Bankline Musical Memories..... - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
11:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bankline Musical Memories.....

User Tag List

Old 5th February 2010, 23:10
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Curry.Say no more!
Old 6th February 2010, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri445 View Post
Was it famous English organist Ena Baga? Great player of cinema and Hammond organs, she spent 1957-62 in S.Africa.
Bri
Could it have been Cherie Wainer who I believe was S.African and appeared on the ITV version of the 6-5 Special, with Lord Rockingham's XI
Old 6th February 2010, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeywood. View Post
Could it have been Cherie Wainer who I believe was S.African and appeared on the ITV version of the 6-5 Special, with Lord Rockingham's XI
That's the lady, quick Google and recognised her straight away...Thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 15:39

Yes it was and she is alive and kicking in Las Vegas and has been there for the last 30 years with her husband Don who was the drummer in Lord rocks. sadly Don passed away 3 years ago. Cherry and Don were also in 6.5 special and in fact a lot of the ideas were Cherrys in that show even to the poodle on the top of the organ.The last time we worked with Cherry was in the TV studios in Germany with Jimmy Hendicks and he anialated a guitar on stage.Cherry had just released Boy from Iponema, ah those were the days and we email each often, she has remained a great friend.Regards Tony
Old 6th February 2010, 19:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

Cherry Weiner (?)

Yes... I remember she used to be used for 'interludes' between programmes when they had some TV time to fill (Probably because they hadn't sold some advertising time!) She could tickle the ivories of the organ big time and her entertainment value at the Playhouse in Durban was sufficient to draw us regularly back.
I used to bore my British friends when she popped up in TV with "I saw her in Durban!" Remember her husband too. He was rythm backup to her playing.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:15
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 1979

Can't remember which Pacific Islands,maybe Fanning or Washington, but we would pick the shore labour up from one island and take them to another island. they would then go ashore and bring the copra out to the ship for loading. While we were sailing with the natives onboard, they would rig a tarp over the stowed derricks for their sleeping quarters and they would play their guitars and sing their native songs. It was great to listen to under a beautiful starlit sky.
Another memory is, when leaving Zamboanga in the Philippines. There was a very noisey bar at the end of the jetty and as we let the ropes go ready to sail, they were blasting out "Anchors Away"
Strange how some of these things are lodged in the memory forever!!!!!

Old 10th February 2010, 08:44

A Hard Day's Night did it for me...I remember seeing it in a movie house in BA and the tune has stuck ever since...
Old 10th February 2010, 09:00
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Leaving Balboa heading out for the long haul across the Pacific - dozens of US West coast stations would come flooding in for a few days - '' splish splash, I was taking a bath '' , '' He'll have to go '' '' Rubber Ball '' etc Guess this pins the date down as late 1950's !
Old 10th February 2010, 15:41

We were taught some strange Japanese "folk songs"and a little delve in the archives reminded me of "Oh Sho Joji"or similar, picked up in the Yokahama Bar!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img 009029.jpg (126.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 26th February 2010, 08:24

My location
well endowed donkeys

Anyone remember the strange bars in the Argentine grain loading ports - B.A. Bahia Blanca, Ingenerio White etc , and the piano and player were on a platform halfway up the wall? There was a ladder which was difficult to negotiate, especially in the small hours, and it was easier to flick graphic pics up to the lady player! They usually featured over endowed excited Donkeys or similar in order to overcome the language barrier.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:27

Only ever went to "May Sullivans on 25de Mayo,always gave you a little card which said "the first of june will be the last of "MAY"

jim
Old 26th February 2010, 18:13

How about "Its crying time again, you,ll soon be leaving", sung in innumerable bars round the world.
Sailed with a second mate called Tonto, from Liverpool, on the Inverbank, who could make up new, appropriate words to any song at the drop of a hat. The shipboard favourite was Otis Reading,s "Sitting on the dock of the Bay", altered to "Chipping on the boat deck all day, etc,etc"
Old 4th September 2010, 22:18

My location
To those, who run down the good name of Andrew Weir's ''Bank Line''. I dedicate this song by Nancy Sinatra.
These boots are made for walking, That's just what they'll do, One of these days, these boots are goin to walk all over you. I liked this one when I heard it first around the US Gulf ports, late 50's early 60's.
Old 5th September 2010, 10:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stitt View Post
To those, who run down the good name of Andrew Weir's ''Bank Line''. I dedicate this song by Nancy Sinatra.
These boots are made for walking, That's just what they'll do, One of these days, these boots are goin to walk all over you. I liked this one when I heard it first around the US Gulf ports, late 50's early 60's.
Thankyou Charlie my thoughts entirely......................pete
Old 31st October 2010, 17:28
Active: 1975 - Present

When I was with Bank Line in the mid seventies there was a rumour that the - two hit wonder , one man band singer Don Partridge has once been a apprentice in the company. His hits were 'Rosie' and ' Blue Eyes' both top 5 hits around 1968. He toured with Gene Pitney and was still performing up to about five years ago.
He was born in 1941 and if this rumour was true would have been at sea in the late 1950s. Can anyone tell me if this tale holds water. I only ask because I read of his death last month.
Old 31st October 2010, 18:55

Not too sure of the song title now, but remember so clearly the words
'My dearest, my darling, tomorrow is near,
The sun will bring flowers, but sadness, I fear.'
Sailing from Kure on the Asturius after 10 days in heaven!
Sad to see grown men cry. A favourite song in the bars
was 'Davy Crockett', or as the girls sang 'Davy Clocket'
Alas, I can still hear it somewhere in the recesses of my mind.
Old 31st October 2010, 19:43
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarr View Post
Not too sure of the song title now, but remember so clearly the words
'My dearest, my darling, tomorrow is near,
The sun will bring flowers, but sadness, I fear.'
Almost Tomorrow - The Dreamweavers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAe6uImyrr8

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaul View Post
When I was with Bank Line in the mid seventies there was a rumour that the - two hit wonder , one man band singer Don Partridge has once been a apprentice in the company. His hits were 'Rosie' and ' Blue Eyes' both top 5 hits around 1968. He toured with Gene Pitney and was still performing up to about five years ago.
He was born in 1941 and if this rumour was true would have been at sea in the late 1950s. Can anyone tell me if this tale holds water. I only ask because I read of his death last month.
Don Partridge's obituary in this mornings Daily Telegraph, no mention of him ever being at sea

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...Partridge.html
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:03

My location
Call me Mary......

" Those were the days, my friend,
We thought they'd never end,
Sing and dance for ever and a day,
Live the life we choose,
Fight and never lose,
For we were young, and sure to have our way......

Dedicated to all those who sailed happily on the Bank Line long voyages..

( Grateful thanks to Mary Hopkins)
Old 11th January 2011, 19:08

My location
David Lobban

To all the old ex Bank Line officers who loved music....

Try entering ' David Lobban' on ' spotify ' or ' groove shark ' to hear some fantastic stuff...

Happy listening......

Would be interested in feedback
Old 13th January 2011, 16:41

Music

Southbank 1959 we had skiffle group under the direction of Sugar Reeves S App Basher Green App and Bill Beavis App Aperson came on board in Soloman Island Sumarai [i think] and asked if we could place on Sat night.OK we arrived and were asked to play dinner music Sugar wen:t a funny colour and said yes, we did not know any such music,anyway we managedto tone things down and the evening
continued with us being plied with lots of VB for our efforts and this combined with everything else made for a very good evening i wonder if anyone else had a similar experience??

What happended to Sugar Reeves i don:t know but i think that Bill Beavis when:t on to Union Castle then on to Trinity House and finally

Editing a Yachting Mag but that is the last heard, Anymore news anyone?

BASHER Peter Green HAYLING ISLAND
Old 13th January 2011, 17:41
Active: 1953 - 1981

South African Boer Music....

Like many others I was an avid listener to LM Radio whenever I was in the Indian Ocean. We used to vie with each other on the ship as to who would pick it up first. It was, of course, in english and played the sort of music that young people wanted to hear and which the government-controlled South African Radio didn't want to play.

Nevertheless, from time to time there would be a programme of what I suppose was 'South African Country Music' in Africaans with accordion playing. I was told that this was 'tiki drei' (sp?) music. It reminded me of church hall dances in rurual Ayrshire when I was a boy where a 'country band' with accordion would play for dancing Gay Gordons, Petronella, Dashing White Sargeant, Highland Scottisch, Eightsom Reel and other square dances. We even had Jimmy Shand one time brought in at great expense!

The South African accordion music was a bit monotinous but nevertheless brought back memories of home as a two-year trip wore on.
Old 13th January 2011, 19:21

Alistair you can bring back a few memories if you tune into BBC Scotland, go to "Take The Floor" or if you prefer pipe music then tune into"pipeline"
Old 14th January 2011, 09:15

My location
S African Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
Like many others I was an avid listener to LM Radio whenever I was in the Indian Ocean. We used to vie with each other on the ship as to who would pick it up first. It was, of course, in english and played the sort of music that young people wanted to hear and which the government-controlled South African Radio didn't want to play.

Nevertheless, from time to time there would be a programme of what I suppose was 'South African Country Music' in Africaans with accordion playing. I was told that this was 'tiki drei' (sp?) music. It reminded me of church hall dances in rurual Ayrshire when I was a boy where a 'country band' with accordion would play for dancing Gay Gordons, Petronella, Dashing White Sargeant, Highland Scottisch, Eightsom Reel and other square dances. We even had Jimmy Shand one time brought in at great expense!

The South African accordion music was a bit monotinous but nevertheless brought back memories of home as a two-year trip wore on.
Alistair,

I remember the S African ' Africaans' music well, with its lively beat and distinctive accordion sound. Enjoyed it a lot.

What I had in mind when starting this thread was the truly unique experience we all had in the Bank Line, moving around the world as we did, and sampling all the local musical fare - something which never fades. A snatch of music today might easily conjur up some part of the globe visited many moons ago!

Today, of course, there are ' streaming ' internet music sites, offering all the memories. 'Spotify' is one of the best, and ' Groove shark ' is another. Searching can be tricky ( as with google) and it's necessary to hit on the right title or artist, and change it around a bit until you get the required music. The results can be pure magic!

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 14th January 2011 at 09:17.. Reason: spelling
Old 15th January 2011, 12:59

My location
LM Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
Here's some more on LM Radio, taken from a short wave listening booklet which I bought in Liverpool in 1949. There is no publication date. Do you remember also Radio Brazzaville, French Equatorial Africa, also had English programmes? Possibly slightly before your era!
Not much SW listening is done these days!

Bri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan-110115-0003.jpg (175.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Scan-110115-0002a.jpg (319.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Scan-110115-0001a.jpg (318.6 KB, 15 views)