Mustard the Chief, Mervyn the 3rd Mate?

Alan McKenzie
Whitley Bay
Old 30th August 2009, 18:39
Active: 1961 - 1999

My location
Haven't been on the Stag site for a while, any mention of "Robbie" always brings back memories, coming alongside Slaford lay-by I think, on the Cydonia, the pilot remarked, "No linesmen here yet" a minute later he says "It's ok , there's one here now," it was Robbie! He'd shot down onto the quay, always remember his remark to me when I tapped the baramoter, "Aye Mister Mate, if it was ment to be tapped there would be a hammer!" Hugh Shottonused to wind him up. Was John Snowdon the 2nd. who would go ashore very smartly dressed and with a briefcase? Happy days, Ernie Lamb standing on the lock with my wife and child, I knew nothing of their joining but Ernie was prepared to let them sail if I stayed on for a trip to Australia, no way, I was due to go study for Masters, a great fellow was Ernie.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:32

Hi Bigmo,

Thanks for your response.
I guess there are many, many stories connected to "Robbie" as you call him. He was a remarkable man.
I recall John Snowdon going ashore at River Rouge, in his white mac and a brolly and him getting it jammed in the mezanine floor of the bridge astern of the ship. Do you recall this berth? I had a lot of time for John.
Ernie was instrumental in me leaving MacGreggors the hatch cover people, to complete my apprenticeship, "Only a 6 week trip to the States" I signed off the Cydonia 11 months later in Leith. It was a great first trip.
Where do you live these days In have not wandered far from North Shields. I drink in the Old Wooden Doll on the quayside just below the Stag Line office. (Now the Prince of Wales).

Alan McK

Last edited by alan brett mckenzie; 1st September 2009 at 09:11..
Old 5th September 2009, 11:31

Hello Bargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by barga View Post
I joined Stag line in June 1969 , first ship was the Cydonia which I joined in Belfast as a Deck Cadet it was her last trip before being sold and I paid off in Rotterdam handing her over to the new owners. I stayed with Stag line till I finished my cadetship then I went to work for the Kuwaite's .
Would be happy to get in touch with any old shipmates.
Hello Barge,

I was on the Cydonia around that date who did you sail with?

Alan Mckenzie
Whitley Bay
Old 8th September 2009, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Seeking Info On This Company Plus Any X Crew Members Who Worked On These Ships Rob
my name is john morgan from swansea i joined stag line as an apprentice 1955
i served on the gardenia zinnia gloxinia clintonia and as third mate on cydonia with jas shaw captain have only just joined nostalgia my e-mail is [email protected] get in touch
Old 8th September 2009, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantramp View Post
Hi Robert
I sailed with Stag Line 1952 to 1966 I have a small web site at
http://stag-line.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
All the best oceantramp
Hi Robert
I joind stag line as an apprentice 1955-1960 my ships were Gardenia Zinnia
Gloxinia Clintonia and as third mate on Cydonia then went with hains of st Ives
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:45

I did one trip on Gardenia as steward in 1960 up Great Lakes. I loved this old ship but unforseen circumstances forced me to leave at last minute prior to re-signing on.
Old 24th September 2009, 06:51

Hello Stag Line crew...

I have just joined the list and feeling my way around, looking for information on Stag Line. My interest is through my late father, Capt (William) Raymond Hunter.

Already I have seen names that I recall and ships that I visited or sailed on as a child - Zinnia (SS), Cydonia, Gloxinia, Begonia, Ixia, Zinnia (mv)...

...Hughie Shotten (was my job to watch out for black smoke out of the funnel and promptly ring the engine room to get Hughie to take his socks off the boiler); Cyril Bradley (always smiling and fixing things); Shaun Highland (taught me navigation, how to use a sextant, learned and raised the flags); spanish bosun (Cydonia, 1967) taught me rope work, splicing and started on wire-hawser before leaving ship), Stan Fuller (ice-cream, jam sandwiches and tea with strange-tasting milk from a can)...all good folk and happy memories.

Last edited by mikeh_001au; 24th September 2009 at 07:05..
Old 24th September 2009, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh_001au View Post
Hello Stag Line crew...

I have just joined the list and feeling my way around, looking for information on Stag Line. My interest is through my late father, Capt (William) Raymond Hunter.

Already I have seen names that I recall and ships that I visited or sailed on as a child - Zinnia (SS), Cydonia, Gloxinia, Begonia, Ixia, Zinnia (mv)...

...Hughie Shotten (was my job to watch out for black smoke out of the funnel and promptly ring the engine room to get Hughie to take his socks off the boiler); Cyril Bradley (always smiling and fixing things); Shaun Highland (taught me navigation, how to use a sextant, learned and raised the flags); spanish bosun (Cydonia, 1967) taught me rope work, splicing and started on wire-hawser before leaving ship), Stan Fuller (ice-cream, jam sandwiches and tea with strange-tasting milk from a can)...all good folk and happy memories.
Mike,

I sailed with your father a number of times in the 70,s when I was 2nd mate. All on the Zinnia. You father was a perfect gentleman and a great old man to sail with. I remember we were down bound in the channel on one occasion when your father had me take the Zinnia close inshore to Prawle Point where your mother was watching us pass.
Happy memories of voyages with your father.

Peter

Last edited by peter3807; 24th September 2009 at 18:00.. Reason: spelling
Old 17th October 2009, 13:43

reply for info on STAG LINE.my name is bill middleton and i sailed on the DALEBY from 24/1/56 to13/7/56 three voyages to usa and the 4th was running between new york and canada carrying gypsum.i remember that the overtime money was paid in american dollars.does any one remember this trip
Old 17th October 2009, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by william middleton View Post
reply for info on STAG LINE.my name is bill middleton and i sailed on the DALEBY from 24/1/56 to13/7/56 three voyages to usa and the 4th was running between new york and canada carrying gypsum.i remember that the overtime money was paid in american dollars.does any one remember this trip
I think the Daleby was a Ropners ship, the company was based in Darlington. Stag Line ships in the 1950's were all named after flowers/flowering srubs, their office was in North Shields
Old 17th November 2009, 13:36
Active: 1972 - 2000

My location
I sailed with Jimmy Young on the Gloxinia and Photinia in the 1970s. I remember that he was a professional 2nd Mate.

John Hewett
Old 17th November 2009, 13:40
Active: 1972 - 2000

My location
Ken - did you visit Photinia when she was in Wellington in 1977? I was extra 2nd Mate on her at the time (along with Jim Sams (R/O), Hughie Selkirk (Master), Eddie lamb (Mate), Brian Hildred (2nd Mate), Steve Andrucci (3rd Mate) mongst others far too many to remember.

John Hewett