Ships Nostalgia banner

Bibby Line

167K views 417 replies 121 participants last post by  Arthur Talbot 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I started on this site not too long ago, mainly looking at the Brocks entries as I served my time with them and that site is particularly strong. One thing surprises me though is that there does not seem to be any Bibby Line members or not owning up anyway.
Is there anybody out there who was with Bibby, I sailed with them 1968 to 1973 or thereabouts.

Rgds

DerekT

#358 ·
Hi Alan,
Hope you and Sheila are in good health. From memory the building was owned by Martins Bank, which later became Barclays. As you rightly say Bibbys occupied the whole of the 7th floor as well as space in the basements. As a matter of interest other shipping lines which had offices in the same building were Moss Hutchisons, Athel Tankers and Booker Line. That's about all I can tell you Alan.
Best Regards
John

#359 · (Edited)
Hi John, thanks, glad to report we are both well. Hope you and yours are in good health.
Thanks for info. I always thought Bibby's owned the building because they occupied the top of it.
Did Martins become Barclays, or did Barclays take Martins over?.

Remember when Bibby's ran their own travel agency to obtain cheaper flights for crew? Members of the public sometimes made it to the 7th floor. I remember there was a desk with a few brochures on it(Jester).
I ran out of leave once and being local, Roy Bateman asked me to come in and do some office work, mostly ships radio accounts. That was a strange working environment. I remember borrowing a stapler of someones desk, the owner nearly had a heart attack!
Then there was the secret removal of cups and mugs from draws followed by the race for the morning tea trolly to get the best biscuits.
One day I was head down in some accounts when I became aware that everyone was standing up, this was because Mr Bibby had just walked through the office.
I found the whole amosphere a bit "Mathew and Son" or perhaps like something from Dickens.
It really confirmed my dislike of 9 to 5 jobs and I was glad when my next ship came up.

Best Wishes
Alan

#361 ·
Thanks Ken and nice to know you are still on board.
You could be right about Harold Bibby. Research shows that Martins Bank was a private London Bank taken over by the Bank of Liverpool in 1918. It was Bank of Liverpool and Martins and ended up as just Martins Bank. Its quite likely that important local business men like Bibby would be involved in such a venture.

Its supposed to be the only private bank to have its HQ ougtside London.

Best Wishes

Alan

#362 ·
New 5 Star Hotel for Liverpool

Hi all
More news just reported in the Liverpool Echo. Martins Bank Building is to be converted into Liverpools first five star hotel. Cost £40M to achieve. Will include fine dining etc. Wonder if you will be able to get genuine "scouse"

Best Wishes

Alan

#363 ·
Thanks for the report in the Liverpool Echo Alan regarding the conversion of Martins Bank Building to a five star hotel. Who would have thought all those years go when we were called into the office to be told what ship you were being posted to, that the building was destined to be a hotel.
Regards
John

#364 ·
Quite right John.
Just wondering where they are going to get 5 star guests from(Jester)
All reports from people who stayed recently, indicate that the Adelphi (white elephant) hotel has slid further down. Poor catering, no heating in rooms, cold water etc. Its a shame someone does not do it up.

Further to Martins Bank Building, the Nations gold reserves were reportedly moved to the basement in WWII. I suppose it could have been moved onto ships quickly for USA if Adolf had invaded.

Best wishes

Alan

#365 · (Edited)
The last time I was in Liverpool Alan we stopped at the Hampton by Hilton opposite the Albert Dock. I would not say it was 5 star but not far from it. The reason we picked the hotel was because of the location but also we had stopped at the Hampton by Hilton in Memphis when we visited Graceland, and have to say both hotels were excellent value. As for the Adelphi it has been in decline for several years now so your comments about the place does not surprise me. The whole of the Liverpool waterfront now has hotels to cater for all needs so I do not see a problem in filling a five star hotel. My loved one had never been to Liverpool and the first time I took her she fell in love with the city. I also showed her where I grew up in the Dingle, which came as a bit of a culture shock to her but we all have to start somewhere.
Regards
John

#366 ·
Hi John, glad she loved the city but I'm surprised there was anything left of Dingle to show her, thought it had all been swept away.
Yes I have to agree there are some good hotels, we stayed in the Premier Inn on the docks just around the corner from the Beatles Story. The rooms were massive and the breakfast was quite good although we couldn't get a room for £29 (Jester)
Another good place is the Holiday Inn in Hoylake on my side of the river. Right next to the Railway station so straight into Liverpool Central, very convenient.
Hope you get to visit the city again shortly

Best Wishes

Alan

#367 ·
Hi John
Further to earlier, just had a "walk" around the Dingle on Google Maps and I must say it looks very smart and well cared for, especially the estate between Beresford Road and Garswood St with good views down to the Mersey. It looks as though plenty of money has been spent on these houses.

I just wonder if they were once "play streets" like were my Auntie lived. No through traffic was allowed so as to make the streets safe for kids.

Info on the net says that "Bread" was filmed around Elswick St and Garswood St and must say the view on Google looks very familiar.

Best Wishes

Alan

#368 ·
I remember Beresford road in the late 60's and early 70's when you could look down the road and see all the ships in the docks and at anchor in the river. Joined Bibby's in 1971 and stayed with them until they flagged out. When I joined my second company, the superintendent wouldn't believe my previous salary. Bibby's were awful wages but good in other ways and I would never say anything bad of the company or the people I sailed with.

#369 ·
Bibby 1974 - 1982

Hello,

I'm David Richards and I joined Bibby Line in 1974 as deck gadget sailing on Herefordshire, Lancashire, Hampshire and Liverpool Bridge before going to Riversdale for 2nd Mates ticket.
Then in Silver Bridge, Dart Atlantic x 4, Wiltshire, Devonshire and Hampshire before Mates ticket at Fleetwood.
Came ashore and worked as a Harbour Master in the Isle of Man.
Joined the crew of my local lifeboat in 1984 and have been Coxswain since 2002.
Just wondering if there are any Bibs guys here from that era?

#370 ·
David,
When did you join Herefordshire? I joined her in mid-December 74 in Salonika, Greece as C/O. Captain Waldie was in command at the time. We went around the Cape with a load of buses and cars from Italy to the Red Sea. After that, it was ballast passage to Indonesia to load manioc for Antwerp - my last deepsea voyage!

#372 ·
Herefordshire

David,
I have to confess that after all these years (40) I am having difficulty remembering you. You have set me off trying to recall some facts about the voyage - perhaps you can fill in some blanks for me. The ports were Salonika, Savona (or was it Genoa?), then round the Cape to Assab, Port Sudan, Djibouti for bunkers. We went to Panjang, the location of wasn't known to any of us on board. We loaded manioc in bulk as you describe and then sailed to Antwerp via Durban for bunkers. I think Panjang is located at the southern tip of Sumatra on the Sunda Strait, but I could be wrong. (Lat 5.27 S Long 105.18 E)
The outward cargo of buses and trucks was not the easiest to load. The charterers weren't keen on the old-fashioned concept of lashing the cargo in the holds and tweendecks. I protested vigourously which led to a flaming row between me and the captain until he went down below and had a look for himself. Because we needed the no.2 deep tank for ballast, we finished off with a lot of cargo on deck. The buses had to be stowed athwartships to get them all on and were overhanging the sides. We couldn't stow the derricks in their crutches at no.4 hatch as a result. The captain wouldn't have them lashed in their crutches up the Stulcken kingposts. The end result was that one of them broke loose as we rolled our way around Cape Aghulas and embedded itself and associated gear in some of the buses.
Crossing the Indian Ocean, the Chippy decided that the time had come to let go the port anchor as we were (in his mind) approaching port. Given that we were doing 17 knots and in about 15000' of water, his chances of living to see the ship brought up were somewhat slim. I was just handing over the watch to the 3rd. mate at the time when the Serang came charging up to the bridge to tell me what was happening. We charged up to the focsle in time to stop Chippy from swinging his hammer at the windlass brake and removed him in a none too gentle fashion. He had cleared away both anchors ready for letting go. The captain had stopped Chippy's tap a few days beforehand and DT's were setting in of course. No doubt you will remember standing watch on his cabin while he coped with large green fenders etc. trying to come in his cabin window.
The loading of manioc in Panjang was slow and very dirty. in the middle of loading we had to vacate the berth for a few days, which was a welcome chance to get the ship cleaned up.
The 2/O was Paul Bridgeman who was going for his Mate's ticket and then on to the Humber Pilotage. 3/O was a good lad named Jerry(?)
R/O was Mike Goulbourne with his wife Barbara. There were two other wives on board and two children. The Purser was Alan Reid. I can't remember any more names.
I had another job lined up so that was my last deepsea voyage.

Regards,
Ken

#373 ·
Sitting here puzzled as to why anyone loading cargo in a Greek port would then proceed to discharge ports in the Red Sea via the Cape of Good Hope, rather than via the Suez Canal. Please enlighten me.

#375 ·
Doh! I should have checked before I posted that question. For some reason (possibly a mental confusion with the 6-Day War) my memory thought it was a 6-year war in 1967 and not 8 years long.

#378 ·
Neil just got back on this site and have seen your reply. I paid off the Staffordshire at Rastanura, the ship then went on to Thailand. Alan Kennedy relieved me as Electrical Officer. Alec would be the Cheif Engineer and Mike Horn would be the old man. I must admit I do not remember any of the other names at that time.

#390 ·
Ahem - I haven't been on here for a while!! Sorry to miss your post. Yes, I remember Alan joining, I joined with Alec the Chief earlier. Mike Horn was a Gent, of the old school, lovely bloke. Did the Second join with you? Tony someone? Didn't seem to get on with any of the engineers at all, which spoiled things a bit. Still, all water under the keel!

#379 ·
Its a small world as I was trawling the sight when I saw a post from a lekie. Coincidence as I recognise the name Mike Horn.
I met him in my post seafaring career ( Lekie Reardon Smith Line 1969-1973) running my own retail newsagents business in Berwick-upon-Tweed.
I was attending NFRN ( National Federation of Retail Newsagents ) meetings in Alnwick, Northumberland approx. 1980 when I met Captain Mike Horn of Bibby Line who if I remember rightly was running his family newsagents in Alnmouth, Nr Alnwick.

#380 ·
مسافر;1268330 said:
It's Abu Dhabi!

If this was 6 June 1973, I suggest you loaded in the UAE not Saudi as this would 'fit' with his highness the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan attending the ceremony for the first shipment of Mubarraz crude oil and later visiting Japan - to see

NB: I may have been one of your students at Brunel Tech (Rad 177).
Hi
Thanks for supplying all that excellent detail on that particular voyage.

The first class I took when I joined Brunel was RAD180, you were a bit earlier than that although you were probably there in your second year or perhaps doing radar.

Best Wishes

Alan

#391 ·
Bibby Line Reunion 2017

Not sure whether members are aware but there is going to be a Bibby Line Reunion weekend to be held in Liverpool 3 ~ 5th November 2017. Details can be found on the Bibby Facebook pages and availability will be open until early October.

Geoff Valentine
Ex Radio Officer

(==D)