Searcing For Two Tankers Used In World War II - Ships Nostalgia
01:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Searcing For Two Tankers Used In World War II

User Tag List

Old 16th October 2005, 22:31

Searcing For Two Tankers Used In World War II

Hello to all! I am new to this site. I am trying to find some pictures of a couple of tankers that my dad was on during World War II. They were the...Chaco Canyon and the W.H. Libby. If anyone has any photos's of these two tankers that they could share with me, I would appreciate it very much! Or if anyone has any info. that they could share???

Thanks,
GoodOkieDad
Old 16th October 2005, 23:54
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site. I expect that one of our members will be able to help your specific quest. Please also take a broader interest in the maritime world and join in our discussions. All views are valid and the more radical opinions fire the debate.

Fred
Old 17th October 2005, 00:10

Welcome aboard

Welcome to the site, I am sure that you will receive some help from the members with your search for the two tankers.
Old 17th October 2005, 02:22

I don't have any photo's but the "Chaco Canyon" was a standard 'T2' design built by Kaiser Company, Portland, Oregon in 1944. In 1947 she was bought by Anglo-Saxon (Shell)and renamed "Thallepus". 12 September 1961 arrived Port Glasgow to be broken up.
"W. H. Libby" belonged to the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey and was built in 1921 by G. M. Standifer Construction Corp. of Washington State. She was 7992 gross, 12495 deadweight tons. I believe she survived the war but I don't know her fate.
Old 17th October 2005, 17:37

Chaco Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOkieDad
Hello to all! I am new to this site. I am trying to find some pictures of a couple of tankers that my dad was on during World War II. They were the...Chaco Canyon and the W.H. Libby. If anyone has any photos's of these two tankers that they could share with me, I would appreciate it very much! Or if anyone has any info. that they could share???

Thanks,
GoodOkieDad
Hi. If you go to the site Helderline.nl, you will find a phot of the Thallapus, ex Chaco Canyon. Regards Colins
Old 17th January 2006, 22:20
saltie

W.H.Libby Says she is listed under American flag then Panamanian from 1940 found her name in a couple of convoy lists
Old 18th January 2006, 15:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy GoodOkieDad,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 18th January 2006, 15:51
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome GoodokieDad to the site enjoy it and as you can see ask a question and in a short time up pops the answer and a happy new year to you.
Old 18th January 2006, 19:28

welcome on board goodokiedad you will enjoy this ship,regards.edward
Old 18th January 2006, 19:31
Phill Phill is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 1989

My location
for Chaco Canyon there is a photo of which was wrongly spelt as THALEPUS downloaded by WLH Plus a few threads,.......................................... .........................
T2-SE-A1 was the workhorse of the tanker fleet (481 built):
• 523 feet long overall
• 68 foot beam
• 30 foot draft
• 10,448 Gross tons
• 21,880 Loaded displacement tons
• 6,000 shaft horsepower Turbo-Electric propulsion
• Speed 14.5-16 knots
• Liquid capacity 141,200 barrels (42 gallons or 162 litres per barrel). [nearly 6 million gallons]

A T-2 tanker….Hull No 77 Chaco Canyon, Class T2-SE-A1, delivered 1944, purchased in 1947 from the USMC By Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co London Renamed Thallepus, scrapped in 1961 at Port Glasgow.
Phill