Valve radio repair - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Valve radio repair

User Tag List

Old 31st March 2016, 13:14
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Landsman View Post
DV,
I think that it is probably safe to say that you have got Coastie really worried now...
Hopefully stick with plan 'A'

Malcolm.
I should, perhaps, have put it that one can be live a little (but only a little). And that the chassis might by design be 'live' (a lot).

Last edited by Varley; 31st March 2016 at 13:17..
Old 31st March 2016, 13:50
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1985

Funnily enough my neigh our asked me to look at his workshop tube (valve) radio last week. It was covered in wood dust and when I cleaned it off found it to be a very nice Hammarlund table top shortwave radio. It was amazing how all that 70s theory came back. Valve heaters all in series. Valves all warm. Tapped with a meter on all the input grids. Screen grid HT ok. Anode grid HT ok. Cleaned the switches and up it came. A very nicely put together radio. Now I just have to get the Eddystone 870 and Atalanta done. Nice trip down memory lane.
Old 31st March 2016, 14:19
Department: Navigation

Have you tried switching it off and then on again? It won't help, but it isnice to be busy.
Old 31st March 2016, 14:47
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Ten Commandments of Electrical Safety

(1) Beware of the lightning that lurks in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to be bounced upon thy backside in a most ungainly manner.

(2) Cause thou the switch that supplies large quantities of juice to be opened and thusly tagged, so thy days may be long on this earthly vale of tears.

(3) Prove to thyself that all circuits that radiateth and upon which thou worketh are grounded lest they lift thee to high-frequency potential and cause thee to radiate also.

(4) Take care thou useth the proper method when thou taketh the measure of high-voltage circuits so that thou doth not incinerate both thee and the meter, for verily though thou hast no account number and can be easily replaced, the meter doth have one and as a consequence bringeth much woe upon the supply department.

(5)Tarry thee not amongst those who engage in intentional shocks for they are surely non-believers and are not long for this world.

(6) Take care thou tampereth not with interlocks and safety devices, for this incureth the wrath of thy seniors and bringeth the fury of the safety officer down upon thy head and shoulders.

(7) Work thee not on energized equipment, for if thou doeth, thy mates will surely be buying lunch without thee and thy space at the table will be filled by another.

(8) Verily, verily I say unto thee, never service high-voltage equipment alone, for electric cooking is a slothful process, and thou might sizzle in thy own fat for hours on end before thy Maker sees fit to end thy misery and drag thee into His fold.

(9) Trifle thee not with radioactive tubes and substances lest thou commence to glow in the dark like a lightning bug.

(10) Commit thee to memory the works of the prophets, which are written in the instruction books, which giveth the straight info and which consoleth thee, and thou cannot make mistakes.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 31st March 2016, 20:49

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulpers View Post
OMG Coastie, do NOT even contemplate taking the back off that set!
I've had the back off it and had the chassis out of the casing many times, even having to re string the dial once after mice got into it when we used to use it in the printing works many moons ago.

I am well aware of the possibility of the chassis being live and I've earthed it.

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com

Last edited by Coastie; 31st March 2016 at 20:55..
Old 31st March 2016, 21:48
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie View Post
I've had the back off it and had the chassis out of the casing many times, even having to re string the dial once after mice got into it when we used to use it in the printing works many moons ago.

I am well aware of the possibility of the chassis being live and I've earthed it.
If I hear Helimed flying over my house going in your direction, I'll be thinking of you!
Old 31st March 2016, 21:53

My location
Just DON'T bring malted milk biscuits if/when you visit me in YG!!

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Old 31st March 2016, 22:26

If you don't know about the workings of a valve radio, I would recommend you don't even try! It is not necessarily a sensible thing to earth the chassis either! If it was an AC/DC set, and the plug had been wired the wrong way round - "boomsville!"
OK to earth the chassis of a set with an isolation transformer. But if they do have a transformer and a full-wave rectifier valve. The secondary of the transformer would probably produce 350 - 0 - 350 Volts, even though only half of that would end up as High Tension Voltage. But 700 Volts would still be there across either end of the transformer making it doubly dangerous to go poking about underneath whilst it was switched on!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 31st March 2016, 23:04

My location
Oh, I've been made aware on may occasions of how dangerous electricity can be!!

Old 1st April 2016, 17:38

I've just had a good look at the one on ebay - What a lovely old radio, with a built in antennae and input for magnetic pick-up.
They don't make 'em like that any more.

I noticed that it is '4 Band' - with 'TB' = Trawler Band.... in between Short and Medium. The old long range high frequency band.
Does anyone still use it, if so who?
Old 1st April 2016, 20:14
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

I am currently trying to resurrect a c1957 Philips 151U, LW/MW 5-valves broadcast Rx, but the drive cord is broken. I found this site http://www.service-data.com from which for the princely sum of £1.99 I have downloaded a complete service manual with cct diagrams and how to fit a new dial cord..

Worth a look if you get stuck.

David
Old 2nd April 2016, 05:22

My location
Quote:
I noticed that it is '4 Band' - with 'TB' = Trawler Band.... in between Short and Medium. The old long range high frequency band.
Does anyone still use it, if so who?
Trawlers! Strangely enough!! On a night watch when we had the Skanti, we'd often hear whistles from various trawlers communicating to one another in their "secret language".

Last edited by Coastie; 2nd April 2016 at 05:35..
Old 2nd April 2016, 05:23

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Back to your #1 with Ebay link have you bid/bought the wireless or not?
It's pick up only, so, as yet, no.

Old 2nd April 2016, 05:27

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.hopcroft View Post
I am currently trying to resurrect a c1957 Philips 151U, LW/MW 5-valves broadcast Rx, but the drive cord is broken. I found this site http://www.service-data.com from which for the princely sum of £1.99 I have downloaded a complete service manual with cct diagrams and how to fit a new dial cord..

Worth a look if you get stuck.

David
I just pulled the chassis out, switched it on, tuned the radio to a Station which I knew the frequency of (194 Radio City, Liverpool IIRC) then arranged the string so that the pointer was in the general vicinity of 194 on Medium Wave and at the top end of Trawlers Band.

Old 2nd April 2016, 05:34

My location
Quote:
I've just had a good look at the one on ebay - What a lovely old radio, with a built in antennae and input for magnetic pick-up.
They don't make 'em like that any more.
I used to have an Hitachi AM/FM tuner which used to sit on top of my old PYE and its output was fed into the "Gram" input of the PYE so that I could listen to "Local broadcasts" (me pirating!) with that gorgeous warm valve (tube) sound.