ex Ellerman City Line Crew - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
03:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

ex Ellerman City Line Crew

User Tag List

Old 13th April 2018, 22:02

Ex Ellerman Line Crew

Hello - my father George Herbert Salter was Ellerman Line crew. He took many super 8 films on his travels. He was master for a number of years. I have just had all his films transferred digitally and am in the process of uploading them to youtube here is a link to a couple of clips of City of Bedford and city of Agra. I have lots more to add but it may take me a little time. Many of the clips feature crew. https://youtu.be/Qp5y_8BxcMg and
. He ws with Ellerman from about 1946 until 1981. The clips are mostly from the 1960's
Old 14th April 2018, 10:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - Present

Ellermans from 1960 - 1871
Sailed with your dad on City of Agra 1962. Photo in gallery under City of Agra.
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...c-1962/cat/500

Last edited by Supercargo; 14th April 2018 at 16:17..
Old 14th April 2018, 16:11
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1962 - 2010

Sailed with your dad on City of Agra, he was C/O I was on my 2nd. ship as a deck apprentice think I joined her about mid 1962 and know we left her in Gibraltar on 23/12/62 stayed overnight in the Bristol hotel and flew home to Gatwick on the morning of Christmas Eve, I managed to get to Kings Cross just in time to get the last train to Doncaster that had a connection to Scunthorpe that day, no taxi available no phone at home so had to lug my trunk about 2 miles and wake my parents up to let me in it was a supprise for them in the early hours of Christmas Day. I also remember him getting his first command I believe it was the Bedford as a friend of mine Hugh Townsend was also on his first trip as C/O, they had an unfortunate event in the Atlantic when some tween deck hatch beams failed and the machines on them fell into the hold, if my memory is correct they were Catapillar Machines.
Old 13th January 2020, 19:58
Department: Purser
Active: 1969 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scelerat View Post
Dear Manus,
He was Harry Crompton, poor chap died of malarial fever not long after paying off.
I suppose we all have strong memories of our first trip, most of the other people I sailed with over the years have blurred features, certainly very few have names that I can recall.
Malin Head! That's quite out of the way isn't it! Furthest north, on the west coast, I've been is Westport. My wife has family in Clifden so we visit that area a lot, but that's it really.
I'm glad that you're still around! and well, I hope!
Peter
I sailed with Harry Compton my first trip. I was the writer he was 2nd steward, he was a great guy so sorry to hear he died.
Jon Denman
Old 13th January 2020, 20:02
Department: Purser
Active: 1969 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven steele View Post
I wonder if anyone remembers my father
He is (charles) kerr steele.
He was chief purser on the durban and other city liners.
Not sure of dates but was on the durban in the mid to late 70's
Hi, Steven
I sailed with your dad, Kerr, on the City of Montreal - 69 OR 70 i think. I was his A/P. Never forgot him, he taught me a lot and was a great boss, hope he is still with us.