Windows 10 - Ships Nostalgia
03:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows 10

User Tag List

Old 9th December 2019, 11:44

Windows 10

I am finding Windows 10 the most dreadful system I have ever had to learn to use!

How can I minimise a window? All the explanations on Google are perfectly clear (as politicians are fond of saying), but none of them work for me!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 9th December 2019 at 11:47..
Old 9th December 2019, 12:28

I don't understand, Bob. The symbols to minimise a window are at the top right of your screen. One to close it, middle one makes it smaller, the minus one, is to minimise.

P.S. If you can't see these symbols, just put the arrow on the top of the screen, near where the symbols should be, and click. You can also put the arrow to the top of the screen and right click to get minimise/restore options.

Last edited by duncs; 9th December 2019 at 12:41.. Reason: adding ps
Old 9th December 2019, 13:06

I know what you mean. I just put my windows 7 laptop on and as usual the top right shows a minus sign, a small square and an X as it has always done, and I used that to minimise. I have only just realised that on this Windows 10, that top line is not there. But I have no idea how to get it back. Maybe the desktop image is too big, and it is off the screen, but trying to reduce it by sliding across the corner has no effect either!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 9th December 2019, 13:30

I'm at a loss. I presume it is edge you are using. you could try using explorer, you'll find it in windows accessories, on the offchance it may be different.
Old 9th December 2019, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
I am finding Windows 10 the most dreadful system I have ever had to learn to use!

How can I minimise a window? All the explanations on Google are perfectly clear (as politicians are fond of saying), but none of them work for me!
Bob
Are there three small dots on the top right of your screen below the x ?
Old 9th December 2019, 13:51

Yes, there are three small dots, but they only show "Show - New Tabs - Close all tabs"

However, I have solved the problem after blundering about for many hours not really knowing what I was doing!

The minimise window buttons (minus small square and X) were missing! I have found them again though. If I connect using something called EDGE in Windows 10, it is there again and works. The problem is that the people who design these things assume that the user knows everything there is to know about them from the start! Actually, I had no idea what EDGE is initially, but after trying it in desperation, it brought the missing buttons back! I Googled it and found that it is the Windows 10 browser that works in a similar manner to Firefox, Chrome etc.

I couldn't get Word 2000 to install either, but eventually managed it. For anyone interested, during the install, when it comes to "Error" Press "Ignore" it will then move a bit further along the installation before coming up with "Error" again. Keep on repeating this, and after about a dozen errors and ignores, it will accept it! I really needed the outdated Word 2000 for the sake of the grid lines display in the drawing section. It is no good in Apache Open Office, and I don't have Microsoft Office, so don't know if it is any good there either, so not willing to pay out vast sums to find out!

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 9th December 2019 at 13:57.. Reason: Added the bit about installing Word 2000
Old 9th December 2019, 13:59

Quote:
Yes, there are three small dots, but they only show "Show - New Tabs - Close all tabs"

However, I have solved the problem after blundering about for many hours not really knowing what I was doing!

The minimise window buttons (minus small square and X) were missing! I have found them again though. If I connect using something called EDGE in Windows 10, it is there again and works. The problem is that the people who design these things assume that the user knows everything there is to know about them from the start! Actually, I had no idea what EDGE is initially, but after trying it in desperation, it brought the missing buttons back! I Googled it and found that it is the Windows 10 browser that works in a similar manner to Firefox, Chrome etc.
Bob

Bob
It does your head in when you first experience it (Windows 10). Takes a while to get used to it. You will find there are somethings you can't do like you did on Windows 7 etc. I still don't like it.
Old 9th December 2019, 14:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1960

Have you considered LibreOffice?

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/libreoffice
Old 9th December 2019, 14:20

Glad you got there, Bob. I, and probably others, assumed it was edge you were using, hence stumped with your problem. BTW, did you manage to install photoshop?
Old 9th December 2019, 14:59

No I didn't manage Photoshop, but I have two laptops and the old PC with it in, so I can use them for image processing.
I have never heard of https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/libreoffice but will have a look.

I have always had this problem with computers. When I first got one, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. When I got through to support, I was told I had to press the Start button (That was apparently common knowledge!) I wonder who designs these things, that really had me fooled!. I would have called it On/Off, but that would have been too simple!

The Sleep facility is useless on 10. On the old one, just a movement of the mouse would wake it up, but not on Windows 10, it is easier to just switch the whole thing off, and start again!

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 9th December 2019, 19:50
Active: 1955 - 1960

Quote:
.... I wonder who designs these things...
Er, Microsoft.............?

I hesitate to ask this, but have you considered Linux?
You won't get Photoshop, but you will get, [free and by default] GIMP.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/gimp

And one button on the taskbar [panel is the Linux term] to choose between switch-off, suspend, hibernate or restart.
Old 9th December 2019, 20:15

I did consider Linux, but past experience suggests that it would invove many hours of frustration with no guranteed outcome. I already have Gimp, but so far have not been able to find an adjustable grid on it.
At the moment, I am trying to find the Recycle Bin. Once again all the Google instructions are perfectly clear, but none of them have worked for me - I just cannot find it! The photo imaging is just an inconvenience because, as I said, I have it on two laptops and my old PC.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 9th December 2019 at 20:18.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 9th December 2019, 20:44

After a great deal of trouble, I found the Recycle Bin under Personalise - Themes - Desktop Icons - Settings - Recycle Bin, and moved it onto the desktop! (not a lot of people know that!)

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 9th December 2019, 20:59

Quote:
After a great deal of trouble, I found the Recycle Bin under Personalise - Themes - Desktop Icons - Settings - Recycle Bin, and moved it onto the desktop! (not a lot of people know that!)
I Would put all the icons you need on the taskbar if I were you, makes things much easier.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:23

Never had any problems with Win10 and Edge and actually think it is an improvement on a lot MS operating sysems that have gone before.
Depend very much on screen magnification and if you haven't sussed out the short-cut key...
Microsoft logo key bottom left then plus or minus key top right.
Old 10th December 2019, 11:42

After two days struggle, I have sorted a lot of it out, all by trial and error.
Here is another "mission impossible" question:

How do I find the page info (address) of a website I am on!

On Windows 7, I right clicked the mouse, and then View Page info, and I was provided with the link!

I cannot figure out how to do it in Windows 10.
Has anyone any ideas please?

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 10th December 2019, 12:27

Quote:
After two days struggle, I have sorted a lot of it out, all by trial and error.
Here is another "mission impossible" question:

How do I find the page info (address) of a website I am on!

On Windows 7, I right clicked the mouse, and then View Page info, and I was provided with the link!

I cannot figure out how to do it in Windows 10.
Has anyone any ideas please?

Bob
Don't you get that info when you left click on the three dots on the top right of your screen ?
Old 10th December 2019, 18:03

No, afraid not, but it is all academic now as it has just lost everything I have put in it over the past two days, files, programs, the lot! I have not lost anything, because I only copied the files into it from an external hard drive. It still works, and I can connect to the internet OK. But I will shortly be putting the old PC back in service, and sticking with Windows 7, supported, or not! Write this down to experience - just like being at sea again (it was like this every day with all the latest electronic "junk!"

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 10th December 2019, 19:09
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
I have no feelings one way or the other with Microsoft, but after using Windows 7 for many years I downloaded W10, during the 'free download' period a couple of years ago. The download was trouble-free (although it seemed to go on for ever) and I found little difference in the use of W10 from W7 and as far as I can recall, everything worked much as before.

Since then I have had no problems with it (cue for immediate blue screen of death!).

So although I'm sorry to hear of your problems, you can rest assured that they are not part of the normal W10 experience.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 10th December 2019, 19:49

Your problem is that the image is too large for the screen, or is not matched to the screen resolution.
When you install windows most things just work but if you have a graphics card in the PC, or laptop, which is not recognised straight away then you will need to install what are called 3rd party drivers. Drivers are software which enables hardware to work with other hardware.
If your PC or whatever came with some sort of 'accessories' disc then the drivers should be on there. Put it in, run it and see what happens.
If you are using a separate monitor, that might have its own controls to adjust the image size. without seeing I can't say.

I have been using MS software through all iterations from MSDOS - the change from one to the next is never that drastic, it just evolves.
(I also use Apple Mac, Ubuntu Linux and at a pinch Android - the only major differences I find is between desktop and tablet versions of Mac and MS).
Old 13th December 2019, 00:19
Active: 1964 - 1969

Ever since Win 7 came along, I've been using a programme called "Classic Start Menu" and I've installed it on three computers running everything from Win 7 to Win 10. It can make everything look and behave like Win 95! Magic - nothing new to learn. Very helpful for us geriatrics!

classicshell.net

http://www.guidingtech.com/48459/cla...nu-windows-10/
Old 13th December 2019, 00:45
Active: 1974 - 1981

How to fix computer problems like a pro.
1 Push keys at random
2 When the problem goes away, mutter in a voice loud enough to be heard by those around, "I thought it might be that."

If you can't fix it with a hammer it's a tech problem!
Old 13th December 2019, 00:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1978

Quote:

Bob
I got a mac years ago and haven't looked back.

The hardest thing to do with the mac is to learn not to keep looking for how to tweak it so it works better.

It just does.
Old 13th December 2019, 03:07
Active: 1953 - 1963

My favourite way for reducing the size of a W10 window is to click and hold at the top of a Window, then sliding it all to left or right edge. Then let it go and the window will take up half the screen.
Old 13th December 2019, 15:33

Files in Windows 10 will not minimise in the normal way! Anyway, I have given up on it now, and as I said, the Windows 7 is back. The Windows 10 PC is just being used for word processing, storage and images. I can work Windows 10 for the basic things, but a lot of the functions are not as straightforward as Windows 7. I have heard it all before when I was at sea "We have put this equipment on literally hundreds of ships, but this one is the only one that has trouble with it, and everyone else thinks it is great!" I am not talking about a clapped out vessel either, it was the brand new RMS St. Helena in 1990! (My first three months aboard were spent in drydock whilst they cut the side out and put a new engine it, after it destroyed itself in the last few days of the maiden voyage!).
Thanks for all the answers!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships