Reefers Loch Lomond/Loch Marie - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
12:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Reefers Loch Lomond/Loch Marie

User Tag List

Old 16th March 2007, 21:34

does anyone whom sailed on these ships remember any of the arranged banana plantation visiits by the capt and ships agents , in those air condition minibuses ,i was lucky enough to have 2 off visits, 1 in fort de france which was the luxury one and one in la ceiba which was the other end of the market but very interesting none the less , feels like yesterday now that i think of it.always remember the bird with the dead snake in its mouth and the extreme heat...woo! they were even mechanised with a rail syatem to take the bananas to the processiong plant
Old 16th March 2007, 23:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1986

My location
I remember doing one with an old guy but do not remember where, Colmbia? It was the country that has the croaching women giving birth!!!

I remember we stopped at a great place for lunch

Dick
Old 21st March 2007, 13:24
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentlandpirate View Post
I forget who forgot to secure the side loading door on No4 hold as Loch Lomond left Puerto Limon late 1979. As Deck Cadet I was responsible for bilge soundings. Woke up one morning to find everyone pointing finger at me accusing me of flogging (making up) the soundings. During the night the cooling fans in the hold had stopped working, only for the lecky to discover they were under water!

It was only later that a vigilant lookout on watch was leaning over the bridgewing as the ship rolled, and noticed some unexpected movement. As the ship rolled to starboard and more of the vessels hull became visible above the waterline, he saw the side loading door closing. As the ship rolled the other way the door opened up, took a huge gulp of seawater and closed again as the ship rolled back the other way again!!!!

Crucially the hydraulic controls for the door were right next to it in the hold, but the hold was stacked to the top with boxes of bananas. The only acces to the hold (without opening the main hatches at sea) was to go in through the small man hatch on the stbd side. So all hands were called to perform a Great Escape tunnelling exercise, one man first pulling a box out, and passing it back down the line, as they worked their way across the hold. A huge number of boxes had to be pulled out, and dumped and when they got to the side by the door an even larger area had to be cleared to ensure the door could be closed securely.

Might have flogged the soundings once or twice in my life. Afterall you try and determine where the water level is after you've dipped a brass rod with chalk on it down a damp rusty pipe to the bilge, and then read it accurately as the spray breaks over your head on deck.

At least the Lecky and 2nd Eng was good enough to apologise to me afterwards!
I was on that trip either as catering boy or steward, I do remenber spending quite a few hours down the hold shifting banana boxes all that to shouts from the chaps not in the hold about spiders ! !and the like
Old 23rd January 2008, 00:24

My location
New Lochs

For the new 'Lochs' - see Keith Denholm's Gallery https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16330
Old 18th April 2008, 12:01

brownsville

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentlandpirate View Post
Hi Stephen,

Yes, she looked more like a cruise liner! I'm guessing we were in Brownsville about October 1979. Huge mosquitos and massive downpour. Picture of George attached.........can you confirm it's him?

Am slowly digging out photos that havent seen light of day for 27 years or so.
Can't stay long....off to Montreal on Friday to see some very special vietnamese friends from the Wellpark rescue. That's the problem with SN..we're living in the past!Attachment 6405

Attachment 6406

Attachment 6407

Mike
I was there at the time,do you remember going into town and we went to a bar which advertised 7 $ to go in and you can drink as much as you like,there were about 7 of us and we went on this cocktail I cant remember the name of it at the moment but boy did we have a good time,I wish we had digital cameras in those days,I was 3rd engineer at the time,the second went with us a red haired guy who later went chief and I met him whilst standing by the Cast Husky in Korea.I have just joined this site so still finding my way around.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-D View Post
first bosun on her was John Macdonald, then Tommy Dahlstrom from paisley, remember either?
Also sailed on her maiden voyage. Donald Campbell was bosun ,tricky dick as Master,harvey c/o,ian lynn ch/stwd
Old 27th November 2008, 23:10
Department: Engineering

Remember the 4 Fridges that rotated round the Lochs Lomond, Maree & Long
After 30 years - who could forget Hughie Newton _ I cannot remember the others
Old 30th January 2009, 23:58

sailed on Loch Lommond 10th January 81 from DD In Antwerp for Pannama Cannal Skipper was Captain Perry,Chief was Magilvarry
Old 24th March 2009, 08:30
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdenholm View Post
just remembered, does anyone remember ch/eng,dave bissett and deacon from loch boats around 78/79 ,think it was capt bell at the time (remember wilma the nav cadet ,thats for him) also capt harvey with the gold tooth or even mike pride 2/eng, an x denholms blueyed cadet, think but not sure became M.D. of denholm ship management just before it merged to become anglo seboard?.around 2000.anyone with any info on these chaps? it true what they said i was on her 6months and asked to stay another 6 only to be told no most dissapointing wonder whats happing in golfito now or pt limon
No it was not the Harbour Bar, it was the famous knocking shop !Emmas Bar!
just aft of where we used to tie up, excellently described by (pentalndpirate)
I was the Catering officer on the Loch Maree for over 4 good years, had a great time, remember Bill Harvey and the John Deacon very well, Mike pride and Dave Bisset also, if you can remember some of the other names please come back to me. I was on her when she was handed over to Wallem Ship Management in Sharjah 1981.

Regards,

Spence Lewis.
Old 24th March 2009, 08:56

My location
Quote:
yes polars v8 s( been in british polar works a few times over the years) i.ve still got the scars on my fingers from fitting those damn exhaust ghaskets on the maree that had the reinforce wire thro the middle,remember how awkward it was to get your hand in and line it up with cylinder head, give me a ruston paxman anyday,or how the exhaust mainfold glowed yellow when that stupid arrangement of air start v/v use to jam open. Declan !from your company ,my mate i seen a few weeks ago , the one from the lomond too .knows him, and has talked a few times with him. though he knows more of the lads from v ship, were you not the one whom went to polar during your leave to find out about the special tool for tightening the big ends as it says in the manual only to find out it was the same tool we were using a 3/4 drive socket with a 6 foor tube on the end to tghten to the required torque!!!?
i know pics were taken at that pool of the marees and L.A.when we were there, lomond was faster someone said(stephen) but maree was quality!!!
Looking at the pic, it was a cargo of cars down below, trucks on deck and if I remeber correctly two busses stowed some place, loaded in Baltimore and discharged in Baranquilla.
Remember some of the crew coming back in the morning in just their socks a skiddies, they had every thing else stolen.
Spence.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:10

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersjm1 View Post
Hi,
Ahh the memories.The juke box had wire mesh around it.I was 2nd cook on Maree in 1978.Chief cook was Pat Croarkin from Glasgow,Bosun was Jimmy Macneill from Barra
Juke box with a pipe metal frame around it, then covered with chicken wire, correct, inside of the bar was painted blue, lovely girls all had a smell of garlic around them. Sorry to hear that Pat has passed on, we had a good crew on that trip.

Spence.
Old 11th April 2009, 09:47

loch maree maiden voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmar View Post
Also sailed on her maiden voyage. Donald Campbell was bosun ,tricky dick as Master,harvey c/o,ian lynn ch/stwd
I was also on loch maree maiden voyage,I remember the same names as you John,did you sail from Greenock January 1976. other names I remember were
Bobby Mclean from Aberdeen,Brian Mulervey Glassgow,the Chef was from near newcastle dont remember his name and there were 3 or 4 welsh lads on board.
Old 17th March 2014, 12:15
Active: 1960 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-D View Post
Sad to see loch maree is scrapped, i was first trip cadet on her maiden voyage
Hi Andy D

I have just registered on Shipsnostalgia.
I was Chief Officer on maiden voyage on Loch Maree, having stood by the building. I later relieved David Dixon as Master.

Bill Harvey
Old 17th March 2014, 12:22

Quote:
just remembered, does anyone remember ch/eng,dave bissett and deacon from loch boats around 78/79 ,think it was capt bell at the time (remember wilma the nav cadet ,thats for him) also capt harvey with the gold tooth or even mike pride 2/eng, an x denholms blueyed cadet, think but not sure became M.D. of denholm ship management just before it merged to become anglo seboard?.around 2000.anyone with any info on these chaps? it true what they said i was on her 6months and asked to stay another 6 only to be told no most dissapointing wonder whats happing in golfito now or pt limon
Hi X-Denholm

Just registered on the Forum.

I stood by and did the Maiden voyage on Loch Maree. Eventually returned as Master and had several years onboard.

Fond memories od Dave Bissett and John Deakin.

(I no longer have the gold tooth)

Bill Harvey
Old 17th March 2014, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
No it was not the Harbour Bar, it was the famous knocking shop !Emmas Bar!
just aft of where we used to tie up, excellently described by (pentalndpirate)
I was the Catering officer on the Loch Maree for over 4 good years, had a great time, remember Bill Harvey and the John Deacon very well, Mike pride and Dave Bisset also, if you can remember some of the other names please come back to me. I was on her when she was handed over to Wallem Ship Management in Sharjah 1981.

Regards,

Spence Lewis.
Hi Spence

Just registered Shipnostalgia.

With a thread through Stephen Card, he mentioned you were on the site.

How are things with you ?
I am still gainfully employed as a Port Captain/Supercargo on Heavy Lift ships.

Bill Harvey
Old 18th March 2014, 09:13

My location
Hi Bill, I have recently been in touch with Stephen and Mike Pride.

Good to hear from you, surprised it took you so long to find this site.

Keep in touch with stephen, we are trying to make a reunion at the end of this year, I am sure we can find some things to talk about, its a bit worrying to find that some of the good Characters we sailed with have crossed the bar.
But we can have a good bash.

I have been living in Azerbaijan for 18 years now, climate suits me old bones and the Voddie is good, makes a change from Rum.
send me your email and we can keep in touch.

Best reagrds,

Spence
Old 13th May 2014, 16:38
Active: 1977 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
Hi Bill, I have recently been in touch with Stephen and Mike Pride.

Good to hear from you, surprised it took you so long to find this site.

Keep in touch with stephen, we are trying to make a reunion at the end of this year, I am sure we can find some things to talk about, its a bit worrying to find that some of the good Characters we sailed with have crossed the bar.
But we can have a good bash.

I have been living in Azerbaijan for 18 years now, climate suits me old bones and the Voddie is good, makes a change from Rum.
send me your email and we can keep in touch.

Best reagrds,

Spence
I just found this forum tonight since I am a bit bored offshore in Thailand and did a google on Conon Forest which was one of my favourite trips in Denholms (twice). I sailed on both Maree and Lomond as AB and recognise some of the names on here - particulary Steve Card and Bill Harvey.

My fondest memory of Golfito was a run ashore which ended up with the E/R PO Kenny Asquith smacking the 2nd Cook in Capt Houghtons cabin - tea and tabnabs all around at 10 the following morning!

We also had an incident in Martinique where the ship was occupied by a bunch of striking dockers and cleared in very short order indeed by some french troops.

Some good runs ashore in Long Beach as well - and certainly remember hitting the power station in Antwerp on Maree since I had just come out the starboard maindeck door as we landed on the dolphin about 20m in front of me!

mistermac
Old 13th May 2014, 19:58

My location
When were you on the Conon Forest ?. She was also one of my favourites
though also did the Caledonian and Atholl Forests. Good ships and good runs.
Old 13th May 2014, 21:53
Active: 1977 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
When were you on the Conon Forest ?. She was also one of my favourites
though also did the Caledonian and Atholl Forests. Good ships and good runs.
Joined in Vancouver in January 1977 with you as mate John, loaded in Gold River and a few other small ports ending up with a timber deck cargo in Tahsis which we took around to Baltimore & Philadelphia. The liner board and paper pulp were discharged in Antwerp and Bremerhaven if memory serves correct. You departed on the continent and Mike Wray? took over as mate - Malky Thorpe relieved Macvicar as master.

You may recall we had a little incident in the Panama canal which involved a lot of lights going out.

Then back to Tampa for phosphate for Japan and into drydock for installation of cell guides and change of cranes.

Finally paid off in Gothenburg after 9 months - no way I was leaving in case they sent me to another bloody OBO!

Did another trip on her later on the Tilbury to PG container run with Dick Hills as Bosun and Fred Bramely as PO

Cheers
mistermac
Old 4th June 2014, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercargo View Post
Hi X-Denholm

Just registered on the Forum.

I stood by and did the Maiden voyage on Loch Maree. Eventually returned as Master and had several years onboard.

Fond memories od Dave Bissett and John Deakin.

(I no longer have the gold tooth)

Bill Harvey
HI Bill , my first foot on Maree was in Scotsoun on the clyde fitting out bay ,a ship visit for all Denholm cadets,i remember you well a great captian and social host sorry to hear of your tooth , that was your trade mark from that era atb
Old 10th June 2014, 20:10

Anyone remember the Christmas trips to Vancouver on the 'Mandarin Special' from Japan. We were welcomed with a pipe band.

Also swapping frozen chickens for cheroots and cray tails from Japanese trawlers loading at anchor off Yemen.

Bill
Old 13th June 2014, 10:33

My location
Hi Bill,
Yes I remember the two Vancouver Xmas trips from Shimizu, I think we can both honestly say they were good times.
I think we ate very well and had the top hand in Bartering, whether it be Paint or old 'Cargo Brand'

Where you on for the first trip to Vancouver, when we chased two guys who tried to Burgal the engineers rooms, chased ashore by 'Big Ian' the Deacon and myself, into the warehouse sheds, where one man stopped and said leave me alone I have a Gun!!!! Just as well as we were all out of Breath, Back to the bar for a cold beer.
Remember the Sand Dancing on a Sunday afternoons.
Or re arranging the chair that the female Panama Pilot sat in, only to be caught on our knees when she quickly returned.
Table dancing in Corinto! Yes Good Days
I always have a smile on my face when I think back to the Loch Maree trips and Characters.
Drop me a line some time, I am still planning a trip to the UK in October / November.

Best regards,

Spence
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:53

Posted on Buried at sea Thread.
Apart from the usual requests from third parties for burial at sea, my most emotional was burying Ivor Thomas at sea on Trans Pacific crossing. Ivor was a GP1, and died of natural causes onboard 'Loch Lomond' on 2nd July 1978. He was buried the same day. He was from Llanelli, so I carried out part of the service in Welsh.

Last edited by Supercargo; 22nd July 2014 at 20:39..
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:44
Active: 1960 - 1990

Sorry to hear about Ivor he was a good shipmate brgds kev.
Old 11th August 2014, 22:21
Active: 1977 - 1984

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercargo View Post
Posted on Buried at sea Thread.
Apart from the usual requests from third parties for burial at sea, my most emotional was burying Ivor Thomas at sea on Trans Pacific crossing. Ivor was a GP1, and died of natural causes onboard 'Loch Lomond' on 2nd July 1978. He was buried the same day. He was from Llanelli, so I carried out part of the service in Welsh.
I was a first trip deck boy on the loch lomand at the time. I remember getting up on the Sunday morning and not believing what was going on.. Bit much for a first tripper..
Also the storming by the dockers in Martinique. Little Sammy was the night watch man, it was all hear say for me tho as I managed to sleep right through it.. Tear gas and rubber bullets? Or so I heard. I do believe it was a Mr Mcalister who nearly got us shot by trying to take over a small boat in Martinique. Correct me of I'm wrong on that one.. Again for a first tipper I could not have asked for a better ship or crew to sail with.. Happy days..