Bank Line cargo. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bank Line cargo.

User Tag List

Old 5th November 2010, 15:57

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
I remember on Avonbank 1970 we carried a Rover 2000TC out to Honiara. Having "drifted" the car at almost every port before Rabaul wew were very pleased to get to Honiara and finally offload it. The proud new owner was standing ashore eagerly awating his new toy, when the dockers dropped a hatch board right through the windscreen. Oh s h 1 t!!!!
Thank you Waighty, I love this type of story, and can just picture it in my mind.
Old 5th November 2010, 17:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1984

Sugar out of Cairns on the Firbank. Not sure how but missed high tide or overloaded(?) had to cut our own channel through the sand bar to get out. A case of home James and don't spare the horses as we slid out.
Old 5th November 2010, 19:02

on the far east run loading westbound ,I can remember boxes of sandels that used to get broken into by the east and south african dockers.
Now was it just fantasy or were the sandels all loaded left shoes in one box and right in another and that dockers could be seen going ashore in two left or right shoes.

jim
Old 5th November 2010, 19:27
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - Present

Used to carry BATA shoes / boots from India (?). They were not shipped in pairs and were mixed in lots.
Old 5th November 2010, 20:14

My location
Jars of peanut butter, tins of cashew nuts, bound for BA from India etc. Some thieving git chucked some into my cabin, left me with no option but to eat the evidence.
Old 5th November 2010, 22:54
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - Present

Loading sugar from barges off Pimentel Peru on the Lossiebank -bleeding bags into the holds over christmas and new year 1977/78 - no hurry one barge a day over almost three weeks - we became part of the local scenery - invites to first foot the locals - trips on an old bus to Chiclayo to eat spicey chicken and drink cheap red wine. The sugar was bound for China but we all paid off in Panama after 9 months sailing from Mombasa to Bangkok to Japan back to S Africa across the S Atlantic - through Magellan Straits and north up the west coast of S America
Old 6th November 2010, 09:04
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
on the far east run loading westbound ,I can remember boxes of sandels that used to get broken into by the east and south african dockers.
Now was it just fantasy or were the sandels all loaded left shoes in one box and right in another and that dockers could be seen going ashore in two left or right shoes.

jim
Brings it all back, Jim... Can remember being in the hold in Durban watching cartons and boxes of silk items , dresses, blouses, scarves etc from the Far East. Shoes too. The African dockers would go ashore at the end of the shift all dressed up in gaudy flowing silk dresses and 2 left shoes, singing and dancing in their usual cheeful way..
Old 6th November 2010, 11:02

My location
Sugar seemed to come from everywhere, loaded in Fiji from a vey small Jetty with a small railway running along a very long jetty. We had picked up all the labour in Fiji and they lived on top of No.3 Hatch. Good music at night. Also loaded in Maceio, Brazil, and fetched up in the Harbour swinging round the pick for about 2 weeks and when we got alongside it took 2 weeks to load. Howevber the consolation prize was the USHS Hope was alongside and their "Staff" were very friendly.!!!..........................pete
Old 6th November 2010, 12:44

My location
Big Hearted Bank Line.

In the 6o's, due to the Russian missile saga, relations between the US and Cuba were Artic Cold and all trade between them halted, Cuba was screaming out for lub oil. On the Forresbank, when we completed discharge of our City LIne charter cargo in Quebec and Montreal, CHEEKY Bankline gave us a parcel of Lub Oil to drop off at Havana on our way to Galveston. We were supposed to drydock on arrival Galveston, NO CHANCE, we lay for days while Capt Broadley begged our American friends forgiveness.
Old 7th November 2010, 00:19
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Loaded sugar twice,first time from Townsville all the way to St Johns N.B.,a 33 day voyage stopping at Christobal for fuel and fresh water for a few hours.Next time Cairns to Penang,a shorter voyage.
Another time we loaded bags of cement in Hamburg for New Guinea.Looking back now I imagine that cement must have been rock hard by the time we unloaded it as it poured down all night.We had already put sawdust on the deep tank bottom to dry it out so it was already soaking down there.I suppose when loading in the the Continent(old fashioned name for Europe?)time was of the essence.