Trying to find the Original Picture - Ships Nostalgia
13:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Trying to find the Original Picture

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11th May 2018, 02:39
raingoose raingoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Trying to find the Original Picture

Good morning ,
I am trying to find the original of this picture of my father's fishing boat
"RAINGOOSE " ,a diesel drifter built in 1948 by Cockenzie East Lothian .
Raingoose started her career in Annalong harbour -I believe this picture would be in 1948 /49 as she started to work out of Kilkeel after that . Raingoose is in the background .
I think this picture is from a Calendar - I am wondering if the calendar was produced in Kilkeel or Annalong .
Any information would be most helpful .
My father's name was Commander Eric Oddie DSC ,he was a submariner in WW2 . He built "Raingoose" post war .
I have been researching my father and Raingoose for a number of years -all my fathers documents and family history was lost in a fire in 1956 so any information would be most helpful .
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raingoose in Annalong Harbour - Copy.jpg (215.8 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by raingoose; 11th May 2018 at 02:44..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11th May 2018, 06:06
jg grant jg grant is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,329
Hello and welcome from NZ. My brother lives in Musselburgh and is marries into a fishing family. He was until recently a member of the Musselburgh historical society. I will email him and get back to you. Regards.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11th May 2018, 06:20
jg grant jg grant is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,329
Just checked on the location of these three places you mention. Two in Ireland and the only Millendon I could find is landlocked in W.A.
Anyway, he may know something about Raingoose. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th May 2018, 08:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by raingoose View Post
Good morning ,
I am trying to find the original of this picture of my father's fishing boat
"RAINGOOSE " ,a diesel drifter built in 1948 by Cockenzie East Lothian .
Raingoose started her career in Annalong harbour -I believe this picture would be in 1948 /49 as she started to work out of Kilkeel after that . Raingoose is in the background .
I think this picture is from a Calendar - I am wondering if the calendar was produced in Kilkeel or Annalong .
Any information would be most helpful .
My father's name was Commander Eric Oddie DSC ,he was a submariner in WW2 . He built "Raingoose" post war .
I have been researching my father and Raingoose for a number of years -all my fathers documents and family history was lost in a fire in 1956 so any information would be most helpful .
Thank you
There used to be a Fraserburgh(Fr) registered Raingoose in ther 60,s but I don,t know if it is the same boat
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11th May 2018, 09:26
raingoose raingoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
There used to be a Fraserburgh(Fr) registered Raingoose in ther 60,s but I don,t know if it is the same boat

Hi John ,yes that is her -I traced her through the Scottish harbours -she ended up being broken up in Gourdon . I am at the other end of her journey looking for the source of this picture -taken before she started her fishing -- she fished successfully for many skippers .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11th May 2018, 09:27
raingoose raingoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
Hello and welcome from NZ. My brother lives in Musselburgh and is marries into a fishing family. He was until recently a member of the Musselburgh historical society. I will email him and get back to you. Regards.
Thank you ,that would be most useful - never know what information can be turned up .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15th May 2018, 13:55
cueball44's Avatar
cueball44 cueball44 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17,504
The only image I can find of the 'Raingoose'. >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (66.8 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15th May 2018, 14:57
raingoose raingoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball44 View Post
The only image I can find of the 'Raingoose'. >
Hi cueball44 ,
Thank you for this image -I actually have this one of her --it was taken infront of the Mourne Mountains ,I believe in about 1948 on one of her first voyages .
The one I am chasing is of her in Annalong harbour, probably about the same time .
Thank you again
Raingoose
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18th May 2018, 21:49
japottinger's Avatar
japottinger japottinger is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by raingoose View Post
Good morning ,
I am trying to find the original of this picture of my father's fishing boat
"RAINGOOSE " ,a diesel drifter built in 1948 by Cockenzie East Lothian .
Raingoose started her career in Annalong harbour -I believe this picture would be in 1948 /49 as she started to work out of Kilkeel after that . Raingoose is in the background .
I think this picture is from a Calendar - I am wondering if the calendar was produced in Kilkeel or Annalong .
Any information would be most helpful .
My father's name was Commander Eric Oddie DSC ,he was a submariner in WW2 . He built "Raingoose" post war .
I have been researching my father and Raingoose for a number of years -all my fathers documents and family history was lost in a fire in 1956 so any information would be most helpful .
Thank you
I have photos of such a boat lying at if memory serves right at Gourdon harbour more or less decaying, pretty sure same boat, will need to search my archives.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20th May 2018, 10:22
cueball44's Avatar
cueball44 cueball44 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17,504
Was there a fishing vessel named Beatrice O'Neill B310 ?. Can't find one with that name anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20th May 2018, 20:04
Bill Morrison Bill Morrison is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 778
Hi Cueball. My 1949 Olsen's Fisherman's Nautical Almanack. Under Ireland / Belfast 310 Beatrice O' Neill (M). There is no reference under the list of British Fishing Steamers over 15 tons (net)
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20th May 2018, 20:10
cueball44's Avatar
cueball44 cueball44 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
Hi Cueball. My 1949 Olsen's Fisherman's Nautical Almanack. Under Ireland / Belfast 310 Beatrice O' Neill (M). There is no reference under the list of British Fishing Steamers over 15 tons (net)
Bill
Thanks Bill. At least I know there was a vessel by that name and reg number now.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to the original grootondermarszeil Tall ships 0 30th September 2017 11:03
The original Maheno thunderd Union Steam ship Co Of New Zealand LTD 24 31st January 2017 09:30
steam tankers 28,s and the original 32,s david freeman BP Shipping 18 24th August 2015 20:15
The original Spirit of Tasmania cambria49 Ferries 1 27th May 2005 13:48



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.