Matco Clyde - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Matco Clyde

User Tag List

Old 12th April 2012, 20:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by william.marshall439 View Post
Clive, Nice to hear from you, hope your happy ashore and have a decent job, are you still catering. I stayed at sea until I was 59, finished up with PNTL for 13 years. I have been ashore now for 8 years, not doing so bad but still have an interest in the old times, remember nearly all the names mentioned, best regards to you Clive and your family. Bill
No Bill hung up my apron after leaving the Clyde.
Wanted a complete change , past ten years working in childcare.
Now managing a home for 12 - 18 year olds who have emotional and behaviour problems. Demanding but no more so than dealing with a boat load of AB's in the North Sea for many years.

Still have snap shots ( memories) from those good old days though.
Nice to catch / link up with others on this site and see which paths they took. Blast from the past last night when Steve Houndsworth sent a thread.

What are you doing now ?
Lovely to hear from you again.

Clive
Old 18th April 2012, 11:28

Smile

Clive, Nice to hear from you, hope your happy in your shore side job, it sounds pretty demanding, as for me I'm happily retired, just mess about in the garden making would you believe it model ships and garden things like wheelbarrows/wishing wells etc, keeps me busy. Unfortunately I have Parkinsons disease so it limits my activity, but at least I am still alive. After Matco I was on the I.O.M. ferry's for 2 summer seasons then went to PNTL, them nuclear fuel ships running to Japan. I was there for14 years then retired at 59. I have 3 pensions plus my state pension so it's better than working. good to hear from all the lads, all the very best Clive, best regards Bill
Old 12th May 2012, 11:36

Matco Clyde 99 - 01

Clive, Chaps,

Great to see posts from you all. Pleased to hear so many of the lads are doing well, but very sad to hear of Lucky's passing. He was a top bloke.

I'm actually sat on the Bridge of a tanker at the moment, loading off the coast of Equatorial Guinea. Been down here for 9 years now, offshore for 2 years before becoming a Mooring Master. 28 day rotation so plenty of opportunity to see the Mighty Foxes.

Clive - I would have gone to Carrow Road this season for the 5th Round Cup tie but you lot bottled it and only gave us 2,500 tickets. Justice was done in the end though!

Best Regards

Rob Pressler (ex Clyde Chief Officer)
Old 6th November 2012, 17:23
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Hi Dave ,Hiram here. Just been reading all the post from my old mates on the Clyde so I thought I'd sign up and join the crew one more time.Sorry to hear that Lucky as passed away he was a fine man.It must be almost twenty years ago since I signed off the Matco Clyde for the last time doesn't time fly by.
Old 6th November 2012, 18:48
Department: Deck
Active: 1979 - Present

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID BARRETT View Post
Hi Dave ,Hiram here. Just been reading all the post from my old mates on the Clyde so I thought I'd sign up and join the crew one more time.Sorry to hear that Lucky as passed away he was a fine man.It must be almost twenty years ago since I signed off the Matco Clyde for the last time doesn't time fly by.
Hi hiram, great to hear from you, been a long time since we last saw each other, so what are you doing now, still doing dinky toys with blackie or what. I'm still at sea, bunkering down on the Solent, good job, month on month off and decent money. Have heard from a couple of lads on this website, I.e Clive jones, dave best and ken Taylor. Once again mate, great hear from you keep in touch.
Regards hounddog , (dog).
Old 6th November 2012, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
Hi hiram, great to hear from you, been a long time since we last saw each other, so what are you doing now, still doing dinky toys with blackie or what. I'm still at sea, bunkering down on the Solent, good job, month on month off and decent money. Have heard from a couple of lads on this website, I.e Clive jones, dave best and ken Taylor. Once again mate, great hear from you keep in touch.
Regards hounddog , (dog).
Hi hounddog glad to hear from you.I was just surfing the net and came across ships Nostalgia and read all the posts.Sorry to hear about Lucky passing away he was a top man.No I am not doing dinky toys anymore with Blackie that all ended when I got divorced and that was 13 years ago so I haven't seen him since then.I have been working now for almost 13 years at McVities cake company making cake bars.I do a couple of days on and then have a couple off for about three weeks and then have a week off so it's a bit like being on the Clyde again.All this is going to change next year however with new shift patterns coming in which will not be as good.

All the best
Hiram.
Old 6th November 2012, 20:42

Smile

Quote:
Hi hounddog glad to hear from you.I was just surfing the net and came across ships Nostalgia and read all the posts.Sorry to hear about Lucky passing away he was a top man.No I am not doing dinky toys anymore with Blackie that all ended when I got divorced and that was 13 years ago so I haven't seen him since then.I have been working now for almost 13 years at McVities cake company making cake bars.I do a couple of days on and then have a couple off for about three weeks and then have a week off so it's a bit like being on the Clyde again.All this is going to change next year however with new shift patterns coming in which will not be as good.

All the best
Hiram.
Hi again hiram, well working in McVities eh, that's abit different from going to sea, sorry to hear about divorce, I got divorced as well, I'm remarried now and very happy for the last 13 years. So you lost touch with blackie then. Do you remember Bri holloway and Andy ward, well I'm still in touch with them, jimmy fethon in on pilot boat on the Humber, he must due to retire by now,seen him a couple of times.please can you send friend request on Facebook again as it seems to have not accepted you at my end.

Cheers and all the best. Steve (dog).
Old 6th November 2012, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
Hi again hiram, well working in McVities eh, that's abit different from going to sea, sorry to hear about divorce, I got divorced as well, I'm remarried now and very happy for the last 13 years. So you lost touch with blackie then. Do you remember Bri holloway and Andy ward, well I'm still in touch with them, jimmy fethon in on pilot boat on the Humber, he must due to retire by now,seen him a couple of times.please can you send friend request on Facebook again as it seems to have not accepted you at my end.

Cheers and all the best. Steve (dog).
Hi Hounddog Glad to hear you are happily married.I have just been looking at your photos on facebook have you had any more kids or are you a granddad? I can't grumble about McVities since it as aloud me to keep in touch with my two kids. The ex buggered off to Northern Ireland with them so I have to fly over there to see them and then hire a car that's the legal system for you.I to have had a lady friend for the past 13 years we live together.Yes I have lost touch with Blackie and don't know what he is doing now. I do remember Brian but I can't remember Andy.I will send you another friends request.

All the best

Hiram.
Old 6th November 2012, 21:42

Quote:
Hi Hounddog Glad to hear you are happily married.I have just been looking at your photos on facebook have you had any more kids or are you a granddad? I can't grumble about McVities since it as aloud me to keep in touch with my two kids. The ex buggered off to Northern Ireland with them so I have to fly over there to see them and then hire a car that's the legal system for you.I to have had a lady friend for the past 13 years we live together.Yes I have lost touch with Blackie and don't know what he is doing now. I do remember Brian but I can't remember Andy.I will send you another friends request.

All the best

Hiram.
Hope you got this message as I was suddenly cut off. According to facebook we are friends so I can't send you another request.Have you got the right David Barrett as there are two me's on facebook. Someone at work put me on for a joke so just try each one.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:42

Steve , where is Brian H these days, I live in a little village just outside Watton. Where I used to pick Brian up from in the car hire on joining.
Assuming he has moved away from the area now. Would be great to track a few others down. Someone told me Dave Sheriff is in Costa RIca,any ideas where I'm heading that way in the summer on holiday. Clive
Old 7th November 2012, 11:05

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive jones View Post
Steve , where is Brian H these days, I live in a little village just outside Watton. Where I used to pick Brian up from in the car hire on joining.
Assuming he has moved away from the area now. Would be great to track a few others down. Someone told me Dave Sheriff is in Costa RIca,any ideas where I'm heading that way in the summer on holiday. Clive
Hi Clive, Brian is still living in Watton, but due move very soon, don't exactly know when and were. Sorry don't know about dave sheriff. Well I hope you and your family are well.a few more ship mates have been in touch and spoke to hiram last night as you know..anyhow Clive all the best.
Best regards Steve (dog).
Old 7th November 2012, 14:35

Cheers Steve.
Its a wonderI have not bumped into him in Tesco or high street.
Hope you are keeping well + pass on my best wishes to anyone
else
Maybe one day we should have a reunion party.

Clive
Old 20th November 2012, 00:47

hi everyone just wanted to say hello to everyone from the clyde,was one of the happiest ships i was ever on,loved it when my mate tuesday joined and andy wright,was also on sugar trader with clive ,some great times and lots of laughs (i am still pretty clive lol)so sorry to hear about lucky a great guy have a pic of us on the trader with lin from birmingham clive will post it sometime
paula
Old 20th November 2012, 23:26

Matco Clyde

Now that is a major piece in anybodys jigsaw puzzle.
What a wonderful surprise hearing from you again Duncan ( Paula ).
Never a dull moment in your company and such fun , remembering our time on the Continent, South Africa and the rest of the World with fondness , Sugar Line and re united later on the Matco Clyde

Hung up my apron approx ten years ago, which path did you take ?

Best Wishes

Clive
Old 21st November 2012, 23:27

hi clive nice to hear from you billy (tuesday) told me that he has spoken. after i left the matco clyde and joined the RFA for about 6 years then left and helped tuesday to run her hotel in blackpool.then down to torquay to help her in her cafe. after that i went to work as a catering manager in the training marine camp in exmouth. after that i left to be the masters butler at trinity collage for 4 years before coming to london as house manager looking after VIPS i still have a photo taken at christmas on the sugar trader of the catering staff including yourself @ lynn hudson we had some great laughs i was very camp lol do you remember when captain callahan asked the catering officer on inspection why tuesday had a photo of an AB ON HIS BULKHEAD TUESDAY TURNED ROUND AND TOLD HIM HE LOVED HIM LOL IT WAS GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU WE HAVE SO MUCH TO TALK ABOUT TAKE CARE BEST WISHES PAULA X
Old 25th November 2012, 13:56

Wow Paula thats a pretty impressive c.v .
I left the sea approx 10 yrs ago. Briefly working at RAF Marham in the Officers mess.
Then went into childcare, now running a home for 12 - 18 years with emotional and behavour problems, demanding but very rewarding work. Still travelling around the globe at every opportunity.
Great hearing from you again. Last I heard from Andy Wright he was a bus driver in central London.
Old 29th November 2012, 13:30

Matco Clyde

Hi again Clive and Paula, nice to hear you are all doing well for yourselves, such a change in everyones career path, who would have thought, as for me I remained at sea until age 59, not doing so bad at the moment but I have Parkinsons so I am limited in my activities, but still get around. I remember with fondness the times on the Clyde and most of the names mentioned, best wishes to you all
Old 29th November 2012, 13:39

Matco Clyde

Hi again Clive and Paula, nice to hear you are all doing well for yourselves, such a change in everyones career path, who would have thought, as for me I remained at sea until age 59, not doing so bad at the moment but I have Parkinsons so I am limited in my activities, but still get around. I remember with fondness the times on the Clyde and most of the names mentioned, best wishes to you all, Bill
( Remember that little fat hairy chested baldy geordie guy)
Old 30th November 2012, 13:32

Matco Clyde

Hi Bill
Nice to hear from you again and it is great being able to link up with others who have come onboard and found this site.
Interesting to track down movements after so many years, I think the ' Clyde' had a special bond with its long serving crew.
The North sea could be a God Foresaken place at times and that Beryl Field got so frustating when you were due off and delayed.
But we did have some laugh's on route, I can recall being away over Christmas quite a few times and the charaters we had! making it all very 'Merry' drifting off Lerwick.
Sorry you have not been in the best of health recently, but still sounding happy and active, I have recently reduced my hours concentrating on walking my dogs and watching my beloved Norwich City FC.
Seasonal greetings and best wishes to all.
Clive Jones.
Old 9th January 2013, 23:20

My location
Hi to all my old shipmates off the Clyde. Sad to hear about Lucky he was a gentleman. Still living over in Costa Rica but always pop home in the summer to visit family, grand kids do that to you,lol. Do a bit of agency work at sea on the ferries to pay the rent while I'm there. Usually with Calmac in Scotland.
Best regards to you all
Dave
Old 10th January 2013, 11:27

Blast from the past Dave, one of the original Matco boys.
We had some laughs on that boat brother.
Just booked my hols ( 30th July ) to Costa Rica Cahuita area on Caribbean Coast anywhere near. ' fancy a beer'
What are you doing over there ? in touch with quite a few of the other guys on here
Regards
Clive Jones / Cook / Norwich City FC.
Old 10th January 2013, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
Hi to all my old shipmates off the Clyde. Sad to hear about Lucky he was a gentleman. Still living over in Costa Rica but always pop home in the summer to visit family, grand kids do that to you,lol. Do a bit of agency work at sea on the ferries to pay the rent while I'm there. Usually with Calmac in Scotland.
Best regards to you all
Dave
Are you Dave Sheriff also known as Omar I was called Hiram.
Old 11th January 2013, 18:12

My location
Alright Hirem, yes it's Dave, how are you? Haven't been called Omar for a few years lol. Also hola Clive, so your coming to Costa Rica!!
Unfortunately I'll be back in the UK in the summer so won't be able to have that beer with you! If you send me your e-mail I'll be able to give you the info on where to go over here. If you haven't already booked check out my brothers site discoverycostarica.com that should give you some idea of what to do here!
All the best
Dave
Old 11th January 2013, 19:07

Clive [email protected]

Thanks Dave
Got my places booked up already. Playa Negra Guesthouse, and Korrigan Lodge both on Caribbean coast also Bella Rita near San Jose airport.
Will check out your brothers site though.
Where you living + what you doing out there
Best wishes
Clive
Old 11th January 2013, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
Alright Hirem, yes it's Dave, how are you? Haven't been called Omar for a few years lol. Also hola Clive, so your coming to Costa Rica!!
Unfortunately I'll be back in the UK in the summer so won't be able to have that beer with you! If you send me your e-mail I'll be able to give you the info on where to go over here. If you haven't already booked check out my brothers site discoverycostarica.com that should give you some idea of what to do here!
All the best
Dave
Great to hear from you Dave. I haven't seen you for over 20 years. What on earth are you doing in Costa Rica I thought you had a job on the boats tying up ships. All the best wishes for 2013.
Dave Barrett or Hiram to you.