Ships Nostalgia banner

Eugenio C

17K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  shiploversa 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, i'm brazilian and traveled in the Eugenio Costa in 1996. Where's her now, what is her future, what is going to happen with the BIG RED BOAT II? If somebody knows, please answer me in italianliners@******** Thanks.

PS: Sorry about my english, i can´t talk so well because i never do an english
course.

Note:
Ahoy Eugenio,
Once again, I have edited out an email address posted on an Open Forum. This is not a good idea as, although with the best of intentions, it may result in some unwelcome mail arriving in your Inbox, and that's what you're not waiting for, isn't it?

If any Members wish to reply to Eugenio, you can do so via a PM[Private Message]

OĂ­! Eugenio,
Eu justo levar seu correio eletrônico endereço, não esta boa idéia!!!
Gostar "lixo"???

Desculpas meu Brasileiro escrito.

See less See more
#3 ·
italianliners said:
Hello, i'm brazilian and traveled in the Eugenio Costa in 1996. Where's her now, what is her future, what is going to happen with the BIG RED BOAT II? If somebody knows, please answer me in italianliners@hotmail.com. Thanks.

PS: Sorry about my english, i can´t talk so well because i never do an english course.
ciao i am a new membrer of shipsnostalgia and i try to read all, and may be this news can be good for you
about BIG RED BOAT II look the photos on shipspotting.com

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=70&num=10&orderby=dateD&pos=70
sorry for my bad english

greetings
E: PATALANO

#4 ·
Eugenio Costa

It is a very sad story of a beautiful liner falling victim of financial disaster and fraud.
In December 1994 Eugenio Costa was sold to Bremer Vulcan, in part payment for the sister ship to Costa Victoria, which was to be called Costa Olympia. She was then chartered back and operated by Costa. In July 1996 however, Bremer Vulkan were found to be running their Bremen shipyard on illegal subsidies and money intended for the rebuilding of East German shipyards. They were made bankrupt and the Costa Olympia was cancelled. Costa continued to operate Eugenio Costa until November 1996, when she was laid-up in Genoa.
The ship was auctioned by the creditors of Bremer Vulcan and she was bought by a small British company, Lowland Shipping and began cruise operations as Edinburgh Castle. Unfortunately she was not well maintained and became increasingly unreliable, driving Lowland Shipping into bankruptcy.
The ship was again auctioned and was bought by a rapidly expanding British shiprepair group using the old shipbuilding name of Cammell Laird. There is not space to detail the many financial manipulations of this company, but in the case of Edinburgh Castle they carried out a useless refit on the ship, sold her to a Bermudan company, which Cammell Laird financed but claimed they did not own and pretended that she was suddenly worth three times the value they had paid for her in the auction.
The ship was chartered to Commodore Cruise Line as Big Red Boat II, but was delivered late to New York to begin operations. Commodore found that, except for a new coat of red paint, she was in very bad condition and delayed her entry into service by two weeks for emergency work to be carried out. Big Red Boat II broke down on almost every voyage and after six weeks she had driven Commodore into bankruptcy. Shortly afterwards Cammell Laird was declared bankrupt.
Big Red Boat II was laid up and offered for sale. No one was interested in her. The receiver could not accept that a ship valued at ÂŁ36 million was only fit for scrap, so she remained in lay-up, looking for a buyer. When the decision was finally taken to sell her for scrap it was found that she was worth less than the cost of towing her to India.
Work was done to make her seaworthy and last year Big Red Boat II made her slow and difficult last voyage, calling at most ship repair yards between Bahamas and India for further emergency work

Fred :mad:

#5 ·
Thanks for that Fred. She was certainly a beautiful liner during the good days. I went aboard her in Lisbon in 1972 when in at the same time with Canberra. I still have a menu they gave me in a white tube with a red bow at the top. Very posh. Like us, she was still a liner then but cruising as well. It is such a shame that a fine vessel like her ended like she did. And to have the name Boat at the end was the final insult to a very fine ship. David

#6 ·
The Big Red Boat II was converted here on the Tyne at the Old Palmers Yard in Hebburn, it was calling it's self Cammell Lairds at that time. I was the Pilot onboard when she sailed from the Tyne early in the morning of 20th February 2000. Must admit calling it The Big Red Boat II on the radio was a bit of a mouthfull.

#11 ·
I think she was sister ship of SS OCEANIC of Home lines. The only difference are the funnels and superstructure. But at least the hull is equal in both ships

The Eugenio C was built for traffic between Genova-BuenosAires. Full speed reached 29 knots on trials.
The line was: Genova, Cannes, Barcelona, ​​Tenerife, Rio de Janeiro, Santos, Montevideo and Buenos Aires.

Attachments

#12 ·
OCEANIC Home Line EUGENIO C. Costa Armatori

Both vessels were by same yard CR dell'Adriatico, Monfalcone. There were some features... as the style of the bow and the stern, but other than that the two vessels were completely different. The OCEANIC was some 27,644 grt, 782 ft. EUGENIO 30,536 grt, 713 ft. The machinery was similar, De Laval geared turbines of 60,500.

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.