Globtik Tankers - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
04:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Globtik Tankers

User Tag List

Old 11th May 2013, 20:46
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveedmond View Post
.i think the 2nd mate was paul stillitano memory not as good as it was nearly 40 years ago
Stillitano - now that's a name I remember. Not from Globtik though but was he an ex BP Nav Cadet? I certainly sailed with a Nav Cadet P Stillitano on British Seafarer in 1971.
Old 11th May 2013, 21:15

globtic

hi paul do you know if paul stillitano came from wigan
Old 11th May 2013, 21:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
hi paul do you know if paul stillitano came from wigan
Sorry no idea
Old 11th May 2013, 21:31

globtic

ok pal just trying to get in touch with people who sailed on globtic in the 70ts prob a lot dont know about ships nostalgia cheers
Old 22nd May 2013, 21:03

hi again mickey sorry i took so long to reply but forgot password hows your old man i,ll try and get those photos out soon
Old 22nd May 2013, 21:08

is this steve who fell in off jetty waiting for the boat back to the "tokyo" after a trip ashore in japan
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:43

Smile globtic

hi ragbag . yes i was the one who fell in the drink off the jetty had a few too many beers . lucky enough cant remember who but someone took my camera off me just before i fell in . what is your real name and what was your job. i sailed on the tokyo and londons last voyage in japan. i left the merchant navy after that got a job at heinz still there yet 34 years later.had a great time on globtic you obviously remember me are you still in merch.can you remember crew names .hope to hear from you cheers .
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:38

hi steve my name is Ian Gore but was only known as scouse when on tokyo and it was me who pulled you out .a few names i can remember are Robbie Willis,John Hosking , andColinMcCool two othersscousers called Alfie and Luke
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:35

Smile globtic

hi ian first of all i would like to thank you for possibly saving my life .i recognise your name but cant put a face to it .are you still in the merch .cant remember those other names you mentioned .
Old 24th May 2013, 19:38

alright steve not in the merch got out inabout 76/77 been ashore since ,had a few jobs since ,last 18yrs been working as a joiner,how are you doing?
Old 1st June 2013, 22:49

Quote:
hi i sailed on the tokyo twice 1974 and 1979 on the london 1976 1977 i recall a few names franky cobb bosun billy potts brian bush allan wells.taffy whos real name was gareth ryan williams.rob armstrong phil upton who was a very good friend of mine.big dave bryant.2 deck boys cant recall their names i think one was called phil goddard we used to call them sunbeam and moon beam.i remember a little chap called joe young and deffo biscuit the dog with his lifejacket.i think the 2nd mate was paul stillitano memory not as good as it was nearly 40 years ago ha did anyone sail with globtic on these dates.
Hi Steve,

Paul Stillitano here.

I remember a G.P. called Steve who lived in Wigan. We used to scare the crap out of each other on 12 - 4. Joyce, my wife, who was sailing with us at the time got us started by sneaking up behind us with the compass binnacle cover over her head - while we were talking about ghosts.

From then on it was open season in seeing who could scare the other the most!

Finally, we had to call a truce - I was really worried that one or the other of us would end up having a heart attack.

If this was you, I'm sure you'll remember it.

I live in Westhoughton now, but at the time lived in Upholland.
Old 1st June 2013, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgee View Post
Stillitano - now that's a name I remember. Not from Globtik though but was he an ex BP Nav Cadet? I certainly sailed with a Nav Cadet P Stillitano on British Seafarer in 1971.
Hi Paul,

Yes, we sailed together on the Seafarer. She was a happy ship.

I was a Cadet at the time, together with Bob Etherington and there was a Kuwaiti and an Iranian Cadet on there too. I seem to recall the Kuwaiti was called Abdul and the Iranian was Hassan.

The 2nd Mate was Mats Irlandsson, and the mate was M. (Malcom?) R. Duncan.

If I remember rightly, you were toying with an idea of improving lifeboats and one of your ideas was a kind of saucer-shaped craft that would zip down a ramp and skip across the waves - I have often wondered if it was your ideas that spawned the free-fall boats that are still used today.

Funny how I can remember all that, but not where I was last week!
Old 1st June 2013, 23:08
Super Moderator

""Hi Paul,

Yes, we sailed together on the Seafarer. She was a happy ship.""

Paul

Good to hear from you after 42 years! Rather than speak here I shall private message you shortly with reminiscences. As for improving lifeboats, your memory must be better than mine!!
Old 15th June 2013, 16:44

Smile globtic

hi paul .just got back from holiday 1 week in corfu followed by 1 week cruise .yes it was me on 12-4 watch I remember the scary stuff .I remember many years ago I was at butlins and im sure I bumped into you do you remember .we use to walk on the bridge wings naming different topics going through the alphabet .see you soon.
Old 21st June 2013, 14:57

Hi Steve,

Not been on for a while myself.

Yes, we did meet in Pontins Camber sands or Butlins in Ayr - I think it was Pontins. Great place for the kids (although I must admit, I enjoyed it too!).

I still travel a lot, so for me a good holiday is one spent at home. Mind you, I would like to go on a cruise - maybe when I retire (5 years more).

I do remember the alphabet thing - kept us awake during those long watches in the Doldrums. That was the only drawback on the big ships - weeks of boredom, followed by a few days of feverish activities.

Do you remember when I got you with the walkie talkie hidden by the fridge? You came in from calling the 4 - 8, expecting me to be waiting with something to scare you. You visibly relaxed when you spotted me on the bridge wing - at which point I started groaning into the radio!!!

Good days, looking back.

ATB,

Paul.
Old 7th January 2014, 17:29

hiya i sailed on globtik from 73 ..[ colin blyth ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicH View Post
Hi Ken.. only just spotted this today so apologise for the late reply.
These are the names of guys I actually sailed with in my 6yrs with Globtik:

Captains; Doug Hindle, Ken Mackay, A. Maclean, Ian Sadler (and trish), Charles Scudamore, Tyler.

Deck offs; Geoff Gregory(c/o then master), Richard Hunt, Tim West(c/o then master), Peter Torr, John Latka, Pete Humphreys, Peter Mills, Dave Berry, Malcolm George, Ernie Lamb, Paul Tillman, Pete Mason, Paul Stillitano (luigi), Godwin Batteren (nigerian),

Engineers; Stan Pascoe, J. Rennison, Ian Mackay, J. Smith, George Simpson, Tom Blackburn, Keith Standon, Bill Hanson, Jack Emmett, P. Williams, Dick Thewlis, Brian DeWolf, M. Oldfield, Bill Smith, Pete Gregory, P. Fuller, G. Adams, Geoff Peacock, W. Reid, I. Bryant, Wee Jimmy Henderson, Colin Blyth, J. Cliff, M. MacMonagle, Paul Bennett (taken off by americans after head injury), Barry Bennett, Denis Haig, Steve Royle, Paddy Parker, Graham Allen, Kevin Finnegan,

Electricians; John Fay, T. Durkin, Billy Tarr, Peter Weir, Alan Tyrell.

Cat/offs; Stan Thompson, Colin Cox, A. Saunders, Keith Marsh

Radio/offs; Ray Halpin, P. Chadwick, M. Gannon, E. Artingstol.

Crew; Brian Bush, Billy Potts, Jim Brown, Frankie Cobb, Tom Ferguson, Paddy ? (irish bosun),

I can picture a few more but just cannot recall their names, like the Welsh pumpman (Taffy ?) who stayed on the Tokyo I think for well over a year so as to reclaim income tax. Another pumpman, big Dave ?. Another bosun, from London area, well spoken guy.

The last couple of years I didn't keep the records going and I regret that now because there are a lot more names I haven't included.. but, maybe someone who reads this may be able to add to the list.

So.. how many of the above can you remember ??

Cheers for now

Vic
hiya am colin blyth..
Old 12th January 2014, 20:10

Hi Ian look forward to seeing the photos
Old 14th January 2014, 19:36

globtik

hiya all..

I sailed on Tokyo/London 73/75..j/eng and 4th..
[ colin blyth.. ]
Old 3rd October 2014, 01:32

Globetik Venus

How did this unused letter sheets end up in my papers here in Norway?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Globetik Venus brevhode.jpg (40.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 31st October 2014, 12:34

Globtik Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidar0 View Post
How did this unused letter sheets end up in my papers here in Norway?
I had the fortune to sail on the Venus for a few months, prior to the Le Havre incident -- At that time the Master was Norwegian , as was the Second Officer -- I would suspect that is how the leterheaded sheets arrived in Norway - The skipper certainly was from the Oslo area.
Old 25th January 2016, 19:15
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1978

Hi All,

Sipsoo finally back after having to re-register, now going by the username of Nessie.

Does anyone have any footage of the old gals? I saw one on youtube of the Tokyo being launched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xFNcDNgOrU

There are a few more pics being posted on the tinternet these days but could you dig any out of your old treasure chests lads..

Thanks

Ken aka Nessie
Old 25th January 2016, 19:38

My latest eBay win..

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...NIQMwiLAShhMGE

Sorry the links a bit long but there was no way to embed it...

Nessie
Old 13th April 2016, 00:47

Hi, Dave Phipps here, for Bill Rhatigan, info on Walter Bennett from Glasgow. I was an Apprentice with Walter in Glasgow, we joined the MN together, I went to Chevron tankers and he went to Globtic. When he was made redundant from Globtic he came ashore and worked as an engine builder in the bus central repair depot in Glasgow. He got a better paid job in a railway repair depot in Glasgow but was very badly hurt when a heavy boagy fell off a gantry and landed on top of him. He was only saved by a passing forklift truck which swerved in and lifted the load off him after a few seconds. He received a big compen payment but was never able to work again. He and his wife bought a b&m in Ayr Scotland and I believe are still there. A really nice guy, very sad.
Dave Phipps., Ex Chevron, Ocl,containerships.
Old 2nd April 2017, 01:43
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Question Globtik Tokyo

Hello,

I am hoping that some of you may be able to assist me with my enquiry re an Australian crew member by the name of David P Thomas. I have been told that he was on the Globtik Tokyo and that at sometime he had to take the ship out of harbour to begin it's journey as there was a problem with the Captain.

Not sure if the Captain was sick or just AWOL.

David was also, again, so I have been told, on the Troll at sometime.

Hoping that you might be able to point me in the right direction as my source has been a little bit vague.

Love Ships Nostalgia and reading the remarks/stories of those who have been involved with the sea.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:16

I was on that ship when it happened, it was a US submarine that casevaced him. Believe he was painting bulkheads in the engine room when he slipped and hit his head and then went a bit loopy and had to be subdued by some of the crew until help could arrive.