Masters We've Sailed With.... - Ships Nostalgia
21:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Masters We've Sailed With....

User Tag List

Old 15th February 2010, 16:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

Masters We've Sailed With....

I know, I know, that certain Masters pop up from time to time when discussing other threads but I appeal to SN supporters to begin placing their comments about individuals they have sailed with in this one new thread. Even if you've made comments before, why not repeat them here where they will all be in the one place?
Some of the comments I've seen refer to Captains Beavis, Niblock, Palmer, Donald, Parsons, WW Davies, Sturgess, Stewart, Campbell and Simpson... I am sure there have been others over the years!
This would be a good time to collect all these observations and allow for follow-ups but in the one thread. In the beginning, I am asking you to repeat yourself but as time goes on some interesting comments, pro and con, and bound to appear. Please, however, no libel! But the truth can't be actionable!
If this thread gets going, I will suggest a separate site for Chief Engineers.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:08

Great thread Alistair.I put an Ahoy out for Captain "Freddy" Hale, whom I sailed with on the Ivybank circa 49/51, have only seen one mention of him in SN, he was a great guy, a very fatherly type to all us "young bucks"would love to know his history since that time but long gone now I should imagine
Old 15th February 2010, 17:38
ELDER MEMBER

Masters i have sailed with,well here goes..
capt mountain,only with him 12 weeks before he was lost at sea,maplebank
,,,,,, thorne good ,left the apps alone.
...,,, Warne,bit of a nutter had a gun and once threatened a pilot.
,,,,,, Holland Clydebank best master I ever sailed with .
,,,,,mendus eastbank,cant rember much
,,,,, Frosdick ISipingo ,got on well with him
,,,,,TS robertson,Fleetbank,again no problem
,,,,,JR lynch,Ettrickbank excellent master,allowed one to do their job
,,,,,r Angle ,Forresbank,feeding not too good and tight with the pencils.

Not one among them with whom i would refused to sail with.

jim
Old 15th February 2010, 18:55

old men

here,s my list:
jack donald- nutter
john sturgess-salt of the earth
freddie feint-dsciplinarian
C B Davies-another gent
harry allen- ok
louis wigham- ok
angus mcbain- another good guy
don young- good guy
that,s my opinion,but they are all in their own way responsible for the good times i had, and will never forget,with bankline.

Last edited by dick burrow; 16th February 2010 at 10:24.. Reason: missed one,sorry
Old 15th February 2010, 21:48

My location
My List is as follows
Capt Smith - big gruff Geordie who called all his Apps "Army Dodgers". He was a panic merchant on the bridge and had all the mates in a panic too, He had a brother who was a Super in the fifties.

Capt Eaddy , a New Zealander, always accompanied by his Calcutta born wife who looked like Mrs Simpson. A kindly man who was a POW for most of the war having , I believe, been on the Speybank when she was taken as prize by German Raider ATLANTIS in 1941. Capt Eaddy was promoted Super after his ship the Eskbank was involved in a collision with the S.T. Davanger in Beira Roads in 1954.

Capt Hale was a good seaman and Navigator who did not suffer fools gladly. He treated all Apps kindly and was good to me. He could tell a good joke

Capt Henry Allan I sailed with on his first command. He relieved Capt Eaddy and he completed nearly three years before he got home. He had a son who was walking and talking before he saw him. A good Master and good to Apps.

Capt. T.S. Roberson - a fine chap and I sailed with him twice - he was married to an Australian Nurse. crossing the Pacific he had a heart attack and we landed him and his wife at Tahiti.

Capt. Thorne was a kindly soul always playing golf when he had a chance.

Capt Beavis - a huge man from Ventnor - always making good ship models - he made one of the Teakbank which must be on the I.O.W. somewhere. His wife would not go to sea with him and near wrecked the Teakbank going close to the cliffs under Ventnor showing off his ship to her - but that is another yarn. He was the first person to whom I gave an injection of penicillin - upper and outer quadrant .

Thats my lot
JC
Old 15th February 2010, 22:09

My location
Henry Allan - Sprucebank twice. One complete copra run and one coastal. I had the feeling he was happy to see me again. After my second trip on the Spruce I did a trip on the Fremantle Star and happened to be on the wharf in Sydney when the Spruce arrived. He spotted me and and yelled down for me to get my ass on board ASAP and fix the radar cos his sparkie was bloody useless. Fair to us all but the feeding wasn't brilliant.

Alan (Dad) Newton - Weirbank. Two back-to-back copra runs. I would gladly have sailed into the gates of hell with him.

Doug (?) McCaffery - Sprucebank. Copra run. Another excellent and fair master.

Chas. Holbrook - Weirbank. Coastal. An interesting experience.

Maybe my viewpoint was different and maybe I was treated differently because I was a sparkie.

Last edited by K urgess; 15th February 2010 at 22:11..
Old 16th February 2010, 00:27
Forever a Seaman
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Thank God this thread is only about Bank Line masters!
Old 16th February 2010, 00:31

My location
Can;t remember any as they never came on the plates or in stoke hold
Old 16th February 2010, 01:09

Capt. Hale Echo John Campbell's comment.

Capt.R.J.Owen Pass. No printable comments.

Capt A.Stafford-Watts Starchy and a bit aloof.Fair.First class seaman.
Saw him at his best when we carried away
during a very violent Hooghli bore.Would always
defend the interests of his ship. Great man.

Capt J.W.Greig Twice. No printable comments.General and
unmitigated joy when he fell down No 3 Hatch
while screaming abuse at the elderly 1M,broke
a leg and was carried,groaning,ashore.

Capt Beavis Good Master.There have been earlier comments
on his bullying of Mates but as an Uncert 3M he
gave me a lot of help.

Capt.J Williams Difficult to comment.Only in the "Lochybank"
for a couple of months:the dirtiest ship I ever
sailed in.

Capt.King Quietly efficient and a good seaman and ship
handler.Took a detailed interest in the
training of Apprentices-had me doubling up
with the Mate on the AM 4-8 throughout so
that by the time I left I was able to handle
star-sights without a qualm.

Capt.J.Reed
Capt.C.S Palmer Few comments, as I was only a couple of
months with them on passage home.The
attitude of the latter towards his Mates
and Apprentices crystalised the view that
my future was not with Bank Line

David.E

Last edited by David E; 16th February 2010 at 01:22..
Old 16th February 2010, 03:39
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
B J Peterson Inverbank, good guy, didn't give us appies any grief.

Len Thorne.Marabank. Allowed the mate to persecute the appies (maybe he didn't know). Must have changed a bit from all the good things I hear about him. Loved to play golf, remember his whiskery nose.

A J Whiston. Teviotbank. A bit strange, I think he enjoyed a gin or two? Didn't give us any hassle, but then again I don't think he even noticed us!
Old 16th February 2010, 05:36

Lidstone...His first trip as Master on the Eastbank. My fist trip so I didnt know anything from anything but in retrospect he did let the Mate Bully us...
McLean. On the Foylebank and later on the Cedarbank. Seemed to be a quiet man and he let the Mate from Stornaway as well look after the Appys..
Howe..The least said the better....14 miserable months on the Fleetbank...
Williamson...He had his wife with him and he could be cranky....Didn't seem to like anyone, least of all apprentices. 16 Months....

They all just added to my experiences in life.....
Old 16th February 2010, 07:26

My location
Captain Lumsden - Ben Line - the biggest arshole in the past industry (my opinion obviously)!
Old 16th February 2010, 08:22
Active: 1962 - 2011

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSCOTTY View Post
Captain Lumsden - Ben Line - the biggest arshole in the past industry (my opinion obviously)!
Hey Scotty - Didn't know you were with Ben Line! Did you ever meet up with John Phillips, not as captain.
Are you still with HAL?
Old 16th February 2010, 09:03
ELDER MEMBER

[
Surprised To See That So Far Wilkie Rutherfords Name Has Not Surfaced,he Was Mate On The Clydebank When I Was Senior App ,best Mate Ever

Jim
Old 16th February 2010, 09:08
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Bankline Masters - frail human beings like us all... temporarily elevated to God's status.

The long term Masters - usually well meaning, misguided often, insensitive, dull, plodding, rarely inspired or creative. The worst of them drunks, tyrants, or simply social misfits hiding away from the real world, and taking refuge as a big fish in a little bowl. Often tortured souls, venting their frustration in weird ways with the weakest in the firing line, and some of the more bizarre antics providing moments of comedy and light relief for the rest of us bored participants.

There are always exceptions to a general rule, and these Masters were easily recognisable as benign, avuncular figures, great to sail with, and who had come to terms with all aspects of the job. Few and far between, unfortunately.

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 16th February 2010 at 09:34..
Old 16th February 2010, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm S View Post
Hey Scotty - Didn't know you were with Ben Line! Did you ever meet up with John Phillips, not as captain.
Are you still with HAL?
I sailed with John Phillips (Southampton area) quite a lot on Ben Line container ships where he was Chief Officer.After Ben Line he used to pay us a social visit in Southampton when he was on the Isle of Wight Ferries
Old 16th February 2010, 10:34
Department: Electrician
Active: 1972 - 1974

Frank Abell, Elmbank 73/74 no problems and very approachable.
Old 16th February 2010, 14:49

Springbank; Harry Barber
Forresbank JB Leslie
Beaverbank W Langworthy
Weybank Patrick Grist nil point
Moraybank JJ Reed
Larchbank E Browning
Ernebank PH Thomas, I finally worked out what P.H. stood for
Forresbank PD Howell
Sprucebank J Ball
Nessbank T Scott NJ Munro.
Roybank J(?) Paul
Cloverbank Harry Taylor and R J B Collinson

Are any of the above still on the go?

Eddie Bl.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:11

I had an ex Bank Line Master as mate/relief Master on a coastal tanker.
I never hear him mentioned on any Bank Line threads, his name was Frank Parsons.

Regards Robert
Old 16th February 2010, 17:11

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Bankline Masters - frail human beings like us all... temporarily elevated to God's status.

The long term Masters - usually well meaning, misguided often, insensitive, dull, plodding, rarely inspired or creative. The worst of them drunks, tyrants, or simply social misfits hiding away from the real world, and taking refuge as a big fish in a little bowl. Often tortured souls, venting their frustration in weird ways with the weakest in the firing line, and some of the more bizarre antics providing moments of comedy and light relief for the rest of us bored participants.

There are always exceptions to a general rule, and these Masters were easily recognisable as benign, avuncular figures, great to sail with, and who had come to terms with all aspects of the job. Few and far between, unfortunately.
Obviously, they were a total cross-section of humanity. It must have been quite scary, being an app going on board for the first time, not knowing what to expect. Or, did the Masters' reputations go before them? Fore-warned was fore-armed!
Old 16th February 2010, 18:15
Active: 1953 - 1981

Bank Line Masters....

Here's my list and thoughtful appraisal after many years.....!
Fleetbank......Palmer Aloof, but gave the Apprentices the equivalent of 10/- in Buenos Aires to have a good time!);
Fleetbank........Kemp from St. Ives. (My job was to cart the box from bridge wing to bridge wing during stations for him to stand on so that he could see over the wind deflector);
Laganbank......Niblock (Big Northern Irishman; very impressive!)
Ettrickbank.....Williams (A Durban-based Irishman with a dark side who went to pieces every time he sailed and left his wife ashore. Mrs. Williams was most attractive and they had two daughters, Susan and Lila who often did the SA coast with us. His recreation at sea was boat building.)
Inchanga.......B.H. Jackson OBE (Bullshit Jackson or Jacko; what more can I say? His recreation was making money using the ships float as his personal piggy bank. Affected a monocle)
Inchanga.......Harry Allan (from Ballymena; Brought the Inchanga social life to a peak of enjoyment for all. Quiet disciplinarean; We would do anything not to offend or get on his wrong side)
Inchanga.......Williams (See Ettrickbank above. Mellowed a bit from my previous sailing with him.)
Carronbank.....Peter Stewart (From one of the Banff port towns. Very steady; very adjusted; Never saw him sweat.)
Laganbank......Commander Freddy Feint RN (retd) (Church parades every Sunday in Sydney; Supported his officers to get shore invitations; "It doesn't matter what you say as long as you have the correct accent!")
Laganbank".... Barry Mitchell (His cousin really was the Master of the QE2. Poor Barry. Gin was beginning to wear him down and ultimately it did. Had a lousy Mate who despised him and didn't do him any good)
Ernebank....... Donald Campbell (Skye-man. The prefect sailor -captain.)

After that, the Masters I sailed with are too personal to comment on!

Last edited by Alistair Macnab; 16th February 2010 at 18:18..
Old 16th February 2010, 18:42

Capt.J.Townsley,Moraybank '54,'55.
Good trip,remembered him from an incident in Galveston when the big noisy pilot took the wheel and he threw him off and put secunny back on.I was on the movement book.
Capt.C.S.Palmer,Irisbank '55,'57.
Good Mates and Engineers but he was an aloof disciplinarian,tetchy atmosphere.
Capt.R.A.Leach,Levernbank'57
Far East run.He sat the three Apprentices down in his cabin and gave us a fatherly lecture on how to behave when we went ashore in Japan.Did we take any notice? Good trip
Capt.B. Beavis Fleetbank,Dec.'57
Great Christmas
Capt.J.Wilson,Ivybank Feb/Mar '58
Strange trip home as sort of acting 3rd Mate.I had finished my time but by then was wearing glasses so he had two of us on watch.One to see and the other one to know when to shout for help.Don't think he ever came out of his cabin.Crazy ship,recall we nearly missed the Straits
of Gibraltar
Old 16th February 2010, 18:54

I have already submitted my list of Masters....

Am I the only living survivor of a long trip with Charlie Howe?....

Has anyone ever sailed with a Mate called Syd Mallory?

Would be interested to find out anything about him....

TC
Old 17th February 2010, 00:10
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post

By jove Alan, that was beautifully put! Just goes to show that us ex Bank Line guys are capable of not only waxing lyrical, but with a philosophical bent as well.
Most acapevious.
Old 17th February 2010, 00:15
ELDER MEMBER

One Master I Missed Out Was Capt Duncan Who Was On The Maplebank When I Joined Her,he Left Before We Sailed And I Never Heard Of Him Again.

Jim