The Fridge Flat. - Ships Nostalgia
19:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Fridge Flat.

User Tag List

Old 17th May 2019, 09:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Question The Fridge Flat.

The Fridge Flat, Just came into my head after 40 years.
What went on there, what was the plant used for? For me, it was just another place in the E/R with machinery in it.
Old 17th May 2019, 09:28

Depends what you were freezing. If a reefer then likely there would be more than just a fridge flat. Possibly compressor room, brine room(s), manifold centre and various other pieces of kit around the vessel. If what you are referring too is the domestic fridge the flat contained the compressors, condensors and distribution control gear for the domestic chill and freezer capacity as well as possibly the air conditioning but again that might have been located in another flat closer to the accommodation. Does that aid the memory.
Old 17th May 2019, 09:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by uisdean mor View Post
Depends what you were freezing. If a reefer then likely there would be more than just a fridge flat. Possibly compressor room, brine room(s), manifold centre and various other pieces of kit around the vessel. If what you are referring too is the domestic fridge the flat contained the compressors, condensors and distribution control gear for the domestic chill and freezer capacity as well as possibly the air conditioning but again that might have been located in another flat closer to the accommodation. Does that aid the memory.
I was mostly on tankers, though in my early days I was Bridge Messenger, and used to have to find various personnel in engine rooms. Being GP on tankers was my main thing though. I don't recall the Fridge Flat being a clearly defined area in the engine room. No sign saying "Fridge Flat" for example.
Old 17th May 2019, 11:33
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

We referred to an area in the ER as the fridge flat on the first VLCC I sailed on. It contained the compressors and condensers for the deep freeze, meat and veg rooms, as well as the accommodation air conditioning. Not a separate room, just part of a level containing other kit as well.
Old 17th May 2019, 11:56
Active: 1955 - 1960

On the Australia Star [1] the refrig engine room was level with the main engine tops, but separate from it.

Held the main CO2 compressors, condensers, oils separators, a small store / workshop, brine mixing tank and entry to the brine room, which held the evaporators, brine pumps and brine distribution manifolds.
Also two J.E.Hall methyl chloride domestic frig compressors, and a separate room housing the CO2 bottles and the fire protection system.

Each refrigerated cargo space had its own heat exchanger [brine coils] and dedicated air circulating fan.

In answer to the OP question 'what went on there' - not a lot!
Old 17th May 2019, 12:33

Fridge Flat, Purifier Flat, Workshop Flat, Boiler Flat. They were all there, but not actually named as such.

Some reefer ships had the fridge machinery completely elsewhere. The 'Polar' boats from Uiterwyk Lines had the reefer machinery within the mast houses.
Old 17th May 2019, 13:30
Active: 1969 - Present

On the ACT 5 the freezer flat was on the Starboard Side upper deck of the Engine Room, Stahl Screw Compressors,Hamworthy Dolphin Brine Pumps.
No freezer watches as the fridge alarms were tied into the machinery plant.
Only ship l sailed on with a twin deck control room.

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 17th May 2019, 23:46
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
The Fridge Flat, Just came into my head after 40 years.
What went on there, what was the plant used for? For me, it was just another place in the E/R with machinery in it.
Fridge flat on banana boats was almost no go area - frosty had slippers at entrance so no dirty bootmarks. Engineers didnt monitor anything as 2 frosty engineers, their problem!
MV Scythia, 5th engineer Ray overflowed cooling water system treatment dosing tank and made a mess of perfect green-painted floor plates. Had to scrape and repaint them in his own time!!
Dannic.
Old 18th May 2019, 00:12
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Fully refrigerated Rangitane had separate fridge engine room and three watch keepers .machinery space was teak decked and more lab like than engine room.
Only drawback was that the main sanitary storage tanks were in the CO2 bottle store space and there had been an overflow on the previous voyage .
This third Freezer constantly tripped the float switches to ensure tanks never repeated that act in my time.
The Union co freighters only had Freezer and cooler space for shipboard crew catering but the watch engineers insisted that they had keys to same to enable temperature checks at all times.
Many a delicious ham and cheese sandwich arrived on the engine room plates for the motorman and I on the night 12/4.

Bob