A 'Certain Young Lady's' CII nd BIRTHDAY. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

A 'Certain Young Lady's' CII nd BIRTHDAY.

User Tag List

Old 21st March 2019, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
You are 10 years my senior, 'S', so our wartime years were somewhat different and I certainly had no intention of 'slurring' Gracie, it was just that Vera had a rather special birthday.
Of course you didn't and, I know that. My post was not intended to take anything away from your salute to The Forces Sweetheart.
Old 22nd March 2019, 07:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

The war years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
Of course you didn't and, I know that. My post was not intended to take anything away from your salute to The Forces Sweetheart.

Hi 'S'.

Looking at your CV you've certainly lived an interesting life. What made you opt for Canada as your, I presume, 'permanent' home?

I was in Kent for the first 5 years of my life so watching dog fights, bombers being shot down, 'Dad's Army' and troop movements was just as 'earphones' are to kids here in '19. Was 'weaned' on V's voice, 'puppy love' which never waned.

Have a great weekend.

Kindest you and yours.

GGG
Old 23rd March 2019, 00:58

Being nabbed for National Service (another story) and spending it in Germany was a big eye opener for me. It was there that I met up with the Cdn Army and liked what I saw. They were unofficially recruiting out of the Cdn Army Liaison Establishment in London, and after being clear of NS I enlisted with them and never looked back.

Kent was regarded as the front lines in 1940 and beyond, so an exciting place to be - just so long as nothing unpleasant came your way.

Salut, mon vieux.
Old 23rd March 2019, 08:23

The right or wrong place at the wrong or right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
Being nabbed for National Service (another story) and spending it in Germany was a big eye opener for me. It was there that I met up with the Cdn Army and liked what I saw. They were unofficially recruiting out of the Cdn Army Liaison Establishment in London, and after being clear of NS I enlisted with them and never looked back.

Kent was regarded as the front lines in 1940 and beyond, so an exciting place to be - just so long as nothing unpleasant came your way.

Salut, mon vieux.
My 'schoolboy French' is decidedly rusty so I'll simply say, en Anglais, "Top of a chilly, Surrey morning to you Young Man".

Thanks for the very abridged resume of your interesting life from young to 'not so young'.

Entirely up to you but if you'd like to PM me with your e mail address I'll sent you some 'photographic evidence' which epitomise '44, Kent and me personally.

Au 'voir [B]GGG[/B
]
Old 23rd March 2019, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post

Entirely up to you but if you'd like to PM me with your e mail address ..........

Au 'voir [B]GGG[/B
]
I cannot do that GtP, because I would have to exterminate you - with extreme prejudice.
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:44
Department: Office / Administration

Vera Lynn

Thank you so much for these memories. I was 7 when the War started, so I remember all of these songs, and all of the things related to the War, both of my parents worked in the Shipyard in Vancouver Washington. Again, through my tears, Thank you, for the memories.
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat m lawson View Post
Thank you so much for these memories. I was 7 when the War started, so I remember all of these songs, and all of the things related to the War, both of my parents worked in the Shipyard in Vancouver Washington. Again, through my tears, Thank you, for the memories.
My pleasure, Pat, pleased you enjoyed and that those tears were, I sincerely hope, 'happy ones'?

Kindest to you and yours from a decidedly chilly UK.

GGG
Old 7th April 2019, 06:52

What's happening Taff? Just got back from holiday to find your message to which I was blocked from replying??
Old 30th April 2019, 16:01
Active: 1953 - 1993

Hello Graham. Re. The War Years.
I suspect that I was too young to appreciate V. L. but I well remember the summer of 1940.
After my father's ship was sunk off Folkestone we moved to a farm in Sussex where a 5 year old was very interested in what was going on in the sky. Not very therapeutic for a shipwrecked mariner though and when a plane came down in the next field with a full bomb load we shifted ship back up North.
All the best. Bert.
Old 30th April 2019, 17:36

Hi ex Stevieclarkes
We may have been Ships passing in the Night I was a Boatman in Shoreham in the 60s I remember in those days the Steyning Lancing Totland Amberly Shoreham Portslade Arundel Borde Bramber Horsted Keynes Balcombe Portsmouth running to Shoreham
Granty
Old 30th April 2019, 19:18
Active: 1953 - 1993

Graham,
I was 2/O on Steyning in 1956, no ticket, and did not go to Shoreham. My father was Master on the SS.Henry Moon owned by Brighton Electric Board, managed by S.C. and ran to Portslade power station. Attacked off Dover and sunk off Folkstone on 25th.July 1940 (Black Thursday). There is a book called "Coastal Convoys 1939-1945", The Everlasting Highway by Nick Hewitt which gives a good account of the North Sea trade at that time.

Bert.