Container ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Container ships

User Tag List

Old 10th November 2005, 08:47

Some funny articles seem to come off container ships
Container M/V Bunga Pelangi suffered 4 overside containers off Littlehampton, W Sussex England earlier this week -- releasing thousands of toy pink hippopotamuses, red turkeys & Christmas decorations -- part of a cargo of 60,000 toys, worth £100,000, lost when ship shed 4 containers in rough seas on way to Southampton on Oct. 31. The Shropshire firm which ordered the toys said locals could keep one each and give the rest to animal charities. Rosewood Pet Products said it could help make Christmas a good one for dogs and cats in rescue homes & shelters.Expect more hippos at W Sussex. From our Correspondent A.L. Griffiths (Fri. Nov. 4, 2005)
Old 7th December 2005, 09:59

hi bob, as a merchant seaman with p&o nedlloyd and o.c.l i can answer that for you. containers did fall quite regularly off the smaller o.c.l boats, i.e, FLINDERS BAY, ENCOUNTER BAY. this especially in the southern ocean. the biggest container ships belong to maersk, and probably have tha holding capacity of about 5 maybe 6 thousand cointainers.
hope this helps.
Old 7th December 2005, 23:54

My location
More TEU's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANE
the biggest container ships belong to maersk, and probably have tha holding capacity of about 5 maybe 6 thousand cointainers.
hope this helps.
You're a wee bit behind Shane, This from an article in Lloyds List by Hugh O'Mahony - Friday August 19 2005

"It is NINE years since the arrival of the first 6,000 teu plus
containership - A P Moeller's K-class. Today, 146 of the ships on order, or
over half of the orderbook, are of 6,000 teu capacity and above.
Samsung Heavy Industries is already set on delivering eight ships of 9,000
teu plus capacity between October 2005 and June 2007, among which will be
eight of 9,600 teu capacity for Seaspan.

And, demonstrating that capacity is moving relentlessly upwards, Hyundai
Heavy Industries has orders for four 107,000 gt ships acknowledged as being
10,000 teu in capacity for Cosco, for delivery by July 2008."
Old 8th December 2005, 00:10

Shane and David,
Similar info was already placed in same thread, just scroll back to the first page and you find some more data on these giants.

What do you think when will it stop. At 15,000 TEU??
There must be a limit, like with the super tankers and to some extend with the bulk carriers.
Old 8th December 2005, 01:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hendrik
What do you think when will it stop. At 15,000 TEU??
There must be a limit, like with the super tankers and to some extend with the bulk carriers.
They certainly seem to be pushing the boundaries at the moment - going for 14 cyl single screw engines giving more than 100MW, huge 135 Ton props, but the big problem is the in port water draught, and even gantry crane reach if they increase the beam to compensate for the restricted drafts .....

And if the ship is designed to ride higher out of the water (more layers of boxes), at her service speed of 25 knts & draught, prop cavitation may be another problem.

But the Lloyds experts says 12,000 teu by the end of the decade .....

rdgs
Old 8th December 2005, 04:03

You are probably right David with an estimated 12,000.
Yet ports will deepen channels as they have always done an no doubt they can get extended reachable container cranes, the design would not pose a problem, however the cost would I expect.
Time will tell. Thanks for your comments.
Jan
Old 8th December 2005, 09:14

I sailed as mate and Master with Sealand who are I believe one of the first if not the first company to encompass containerisation. The TEU is an unusual imperial measurement in a metric world. Most standard containers are either twenty or forty feet long. Sealand were the exception. their standard containers were 35feet long. The ships I sailed on were purpose built for Sealand and fully cellular, however the cells could accomodate either 35's or 40's. The theory I suppose was that we could carry anyone elses boxes but they would find it bloody hard to carry ours!

I believe Sealand held records for both Atlantic and Pacific crossings at the same time, maybe they still do?

rgards
Dave
Old 8th December 2005, 12:09
Super Moderator

Floating Containers

Floating loaded containers can be a real danger to fast, thin plated hulls. They float almost awash and are like half-tide rocks. Normal radar will not detect them in a seaway.

Fred
Old 5th July 2006, 06:19
Géricault walks on water

Hi Ruud,

One for you as a Francophile. I hear very briefly last night on TV news that Helen MacArthur had just cracked a bottle on the biggest containership in the world in Mars*illes. I did not get the name although it was a 3 worder. From the two rapid shots of the vessel it looked huge and dark blue. I got the impression of a rather a fine looking ship. Any news on this?
Old 5th July 2006, 07:45

My location
CMA-CGM Fidelio

Easy

Helen MacArthur

'the biggest containership' in the world in Mars*illes.
Old 5th July 2006, 14:27
Géricault walks on water

Thanks Airds...I did try a short sharp troll of the net but not having the name I came up empty handed...
Old 5th July 2006, 15:01

There are a number of containerships claiming to be the 'largest' at the moment. If you define it in terms of declared teu capacity (which in my mind is the most logical), the five Costamare sisters on charter to COSCO are at the top of the tree at 9,449 teu each. They are COSCO Guangzhou, COSCO Ningbo, COSCO Yantian, COSCO Beijing and COSCO Hellas (the last vessel yet to enter service).

The CMA CGM Fidelio and her sisters are just under at 9415 teu each.

However, anyone reading this thread through properly will have noticed my post on page one which goes on to explain more.

Phil

Last edited by Thamesphil; 5th July 2006 at 15:05..
Old 18th November 2006, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hendrik View Post
Would there be a difference between Gudrun Maersk and Gundrun Maersk??
This must be a mix up.
Is the new vessel with 9,500 TEU (?) already operational?

My info on the Gudrun Maersk is that she carries 7,000 TEU

I spent some time in Lindo Shipyard many years ago.
This shipyard is of course owned by APM and it looks like they are still very much progressing along with those huge boxships todate.
An actual capacity of 9,500 TEU for a Maersk ship with an "official" capacity of 7,000 TEU seems very likely. APM / Maersk is notorious for understating the capacity of these vessels.
Old 18th November 2006, 22:26

18,000 TEU predicted

This paper from the MAN B&W group foresees 18,000 TEU vessels in the future:
http://www.manbw.com/files/news/filesof4672/P9028.pdf
Old 22nd November 2006, 19:58
Capt. Peter J Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
This paper from the MAN B&W group foresees 18,000 TEU vessels in the future:
http://www.manbw.com/files/news/filesof4672/P9028.pdf
Very interesting paper on container ships and their development. I only wish my salary as a container ship captain kept going up in proportion to ship size and inversely to crew numbers.

I also enjoyed looking at your own website Peter, particularly the photographs taken in Norway and Greenland. Many thanks!
Old 19th December 2006, 08:00

The biggest one: Emma Maersk
Length (L.O.A.) : 397.71 Meters
Beam : 56.40 Meters
Max. Speed : 25.20 Knots
Designed Draft : 16.00 Meters (Actual draft is expected to be between 12 and 13 meters)
Capacity : 11,000 TEU
Old 26th December 2006, 17:15

Eleonora Maersk

Third in row of the world's largest container ships, the "Emma Maersk" class, "Eleonora Maersk", will depart Odense Steel Shipyard for her sea trials on january 3rd at 0830 hrs and will be passing the narrow strait "Gabet" at approximately 1030 hrs. An excellent photo opportunity for those able to be there.