What method is used to tie/lock the containers ? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What method is used to tie/lock the containers ?

User Tag List

Old 24th March 2009, 17:18

My location
I sailed for thirty years from 1975 - 2005, and on container ships on and off from 1981. Amongst those was the SS Pittsburgh, one of the old Sealand container ships that had been converted out of an old WW-II troop transport. on those old wrecks we secured the containers with "stacking frames", that combined the twist locks with catwalks for the longshoremen to climb about on. Those stacking frames were just aweful. The catwalks were terribly rickety and had a bad habit of falling off when the container cranes dropped the stacking frames into place, or when someone was walking on them.
Old 24th March 2009, 19:54
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 2005

My location
I also sailed from 1975 till 2005 when I retired. The summer of 1983 I was on the SS Pittsburgh. I was lucky since I did not have to walk about the deck during cargo operations and the dropping of the twist-locks and lashings it was hard enough to try to sleep through the din.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:30

My location
Hi Klaatu83 and Surfaceblow, both with over 30 years each at sea, must have your sea legs by now eh......Al