Lookout focsle bell signals in Blue Funnel - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
12:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lookout focsle bell signals in Blue Funnel

User Tag List

Old 13th February 2008, 15:22

During my years with Blu Flu, 1955-1961, I was only aware of the standard 1 bell for starboard and 2 for port. That's not an "official" opinion but I think you lose the 5 pounds
Old 13th February 2008, 15:37

Capt T,

Rossie is not the one you have the bet with is he? He seems to be the only one who disagrees!
Old 13th February 2008, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt T View Post

I am certainly affable and possibly strange too, but it wasn't me! Flintshire was Glen Line and when I sailed with them it was with an all Chinese crew on deck, in the E/R and in the Catering Dept. I was in fact Senior Midi on Flintshire in 1963 when she was possibly on Voy 3 or thereabouts. I left Ocean Fleets in 1975 to seek command elsewhere as it was then a requirement of the good old BoT for their nautical surveyors to have at least 2 years in command of a FG ship. No chance of that in Ocean at my tender age in 1975 and of course their fleet number was in decline and promotion was non-existent.
Capt T

Capt T
yeah we took over from the chinese crew,nearly all the crew were off the peisander,it was a bit of a shock going from six cranes and a few dericks ,to 22/24 derricks, ive checked my book and the skipper was definately a surname of thompson , a very nice guy even if he did have full inspection every day which kept this peggy on his toes
Old 15th February 2008, 00:12

Capt T,
Quote:I left Ocean Fleets in 1975 to seek command elsewhere as it was then a requirement of the good old BoT for their nautical surveyors to have at least 2 years in command of a FG ship. No chance of that in Ocean at my tender age in 1975 and of course their fleet number was in decline and promotion was non-existent. Unquote
You had the presence of mind to take that step. There were many of your contemporaries that never believed 'the China' would go under and never got command. They pursued the BF dream and it never happened for them. Very very sad.

Bill
Old 26th April 2013, 21:51

you are 100 per cent correct that was the blue funnel way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt T View Post
I have been trying to get a 5 bet off a mate of mine for years now. No luck. I contend that in Blue Funnel, contrary to "normal" practice, if a light was seen on the starboard bow, the focsle lookout signaled this by TWO strokes on the bell. A light to port warranted ONE stroke on the bell and right ahead was three strokes (as per normal).

Usually, the signal is one for stb and two for port, but Blue Flu was different.
I reckon they had a good reason, as a light to stb could mean action on your part al la ColRegs and was thus more important than a light to port. Another explanation is more circumspect; as we often carried Chinese on deck and STARBOARD has TWO syllables, hence two strokes on the bell, while PORT has but ONE syllable and warrants but one stroke on the bell.

All this went out the window by the late 1960s when ships got bigger and the accomodation, and hence the wheelhouse, moved further aft and out of earshot of the focsle bell. The lookout was moved aft onto the monkey island and very soon after that onto the bridge wing. No doubt nowerdays he sits in a big leather chair with his feet on the console.

Anyone know where I can get an "Official" answer eg, copy of Company Orders or similar. I tell you, my mate is NOT going to part with his 5 just on any old recollection !

Of course, I may be totally wrong, but I think not.

Capt T
Old 27th April 2013, 13:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

When cadet on the Benwyvis I was on the wheel one night when the foc'sle lookout, who happened to an Aberdonian first trip deck boy, was called up to continue his lookout on the monkey island as we were starting to ship heavy spray. The next thing I hear down the voice pipe by the helm was "ding ding". The new chum was advised that there was no need for that type of communication but that he should just advise the wheelhouse by describing what he sighted. A little later comes a high pitched Aberdonian accent down the pipe again - but this time it was, "there's twa wee lighties on the starboard bow"
Old 28th April 2013, 12:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

That of course should have read "twa wee lighties on the port bow".
Old 28th April 2013, 21:14

Although I have no written evidence it was definitely 1 to Port, 2 to Starboard, and 3 for Dead Ahead. The logic of this was explained to me, as someone stated earlier in the thread, that the strokes coincided with the syllables in the words.
A difficulty I encountered early on in my career at sea was, when do you stop ringing the damn bell when there are lights springing up all around you, as when entering the Straits of Dover, or Liverpool Bay?
The first time it happened to me, as a JOS I was reporting lights all around me, ringing the bell furiously until the chippy came on the focsle to prepare for anchoring and told me to desist, that no one one the bridge was taking any F******notice.!
Old 29th April 2013, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Although I have no written evidence it was definitely 1 to Port, 2 to Starboard, and 3 for Dead Ahead. The logic of this was explained to me, as someone stated earlier in the thread, that the strokes coincided with the syllables in the words.
A difficulty I encountered early on in my career at sea was, when do you stop ringing the damn bell when there are lights springing up all around you, as when entering the Straits of Dover, or Liverpool Bay?
The first time it happened to me, as a JOS I was reporting lights all around me, ringing the bell furiously until the chippy came on the focsle to prepare for anchoring and told me to desist, that no one one the bridge was taking any F******notice.!
Never Sailed in Blueys but on all the ships I sailed in and many different companies it was always one for port two for starboard and three for dead ahead,worst place for keeping up with lights all around you for me was in the Med like you when I was sos on the Anglian I didnt stop ringing every two minutes could have got a job as a campanologist.
Old 29th April 2013, 20:38

Most ships had a phone on the focsle, and some officers of the watch required the lookout man to report sightings by phone as it was more exact, eg "Loom of a light fine on the starboard bow"
By the way there was a good thread about 'Loom of lights ' a couple of years ago.
Pat