Members no longer posting. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Members no longer posting.

User Tag List

Old 9th April 2019, 21:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Guess we are now looked on as silly old men reminiscing about days gone by and as a sort of history lesson.
Our tales have been told ad nausem and we hear the cry "Oh no not again" and that far away look.
I wrote of my time sailing and was told it may make good reading if you were to publish it but to be honest, it would only have a very limited appeal and I did it mainly for the grandchildren and maybe those that come after I go to "Fiddlers Green"
Old 9th April 2019, 22:14

I stopped to post photos and comments in SN due to the famous "survey busy, blah, blah", I will continue when the website operates in a normal way.

Regards

Tomi.
Old 9th April 2019, 23:53
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1974

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Maybe that is part of the reason but my own view is that many members became disenchanted with the new, seemingly disinterested, ownership of this site, followed by lots of Korean spam which seemed to go unchecked for a long time. Then there was the problems with the gallery, disappearing photos etc, and the schism which saw a lot of frequent posters move over to the Ships History site.
I still like SN, and look in every day, but I must admit to getting bored with some of the input these days.
I suppose it is up to us to start new and hopefully, interesting threads.
I've got to agree with you Pat.
This site has become pretty boring and no-one in admin appears to be driving it.
Although I still look in almost every day, it definitely doesn't have the input it used to have. I'm getting much more out of the Blue Funnel Facebook page currently than I'm getting out of this site.
Maybe we should invite Bill Davies back as he was always good for a laugh.
Oops!! that may be a little too controversial.
Regards Phil
Old 9th April 2019, 23:59

My location
It is sad to see that some of the long time members are not enjoying SN as much as before . I still think that is a great site . It has given me and I am sure many others a lot of enjoyment in seeing the posts that have brought back so many happy memories of the ships we sailed in and the blokes we sailed with . I just hope that it will continue for years to come . So come on guys get posting . Regards . Alex C .
Old 10th April 2019, 01:09

Alex I really enjoy posting my photos and comments in SN but when you are really fighting against impediments or viruses embedded in the website itself such as the already boring and famous "Busy try again shortly or blah, blah" this gets boring and sometimes one can lose patience.

Regards

Tomi.
Old 10th April 2019, 02:22
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveychile View Post
Alex I really enjoy posting my photos and comments in SN but when you are really fighting against impediments or viruses embedded in the website itself such as the already boring and famous "Busy try again shortly or blah, blah" this gets boring and sometimes one can lose patience.

Regards

Tomi.
Is there not one moderator/ supervisor/ official representative of this site that can provide some meaningful information about this debacle. And to advise us what positive action is being taken .

Bob
Old 10th April 2019, 02:24

I go on other sites and the same thing is happening, as one sage said all the tales have been told; no more young blood going to sea. Just read an article about a new training ship for seamen in the Philippines; will take 200 cadets with 40 crew, will have to wait for a long time before they are able to put up posts of their sea time.
I went to the Vindicatrix Training ship in Gloucester in 49 and get the Vindi news from our association, only thing is every three months I get news of more crossing the bar; including some old mates. But all of us still have our memories to keep us sane, and sites like this one let us know that we are not alone; and those memories are shared by many and enjoyed by all; including repeat tales never mind how tall.
Tugger
Old 10th April 2019, 04:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveychile View Post
I stopped to post photos and comments in SN due to the famous "survey busy, blah, blah", I will continue when the website operates in a normal way.

Regards

Tomi.
I stopped posting photos 12 months ago, sadly the charm has worn off as there is a strong risk that the owners will simply pull the plug at any time and all our photos, stories, comments, experiences will be lost. It's a terrible shame as there used to be a strong camaraderie on the site.

The forum is similarly no fun any more, all discussion being basically one man competing with another as brexit rips our little world apart. The same people smother the forum in their over bearing views.

I'd say overall that SN is pretty well playing in extra time.....
Old 10th April 2019, 08:21

To all intents and purposes I stopped posting photos during the 'big photo' and temporary (although we did not know that at the time) gallery loss. I now rarely post photos here and only 'expendable' ones at that.

The foregoing is disappointing in that SN has a far greater readership than the alternative which has the advantage of larger picture size and no limit on daily posting. SH also has the appearance (at least) of better maintenance albeit a smaller membership.
Old 10th April 2019, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saul View Post
I've got to agree with you Pat.
This site has become pretty boring and no-one in admin appears to be driving it.
Although I still look in almost every day, it definitely doesn't have the input it used to have. I'm getting much more out of the Blue Funnel Facebook page currently than I'm getting out of this site.
Maybe we should invite Bill Davies back as he was always good for a laugh.
Oops!! that may be a little too controversial.
Regards Phil
Phil, I guess many members dont know who Bill Davies is, or dont recall his alleged misdemeanors. Some believe that he still lurks under one of his many pseudonyms, but I dont believe he would waste his time.
Although I never met Bill I have spoken to one or two ex Blue Flue crew who sailed with him, and by all accounts he was a good seaman and genuine bloke. However, he apparently did not suffer fools gladly and always wanted to have the last word. Hence, I suppose, his habit of using sock puppets to bolster his arguments on here.

Meanwhile, it may be of interest to you to learn that Odyssey Works is now almost completely demolished, little now remains of Holt's mighty empire in Birkenhead, and the only ships to be seen in the port are 2 laid up RFAs and the odd coaster discharging steel products at the Clan sheds.
Best regards
Pat
Old 10th April 2019, 10:23

The great pity about Bill Davies was Blue Funnel deckhand to command of the then world's biggest tanker in "Universe Ireland" he had genuinely more to offer the site as a respected seafarer rather than his dishonesty.
A crying shame to put it mildly.
Old 10th April 2019, 20:33
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Crossed swords with Bill Davies on a few occasions and he is only one from the originals who made this site the challenging place because of the strong opinions he held.
Guess we are becoming a rare breed !!!! !
Old 10th April 2019, 20:58

I always enjoyed Bill Davis,s posts never knew he had other names on this site.
Old 10th April 2019, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
I always enjoyed Bill Davis,s posts never knew he had other names on this site.
I found it difficult to believe at first. Bill and I came from the same hometown, attended the same school and both of us joined Blue Funnel at age 16 as deckboys, although Bill was five years ahead of me.
When the allegations surfaced that he had been posting under various names, I couldnt believe it but the ,then, site owner, Steve, actually telephoned me and gave me chapter and verse of Bill's rule bending, I was gobsmacked.
It was a shame. As others have said he was a very knowledgeable seaman who had accomplished much in his life. Latterly he was, maybe still is, a farmer in Shropshire, who occasionally shipped out as master on VLCCs.
Old 10th April 2019, 22:39

My location
Does anyone Know want has happened to Bobby.
Old 10th April 2019, 22:52
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1974

My location
Quote:
I found it difficult to believe at first. Bill and I came from the same hometown, attended the same school and both of us joined Blue Funnel at age 16 as deckboys, although Bill was five years ahead of me.
When the allegations surfaced that he had been posting under various names, I couldnt believe it but the ,then, site owner, Steve, actually telephoned me and gave me chapter and verse of Bill's rule bending, I was gobsmacked.
It was a shame. As others have said he was a very knowledgeable seaman who had accomplished much in his life. Latterly he was, maybe still is, a farmer in Shropshire, who occasionally shipped out as master on VLCCs.
Hi Pat,
Bill Davies was the type of individual who always had to be right, hence the reason for him inventing all those alter-egos so that it appeared that others supported his views, regardless of how ridiculous they were.
Just goes to prove the dangers of remaining at sea too long, as it's a young mans game and I don't think I ever came across anyone over 40 who did not display some type of idiosyncrasy in their character.

Across the spectrum, from old bed-room steward to old-man, they were always a little weird and whether it was down to the life of isolation or the grog, who knows but life at sea certainly high-lighted those flaws in peoples character.

Sorry to hear about the demise of Odyssey Works and Birkenhead docks, as they were the type of institution I just assumed would go on forever in my youth. I'm coming over to the UK in August so will have to try and re-visit my old haunts just for old-times sake but guess I will be in for a shock.

Regards Phil
Old 11th April 2019, 03:37
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
I think the ' Great Gallery Drama of '17 ' had a lot to do with it getting so quiet.... what with the old owner of the site then going and setting up in opposition and taking half the trade away... I thought that a rather cynical move.

That plus most of us have already told all our yarns at least once... not that that matters as most here won't remember having read it before anyway....

I miss the quiz stuff and the ships needing identifying ... that seems to have all but disappeared.....
Old 11th April 2019, 03:51
Spongebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
I think the ' Great Gallery Drama of '17 ' had a lot to do with it getting so quiet.... what with the old owner of the site then going and setting up in opposition and taking half the trade away... I thought that a rather cynical move.

That plus most of us have already told all our yarns at least once... not that that matters as most here won't remember having read it before anyway....

I miss the quiz stuff and the ships needing identifying ... that seems to have all but disappeared.....
With the old owner still on this site while promoting the other the whole situation is becoming like a rear guard action.
Old 11th April 2019, 08:54
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Regarding Bill Davies, he was not alone, at that time (long ago) there was several members on the site who had multiple accounts and one of them is still posting now via his main account (not me). A moderator who has now passed away told me that the main reason for him quitting as a moderator was in his words (the goings on behind the scenes)............

Cheers Frank
Old 11th April 2019, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
KS was a strong poster as was Seamen38 so, what has become of them.
Alas to the disappointment of a few (or possibly many) I can confirm that Seaman38 is still alive and well having just returned yesterday from a months dancing in Tenerife. I had advised that I was going to be absent. When I am away I never look at a computer and my telephone works on steam, if there is anything important happening in my personal life it will appear on my wife's gadgets. Vacation time is for relaxing, reading, talking to people and in our case dancing.

I am surprised to learn from a member that I was never listed as a member.

For Laker Captain,(and others) keep writing your about your memories and experiences. When at sea and ashore in the marine industry we considered our lives normal and accepted the dangers of our profession, such as hurricanes, cyclones, anti cyclones, Malacca Straits pirates, collisions, onboard fires and many more incidences as normal fare of our profession. When talking to people who say 'What did you do?' and you tell them some of your experiences, without embellishment, they find it interesting, as one Banker said to me, 'I thought my job was interesting, now I realise it was boring' he was not alone in those comments throughout the years.

I would say to anyone who writes for their own satisfaction to keep their passion alive and hope that their grand children may one day read them, contact your local University Librarian (or the one near where you spent your childhood) as your jottings are all part of history. My own ramblings about what I could recall from age 5 to 27 (120,000 words) are lodged with Hull University, it is not necessary to have been to University, my own formal education virtually finished at the age of 13. However I have always been an avid reader

Last edited by seaman38; 11th April 2019 at 10:51.. Reason: Old age!
Old 11th April 2019, 11:18
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Seaman38,

Only posted that - Seamen38 was not a member as that is the name I was quoted on the post.
Glad you are well and full of life.
Maybe you could be the new judge to take over from Darcey Bussell on Strictly Come Dancing!

Hawkey01
Old 11th April 2019, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkey01 View Post
Seaman38,

Only posted that - Seamen38 was not a member as that is the name I was quoted on the post.
Glad you are well and full of life.
Maybe you could be the new judge to take over from Darcey Bussell on Strictly Come Dancing!

Hawkey01
Thanks your message, I'd rather take over Darcey Bussell! but guess it's a case of dream-on
Old 11th April 2019, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
Regarding Bill Davies, he was not alone, at that time (long ago) there was several members on the site who had multiple accounts and one of them is still posting now via his main account (not me). A moderator who has now passed away told me that the main reason for him quitting as a moderator was in his words (the goings on behind the scenes)............

Cheers Frank
Interesting Frank.
I have long held the view that there are some members with multiple identities on here. It is noticeable that one or two posters pop up in support of an initial posting, but rarely do they post any stand alone postings. They function solely as a little support network, with no original thoughts of their own.

Root em out and kill em, I say
Old 11th April 2019, 21:02
Spongebob

I would say to anyone who writes for their own satisfaction to keep their passion alive and hope that their grand children may one day read them, contact your local University Librarian (or the one near where you spent your childhood) as your jottings are all part of history. My own ramblings about what I could recall from age 5 to 27 (120,000 words) are lodged with Hull University, it is not necessary to have been to University, my own formal education virtually finished at the age of 13. However I have always been an avid reader[/QUOTE]

I have been an avid writer ever since I bought a computer 18 years ago and I never miss an opportunity to place on paper any of the experiences or thoughts that come to mind.
The great majority of this scribe lays dormant in my hard drive with the hope that some day some one might dig to its depths and expose the meanderings of this old man who may have been their Great great grandfather!
A fair bit of my jottings are imbedded on this site, one of the reasons my hackles are raised when SN's existence is threatened, an emotion stirred that is as powerful as a mother reacting to a critisism of her child or that of a woman scorned.

One day Molly Woppy I might be discovered.

Bob
Old 12th April 2019, 03:24
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Wink don't give up the ship

I have nothing to offer regarding the ships mentioned in this post, but I encourage members to continue following this site because you never know what will happen. Sometimes the new information about a ship you knew nothing about will incite your interst and start you on a new quest. Other times (as was the case for me) you will find present in a post something which at first seems only tangentially related to your search but ends up being a very close clue. So, sorry I have nothing to add but encouragement...
Oops! also gratitude to all the members who continue to help perfect strangers in their search for the important stories that make up our collective international and personal nautical heritage.