Historic Warships Birkenhead - Ships Nostalgia
02:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Historic Warships Birkenhead

User Tag List

Old 3rd June 2006, 01:16

News just received that HMS Onyx, part of the now defunct ( thanks to property developers )( depict person spitting ) Historic Warships Trust at Birkenhead is to leave Merseyside,

She has been bought by a Lincolnshire Firm for 100.000.

At least she is not being scrapped. It looks like the end of any rescue attempt. I hope a good home is found for the other vessels.

Chris.

Last edited by Santos; 3rd June 2006 at 01:27..
Old 3rd June 2006, 14:27
Active: 1968 - Present

My location
When I lived in the UK I visited these ships on several occasions with my young children (not that I needed them as an excuse).
I am assuming the 'developers' (spit) are turning the adjacent warehouses into the
usual pile of overpriced flats. I was thinking that what a shame it was that they (spit) could not have incorporated the ships into their development plans? I would imagine that it would have been an attractive selling point if the ships had remained, or at least some of them.
I guess, however, that the thought of losing an acre of land to allow for parking was too expensive (or money losing) for the developers (spit) to consider.

I am pleased to hear, at least, that HMS Onyx now has a future.

My mouth is dry, I am going for a drink!

malcolm
Old 3rd June 2006, 21:06

Thanks Malcolm,

You are absolutely spot on.

Chris.
Old 4th June 2006, 21:29

Hi everyone,

Seems Teletext was wrong, Onyx is going to Barrow, to become part of a Submarine Heritage Centre, which is good news for Barrow, but bad news for the Wirral. Lost out again.

Chris.
Old 23rd January 2010, 21:55

Apart from a nice car park and what looks like a lot of subtle plastic windows the site still looks the same.....I wouldn't live there for a big clock. There are dreams of a massive development ( Canary Warf style) but seeing is believeing doubt that will happen in the near future as you say if the museum had been incorporated things would look better. I think the Frigate is up by the old Clan Line bearth , The U -Boat is at Woodside cut into sections as a museum, your right about the sub, I think there was a mine sweeper but where now ?? Really Merseyside lacks good maritime museum space when you consider the history. Albert Dock is ok but poor on the shipping side when you count the number of companies that were based there.
Old 23rd January 2010, 22:06

liverpool side there is plenty of empty docks? its a shame all they are now is a big scrap yard.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:13

Wirral Borough Council lacks insight and fore-thought and have been no different since the Tower was dismantled in New Brighton, almost 100 years ago, or numerous other heritage sites which have been squandered. So much so, that I often wonder if the councillors are all in-bred, their short-sightedness is so extreme. Wirral is a great place to live, sadly let down by poor local government, the scale of which only begins to become vividly apparent as the years roll by.
Old 9th June 2010, 06:55

I was wondering if any members might have an update as to the fate of HMS Onyx in Barrow.What happen to the plan for a Submarine Heritage Centre ?. The poor old Plymouth is now looking rough laid up in Vittoria Dock Birkenhead. The Bronington has a list, and is falling apart (Decks are shot) rumor had it the the Bronington was going to be taken over by the YMCA as a project! but it will take a very brave(and rich)organization to take her on. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th June 2010, 13:49

I guess no members live near Barrow ???
Old 13th June 2010, 15:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass Rose View Post
I guess no members live near Barrow ???
Try sparkie2182

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 13th June 2010, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Try sparkie2182
Thank's Ron, I do have a personal interest in Onyx,very sorry to see her leave the Wirral and nothing heard of since? thanks again
Old 13th June 2010, 17:19
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1970

Is one of the reasons for the plight of these historoical ships, is the health and safety issues to the public visiting?
Old 14th June 2010, 16:05
Crab Fat

No Michael nothing to do with H&S the reason is PEEL HOLDINGS KICKING THEM OFF THERE BERTH, AND THE WARSHIP PRESERVATION NOT LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME

Stephen
Old 14th June 2010, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain61 View Post
No Michael nothing to do with H&S the reason is PEEL HOLDINGS KICKING THEM OFF THERE BERTH, AND THE WARSHIP PRESERVATION NOT LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME

Stephen
Not quite right,yes peel holding kicked them of the berth,but there was no viable offer of any new berth ,as the Trust had to be off the berth in a very short time.
Old 14th June 2010, 23:13

My location
Hello Compass Rose.........

Oxyx has been longside in the Ramden Dock in Barrow for some time now.
She is entirely deserted and looks forlorn to me.
The Submarine Heritage Center seems to have submerged but an email to the Submariners Association which is based here in Barrow should return with more info.

I will endeavour to post a couple of pics of Onyx for you in the coming week on this thread.

Best regards......

S2182

P.S..........An email to this site may prove worthwhile also........

http://www.dockmuseum.org.uk/
Old 15th June 2010, 07:00

Thank's very much for the reply S2182 as you say the poor old Onyx looks forlorn, sad to see her like this, let's hope there is a future for her and that Barrow has an attraction to be proud of.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:58
Crab Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass Rose View Post
Not quite right,yes peel holding kicked them of the berth,but there was no viable offer of any new berth ,as the Trust had to be off the berth in a very short time.

I know a few of the old trust members, and they had been informed of peel holdings decision for a long time ( just didnt say anything to the staff & volunteers)

I hope they manage to sort out ONYX for you

Stephen
Old 15th June 2010, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain61 View Post
I know a few of the old trust members, and they had been informed of peel holdings decision for a long time ( just didnt say anything to the staff & volunteers)

I hope they manage to sort out ONYX for you

Stephen
I see were your coming from Stephen, the board were not know for there ability for keeping staff & vol's informed.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:30
Crab Fat

Barrow has got its sea festival this weekend hopefully there should be plenty of picsof ONYX on this site this weekend
Old 18th June 2010, 13:47
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 1989

My location
Hi found a link for HMS Onyx, it appears to give you a interactive tour of the sub.
http://www.baesystemseducationprogra...tive-learning/
cheers
Degzie
Old 18th June 2010, 17:39
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Wonderful link - Clydebuilt as well!!
Old 29th September 2010, 11:47

My location
Looks like the end may be in sight for HMS Bronington she has been moved from the old Clan Line Berth in Vittoria dock to Gilbrook Basin West Float. Ready for demolition?

http://www.irishseashipping.com/phot...gton180910.htm

Dave
Old 29th September 2010, 12:12
Crab Fat

Hi Dave Looks like they will do the same as they did with Kellington cut her down to the waterline then lift the rest ashore its a crying shame 118 of these fine ships built and they cant even look after one

Stephen
Old 29th September 2010, 13:54

My location
Once HMS Bronington goes it will only be a matter of time before HMS Plymouth meets the gas axe and Peel Holdings will have their docks nice and empty, the Tank Landing Craft is already sitting on the bottom, U534 has been cut up and is now exhibited at Woodside Ferry, Hms Onyx has gone to Barrow. The last vestiges of the Historic Warship Trust gone due to the greed of the dock owners, also why the Manxman is going to scrap as no berth could be made avaiable for her ! I passed Birkenhead docks yesterday and on the vast dock estate I counted FOUR ships where there are berths for a four dozen. What a disgrace.

Dave
Old 29th September 2010, 16:07
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrwarwick View Post
I passed Birkenhead docks yesterday and on the vast dock estate I counted FOUR ships where there are berths for a four dozen. What a disgrace.
Yes but what a bonanza for a property owner/developer like Peel Holdings, once those messy ship things are out of the way and the smelly docks can be filled in and built on.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.