Hull Trinity House Navigation School - Ships Nostalgia
10:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hull Trinity House Navigation School

User Tag List

Old 20th June 2018, 16:37

Hull Trinity House Navigation School

Surprised to note in the list of Navigation Schools, Hull trinity House is not listed. When formed in 1369 it was known as the 'Guild of the Holy Trinity' by 1457 all its members were all Master mariners and Pilots. In 1541 Henry VIII granted the House a Royal Charter although modern usage is based on a Charter granted by Queen Elizabeth I in 1581. It became a fully fledged Navigation School in 1786 with the object of clothing and educating boys for sea service and each boy must be between 10 and 11 years old and be able to read.

I attended the school 1951 to 1954 when you had to be at least 12 years old before being accepted, (luckily I could read!) at 13 during a school down period I managed to get myself a job on a distant water trawler ('Swanland' built 1914) out to Iceland and Bear Island which only furthered my desire to go to sea. I did further trips on trawlers in following years before leaving the school in 1954 to join PSNC at 16 to start my MN career.

It was a strict school (at that time) but unfortunately we, on reflection, seemed to have spent more time on uniform presentation and marching than we did on education, however the up side of our peculiar Nelson type uniform was that it was a girl magnet, but I have never regretted my time at the school because the strict discipline stood me in good stead for the rest of my life. My marine related working life, both at sea and on shore spanned 60 years having finally retired aged 73, quite a few years ago now, and I cannot think of another 'calling' that would have given me more experience and pleasure of life
Old 20th June 2018, 19:44

It's known as 'Zebedee's Yard' now.
Old 20th June 2018, 20:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

1957-1960.
Cannot disagree with the experience and discipline which set me up for life.
Old 20th June 2018, 22:09
Department: Navigation

The School still exists but is now known as Trinity House Academy. It moved location a few years ago and the old parade ground is now know as Zebedees Yard and is the venue for a variety of functions.

http://www.hthacademy.org.uk/

Here is a link to the Academy web site.

Regards

Howard
Old 20th June 2018, 23:35

Trinity House Hull

Thank you for your replies, doubt they do the Sunday Parades now marching through the town in our white trousered Nelson outfits come rain, snow or shine ending up at Holy Trinity Church, which I believe has had a change of name. More girls went to that church than any other in Yorkshire, as it was still in Yorkshire in my day, Humberside hadn't been invented...………..memories
Old 21st June 2018, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman38 View Post
Thank you for your replies, doubt they do the Sunday Parades now marching through the town in our white trousered Nelson outfits come rain, snow or shine ending up at Holy Trinity Church, which I believe has had a change of name. More girls went to that church than any other in Yorkshire, as it was still in Yorkshire in my day, Humberside hadn't been invented.....memories
Humberside has been done away with some time ago and the official address is The East Riding of Yorkshire, much to Most people's relief. Holy Trinity Church was "promoted" during the City of Culture" festivities last year and is now called "Hull Minster"

Cheers,

Howard
Old 21st June 2018, 11:21
Active: 1965 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball44 View Post
It's known as 'Zebedee's Yard' now.
It is after Zebedee Scaping Head Master from 1st November 1854 to early1900's. Head Master for over 50 years. he died in1909.

Alan
Old 21st June 2018, 23:30

I think a problem with sorting out Nautical Colleges in Hull is at least partly due to there being an embarrassment of riches. Trinity House, Boulevard College, the Trawler School and all the arrangements for getting your tickets, and the same staff working at more than one leave a confused picture.
Old 21st June 2018, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I think a problem with sorting out Nautical Colleges in Hull is at least partly due to there being an embarrassment of riches. Trinity House, Boulevard College, the Trawler School and all the arrangements for getting your tickets, and the same staff working at more than one leave a confused picture.
I did all my certificates at Hull Boulevard, (after pre-sea at Warsash). Second Mates in 1964, Mates in 1966 and Masters in 1970. The only sharing of staff I can remember is having Nobby Clarke for signals who occasionally did joint sessions at Trinity House. Otherwise I was not really aware that other lecturers worked at both colleges, and by the time of Masters they were very close to shutting Boulevard and merging with Trinity House in George Street.

Howard
Old 22nd June 2018, 00:38
Active: 1965 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardang View Post
I did all my certificates at Hull Boulevard, (after pre-sea at Warsash). Second Mates in 1964, Mates in 1966 and Masters in 1970. The only sharing of staff I can remember is having Nobby Clarke for signals who occasionally did joint sessions at Trinity House. Otherwise I was not really aware that other lecturers worked at both colleges, and by the time of Masters they were very close to shutting Boulevard and merging with Trinity House in George Street.

Howard

From what I can remember of the 60's at Trinity House about 64 George West Martin Dickinson and Geoff Hunter transfered to Trinity House from Boulevard. I did Second Mates and Mates at Trinity House between 68 and 71. When I came back for Masters in 74 the " Breeze Block " had been opened on George Street to cover the Adult section and the pre sea was all at Trinity House. I can not remember if Alan Hodgson came from Boulevard.

Alan
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudisid View Post
From what I can remember of the 60's at Trinity House about 64 George West Martin Dickinson and Geoff Hunter transfered to Trinity House from Boulevard. I did Second Mates and Mates at Trinity House between 68 and 71. When I came back for Masters in 74 the " Breeze Block " had been opened on George Street to cover the Adult section and the pre sea was all at Trinity House. I can not remember if Alan Hodgson came from Boulevard.

Alan
Alan Hodgson was at Trinity House the same time as myself 51/54, we both left in '54, the next time we met was January 1956 when walking towards each other in a street in Wellington NZ, if I remember rightly he was on the 'Port Victor' and I was on 'Salinas' haven't seen him since, but we did exchange a phone call a couple of years ago. Time flies!

We actually share the same birthday and year of birth, but he was, and still is brighter than me and a nice guy